Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trading Depot  (Read 952 times)

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trading Depot
« on: February 08, 2012, 08:59:48 pm »

Well I hit the wrong key and traded 5 fire opals for a single wooden bucket.  When a trade is so extremely unbalanced the game should prevent the trade... especially when it's so early in the game.
 :(

I had to reload an old save game to prevent the trader stealing from me, thus I lost several hours.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
Re: Trading Depot
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 09:27:17 pm »

Do you think the greedy dwarves or humans would care that the deal is ridiculously one-sided? of course not! They think only of themselves, and that applies to trading as well.
Alternatively, you could cause drowning/ignition/some other painful death and get your opals back.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

JinF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 10:48:44 pm »

If the game prevented such trades then we couldn't use the caravans as garbage men, selling them all the goblinite and clothes they drop. Incidentally, turn on autosave so you don't lose hours if you mess up, but at most 1 season.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 01:19:29 am »

You could always seize the gems back, either the formal way through the trade depot, or the informal way through the volcano.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 09:02:59 am »

Five gems are totally not worth replaying multiple hours for.  Just dig up some more.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 04:55:44 pm »

Fire opals? Nothing to save scum for ;P

Edges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 06:14:59 pm »

Also, it's not a total waste. Word is, trader profit contributes to future caravan value. And it it was the dwarves you traded with, word will spread to the homeland and more migrants will want to come.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 09:29:50 pm »

My fortress design was seriously flawed anyways... this event just provided a legit reason to start again.

Malt_Hitman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 09:30:26 pm »

...word will spread to the homeland and more migrants will want to come.

Maybe it is worth savescumming to prevent that.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 12:39:57 am »

Well I hit the wrong key and traded 5 fire opals for a single wooden bucket.  When a trade is so extremely unbalanced the game should prevent the trade... especially when it's so early in the game.
 :(

I had to reload an old save game to prevent the trader stealing from me, thus I lost several hours.
you're gonna make FAR more one sided trades than that one and with a SMILE on your face before long in THIS game, dude.
dont sweat 5 gems, there's a billion more down there.
just go dig em up.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 02:28:46 am »

If you really really really want those fire opals back, plus everything else the caravan has, you can either do it legit by confiscating their whole caravan (ruins relations tho), or be cheap and deconstruct the depot to get all their goods for free (not sure if it has been fixed yet).