Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is there a way to stop these bloody Dwarves from running away?  (Read 3425 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Is there a way to stop these bloody Dwarves from running away?
« on: February 08, 2012, 09:38:58 pm »

Problem: My fort is built so that the dwarves can see outside, pretty much at all times. There is a dark strangler siege outside. Now all my Dwarves are running around like morons, despite the fact that there is no way in heaven or circus that the stranglers can get them.

Short of delving the raws and removing the eyeballs from their brainless skulls, is there a way for me to stop the little fools from running around like a passel of alcoholic and decapitated chickens?
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Urist McUristy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a way to stop these bloody Dwarves from running away?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 09:47:51 pm »

I need an answer on this too, although for a different reason, I'll be watching.

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 09:55:00 pm »

Yeah, destroy the siege.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 10:22:59 pm »

Yeah, destroy the siege.

...Very Helpful.

This fort has zero military power, manufacturing the crossbows necessary to combat the threat would be difficult considering the fact that nobody will keep a job for five seconds without spazzing.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 10:32:33 pm »

nobody will keep a job for five seconds without spazzing.
Ok... so I carve the block here with the knif- AAIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEsklarglelarglesklargleblargleblehluggagagagagagaaaah!

JinF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 10:46:48 pm »

In short, if a Dorf can see an enemy, for whatever reason, he runs. So either kill the siege, remove your windows or move your dwarves somewhere where they can't see the enemy until the siege leaves.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 10:57:06 pm »

In short, if a Dorf can see an enemy, for whatever reason, he runs. So either kill the siege, remove your windows or move your dwarves somewhere where they can't see the enemy until the siege leaves.

Unfortunately this is impossible. The fort is designed in such a way that there are no windows, it's difficult to explain and I don't feel like posting screens. Suffice it to say that the dwarves live in a series of overlapping artificial valleys.

Instituting martial law (assigning everyone to a squad and then putting that squad on active), has kept starvation at bay. Nobody is freaking, but I can't order them to do manual labor either...

Edit: Forced to burrow all dwarves into supply tower for duration of siege...
Savescumming and trying something else now.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 11:04:53 pm by Draignean »
---

Malt_Hitman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 11:04:29 pm »

The only thing that will get your civilian dwarfs working again is if you can break their LOS to the enemy.

Barring some type of eye-rotting syndrome that you just happen to stumble on I think your only option is to kill the stranglers.  If you're not able to do it with dwarf power then you'd have to resort to a 3rd party program like Runesmith to get the job done.  I'd say throw all your dwarfs into squads and go forth and wrestle that siege down.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 11:14:36 pm »

The only thing that will get your civilian dwarfs working again is if you can break their LOS to the enemy.

Barring some type of eye-rotting syndrome that you just happen to stumble on I think your only option is to kill the stranglers.  If you're not able to do it with dwarf power then you'd have to resort to a 3rd party program like Runesmith to get the job done.  I'd say throw all your dwarfs into squads and go forth and wrestle that siege down.

Problem: Dwarves are too scared to pull the lever that would allow the siege to get at them

Cheat-Success! Went into the raws and removed the 2eyes from the Dwarven creature file. Works like a charm.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 11:30:34 pm by Draignean »
---

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 11:33:05 pm »

Unfortunately this is impossible. The fort is designed in such a way that there are no windows, it's difficult to explain and I don't feel like posting screens. Suffice it to say that the dwarves live in a series of overlapping artificial valleys.

Instituting martial law (assigning everyone to a squad and then putting that squad on active), has kept starvation at bay. Nobody is freaking, but I can't order them to do manual labor either...

..and I don't feel like posting screens.

We can't help you if you don't even try your hardest to provide us with the information we need.

Why not try Runesmith? Or DFHack.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 11:39:12 pm »

..and I don't feel like posting screens.

We can't help you if you don't even try your hardest to provide us with the information we need.

Why not try Runesmith? Or DFHack.

The screens are irrelevant. The siege forces have a constant LOS with the dwarves at all times, information beyond that is useless to the problem. At this point in the release the answer seems to be that there is no way to get dwarves on with their lives when they see an enemy.

Runesmith and DFHack are unnecessary considering that it's a simple and easily reversible process to remove the eyeballs from the dwarves.
The problem is not solved satisfactorily, but unless someone has another (non-cheat) way to do it, it's possible that there is now good way to do it.
---

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 11:42:38 pm »

How are the dwarfs seeing them anyways? You say it's above ground, but you don't use windows, then how are they seeing them anyways?

EDIT: Why don't you just draft a couple of dwarfs, even if they have no military skill as long as they kill a majority of the siege, they'll run away.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 11:45:31 pm by Prologue »

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 11:46:58 pm »

There's a simple way to keep Dwarves from running away from things. Chop off their legs so they can't move!
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 11:49:07 pm »

There's a simple way to keep Dwarves from running away from things. Chop off their legs so they can't move!

They'll crawl all over the ground instead.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 11:54:33 pm »

How are the dwarfs seeing them anyways? You say it's above ground, but you don't use windows, then how are they seeing them anyways?

The fort is built entirely using channels, buildings cut and the shaped from the top down. Wide parks are designated and then channeled down.  The dwarves are in above ground in the DF sense of above ground. They are technically a couple Z-levels below the surface, but they have open sky over their heads. As I said earlier, they live in a series of artificial valleys.

EDIT: Why don't you just draft a couple of dwarfs, even if they have no military skill as long as they kill a majority of the siege, they'll run away.

To Reiterate my earlier statements.
This fort has zero military power
Problem: Dwarves are too scared to pull the lever that would allow the siege to get at them

There is no way in hell the fort would have survived a direct confrontation. We would have been overwhelmed in seconds.
---
Pages: [1] 2