Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19

Author Topic: Free Web Browser-based MMORTS: Illyriad// Limited Recruiting for Bay12 Alliance!  (Read 57113 times)

GirlscoutBob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What's up with global chat and the snuggle frenzies?  I participated in some and got free resources out of it, but its still really weird to me.
Ah.. those snugglers and hugglers in GlobalChat...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
People are very friendly when you are new.. but as soon as you gain some mass those same snugglers can often turn nasty with little provocation! (let me know if you need any weapons or gold to fend them off ;)

Hmm, new continent coming soon you said? Well, that is probably the only change that could get me back into this. Fresh start does not sound so bad when it is in a brand new continent.

I will probably create a new account or two in the next few days.
Excellent, always nice to see someone return!

Yeah, seems like I joined at a pretty good time to help out the Alliance in the new continent by claiming land.
A very interesting time lying ahead. We'll be some of the first explorers to murderize the natives in the new world ;P

PS: Mail me or duuvian whenever you need an invite to the alliance along with some starting goods.

The Devs have added in herbs and other resources as well as the ability to send troops to the new continent, it looks like the New World shall very soon be open for us to colonize. Dorf-version of Brazil here we come!

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile

Whelp. Personally I'm loving the new tile types in the Broken Lands. Ferry Posts, Crumbling Lighthouses, Dormant Portals, Sacrificial Altars, LAWSTONES, and the awesome Magma Wonderland that is Calumnex. Still wish the Devs would actually get off their asses and get to the good stuff though. Namely Pathfinding and Factions. Still, excited about conquering the new world, gearing up my cities to exodus and trying to up my pop so I can spam settlers. Needless to say it's slow going, and the devs seem to be finishing BL far too quickly. T_T BL even has bears now! D: But soon my Colony Drops shall stake my claim on the new world or whatever. Gonna go sleep now, my second city just got settled, whoo!

GirlscoutBob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Broken Lands are now officially open.

Everything South of the ocean is fair game, with new players having the biggest land-grabbing advatage.
My 2 support cities will arrive in BL in 3 days.. they'll be able to support any alliance mates who pop up in the region.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is the dev post, http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/broken-lands-is-now-live_topic5648.html#75993, I didn't really bother reading it, but apparently it says some cool stuff.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 10:16:55 am by GirlscoutBob »

FireCrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks to the help of fellow bay12 members (Thanks, Wizard Cabal) I've got my capital teleported to the BL.
http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/#/World/Map/-669/-1360
Got a faction hub (Windseekers) not very far away from me, and I've found a link to Mordor in alliance chat.
http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/#/World/Map/540/-2933

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Like FireCrazy, I recently moved my capital to the BL.

For anyone interested to give the game a try (or to restart playing as I did), this is a very good time to get started. There is plenty of good land available for settling in the new region we started moving in. Our alliance, Slaves to Armok (StA), is also in a rather unique situation with this massive land expansion. Our older territories, Rill Archipelago and Farra Isle, are very close to the new one in Pamanyallpa, making it easy for us to support colonies without abandonning our homelands. In fact, the faction mentionned by FireCrazy (Windseekers) is the only one besides the Illyria Trade Council (a special case) that is present in both the old world (Elgea) and the new one (BL). They are both on Rill Archipelago and on Pamanyallpa... and the ITC also has a trade hub in Pamanyallpa not very far off.

Chaos Armor

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile

Maybe GlyphGryph would join back up.  :D
Lurking since 2009

Leerooooooooy walk forward twice

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile

Fear my mastery of the markets! Excellent way of using the millions of gold I got to get in some basic resources. Level 17 warehouse, so we're on the home stretch before I can spend 5 days researching the exodus technology. *sighs* Really wish we could spend prestige to speed up research.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

So, what is this game like? The OP made sense in a way and recent posts sound like its a good time to try it, but the OP didn't entirely sell me on it; it reminded me (sorta) of the kind of browser-based thing like Battle Dawn, where you can research and have resources and fighters etc, but get stomped and give tribute to some nearby high-level guy right after you're attackable.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, what is this game like? The OP made sense in a way and recent posts sound like its a good time to try it, but the OP didn't entirely sell me on it; it reminded me (sorta) of the kind of browser-based thing like Battle Dawn, where you can research and have resources and fighters etc, but get stomped and give tribute to some nearby high-level guy right after you're attackable.

It is, in mechanics, a more complex version of your typical browser-based strategy game. The community however is unlike any other such games that I ever tried (that is, dozens of them). While in most similar game feeding on the weaker players is the most efficient and sometimes even the only way to progress, this isn't really the case in Illyriad. Attacking weaker players is generally not very profitable, frowned upon by the community and can lead to the attackers becoming the next play toy for established players looking for an excuse to flex their muscles (and use their catapults).

Illyriad is one of the most peaceful game in the genre. A few reasons explain that. First, building a sizable city and army takes a lot of time (easily months for the former and weeks for the latter). Second, basic resources and even, to some extend, more advanced resources are easy enough to produce in large quantities, sufficient to fill your own needs, so there is generally little incentive to go after what others are producing. Time is the most important "resources" in the game, since you can only build/produce/research so much at a time. Resources production can usually more or less keep up with building/training/research. Third, even attacking another player can be a huge task. The combat mechanics generally favor the defending player(s), sieging is not an instant win/lose situation like in most games, it takes hours/days to finish, giving time to defenders to organize and counter the sieging attempt. So, generally, you won't be attacked by anyone unless you are in an alliance involved in a war.

I'm not very good at giving detailed descriptions and explainations, unless I spend the day doing so... which I won't do :P  But that covers some of the main difference with the typical browser-based games out there. I hope someone else can elaborate a bit more. Also feel free to ask any question you might have.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

For me (who played games like those all the time when all we had was a painfully old (but efficient with what little it had, good ol' XP) laptop and probably understood your post better because of that), that sounds wonderful and convinced me pretty well.

But first, I have some starcraft tournament to watch, so I'll try it later ;)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 06:56:44 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm a newbie Orc ready to rock!
I've registered through a referral URL GirlscoutBob has put here.

IGN: picky
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 06:20:50 am by dorf »

GirlscoutBob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm a newbie Orc ready to rock!
I've registered through a referral URL GirlscoutBob has put here.

IGN: picky

Cool beans. Handy thing about the referral link is that I can send an alliance invite with some starting goods the very moment you join ;P
IGM me if you need anything, like a spear or a beer!

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Cool indeed.
I've received like 5 caravans of stuff from random veteran players already, heh :)

Assuming you can see my town's location, do you recommend a relocation?

FireCrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you're relocating, go to the new Broken Lands, at the StA territory, where I'm at :P
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 02:51:21 am by FireCrazy »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19