Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19

Author Topic: Free Web Browser-based MMORTS: Illyriad// Limited Recruiting for Bay12 Alliance!  (Read 57119 times)

GirlscoutBob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My apologies for not replying sooner, I've had a bit of a hectic week; Luckily I have a couple of hours off today :D

So, I just joined StA and was wondering where I should settle. I have been considering -622|-814 in southern Azura, since it's quite close to some good plots and the other cities, without being too intrusive.

Great spot! However, just one square down, -622/-815, is slightly much more better :P
Mainly because it will allow you to claim all the good food sovereignty around for about half the price than when moving to the square just above it. Its prolly the best 5-food square in the area, most excellent to move your 1st city to.

PS: I'll send a list of some more nice spots to the rest of you as well when I take a break in a couple of hours!

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks, I'll go there then.

Edit: Done.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 10:28:03 am by sebcool »
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile

I think I'm going to move to -527/-887 soon, so if you all could leave it for me I'd be quite grateful :)

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile

I could use a new spot, too! SleepyFellow is my in game name, or just let me know where you want me right here. I'm not picky. I'll take a leftover crummy spot.

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile

Anyone still playing? I just discovered the game and might want to join the bay12 alliance if it's still active.´

Edit: nvm. I found the alliance and asked for an invitation. :) Just need to know how I can move to the part of the world where the most of the B12 players are. So that I can move later game. My ingame name is McDwarf (yes, I know - but couldn't think of a better one when I was registering, heh.)

Edit2: I found out how to move the city, yeah. Just need to wait until I get out of the newbie protection.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 09:11:09 pm by rumpel »

DePaul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ATTENTION!

They will soon be opening up the Broken Lands in Illyriad as a map extension - the Slaves to Armok are calling for settlers to establish a strong foundation in this new land!  My name in Illyriad is the same as here - send me an IGM for more info!

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How easy is the game to get into, and does it play like most other Browser City Builders (Do a few clicks each day and then wait)?
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile

It's quite easy to get into if you are worried about other players ruining you before you become well established. Doing that is frowned upon and is a valid casus belli for intervention by large alliances.

If you are asking if you will have to wait for your resources to slowly fill up, then no, established players produce much more than they can use and can easily send you more than you will need to upgrade your own resource storage and production buildings. StA can handle anything you'd like to request, but the Illyriad community is tolerant of requests for basic resources from new players in the global chat, terming the resulting shipments 'Care-a-vans' though they won't send you weapons as it might get a new player in trouble before they understand the necessity of diplomatic skills. StA can send you weapons and stuff for diplomat units though. StA can also send you millions of gold, more than enough for you to purchase resources on the player run markets if somehow we forget to send you our own resources. This gold will also allow you to pay upkeep for a larger army and diplomat force than you would normally have as well as allowing you to set your city taxes to 0% which will grant you a production bonus to basic resource production.

Finally, StA has a large alliance bank of Prestige points donated to it by members. This pool is accessible by all members and prestige points allow you to instantly complete buildings along with some other uses. This means when build times are long you can shave days of construction off as long as you have the basic resources required to queue up new buildings. I'd recommend waiting until build times are longer than a day per building before using it though, as it is a finite resource (though we are well stocked at the moment.) There is also a small cost to activate prestige mode for one week, which allows you to start using prestige for various things so it's slightly more efficient to have your resource stockpile full and ready to turn into instant buildings.

Early on buildings and researches complete somewhat quickly, a few minutes at the start. Later on they will be well over a day to complete. However by that time you will have new cities to do things with. In addition there are a fair number of non-building or research things you can do, such as sending out miners and other resource gatherers, sending out your army to slay the foul armies of animals for commander experience and for your skinners to process their remains into rare ingredients, or if you are willing to pay the consequences sending out thief diplomats to other players to loot their cities. There are plenty of things to do in an early city due to low build times, and plenty of things to do in later accounts despite long build times due to having things like resource collectors or armies in multiple cities.

If you do decide to start, you will need to complete a research I forget the name of before you can accept our invitation to StA. In addition I'd recommend focussing your upgrades on your storehouse. At a level 15 storehouse you unlock the warehouse research which lets you build a warehouse that can hold many times more than a storehouse. Once that is built we can send you very large shipments of basic resources at once instead of many small ones. Once the build time on your storehouse starts getting to however long is too much for your taste, I recommend building some lower level buildings while you are playing then queue up storehouse or other long buildtimes for overnight or whenever you won't be logging in for a while. Another thing to do is queue up fast build times and let them build while you do other things like quests in all your cities or send out gatherers or read your messages. If you do 5 minute build times like that often they will complete by the time you are done doing other things, and you can queue up long build times before you logout.

One last thing is that you are allowed to have two accounts, but no more. If you find you enjoy the game, I highly recommend having two. It will grant you roughly twice the power you can exert. Also it will double the amount of things you can do before you start the waiting. You cannot use one account to support the other. You can do trades between them I am fairly certain, but eventually both will be self sufficient. Personally I've never done much cross account trading and I used to warn new players not to either but it doesn't seem to be an issue as long as both benefit in the same way two separate players trading could expect to.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 02:34:26 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

FireCrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Requesting invitation to StA, and I have no idea what I'm doing. IGN: FireSentinel

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile

I invited you and sent you some stuff. Before accepting the invitation you'll need to complete one of the researches, but the invitation will stay valid until you do.

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:

GirlscoutBob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Some huge updates coming in!

First one is small; The Devs are laying the groundwork for naval units (starting yesterday).
For now your caravans turn into ships when they need to cross water.. but later on you might need dedicated trade and battle fleets (at least if you are island-folk).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The second, and much much larger update.. coming in the next couple of weeks: A new continent called The Broken Lands.
Great news for any new or returning players, as the current Top alliances won't be able to explore the New World in force... most of the top vets already have 8-10 cities in the Old World, making a move for them to the new world infeasible unless they wish to sacrifice the power and standing they currently have in the old world (and with an ongoing war between the top alliances, their expansion to the new continent will be even slower!). This makes expansion into the new world very fair for new players and sets everyone on equal footing. (Moving and already established city from the Elgea to the new continent is possible, but would take weeks).

Except for StA... our geographical good fortune means we are not only the closest established alliance to the new continent.. be we are also capable of taking control of the major trade routes between the old world and the new world (I'm certain we'll be doing lots of trading with the NPC natives, we need to liberate their Inca gold and the need to pay the blood tax!)

In the North (Elgea), the areas we control almost exclusively in red:
In the South (The Broken Lands), the new continent coming soon, and our current expansion plans:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If you wish to join StA in Illyriad, http://illyriad.com/?104473, we'll fill your stockpiles and help your first city grow so that you can explore the new world in force the very moment it opens (fresh players will have first picking thanks to the city teleportation spell, which your Capital city can do once.. and only once).
I will exodus one of my cities to the new continent the moment it opens.. it will take about a week to get there, but will serve as a trade hub with our Homelands and support any new StA cities that pop up near it. (Due to this city being as far South in Elgea as possible, it'll get there at least a week before anyone else from a Top alliance can.. an excellent advantage!)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile

First one is small; The Devs are laying the groundwork for naval units (starting yesterday).

:o :o :o

It's true what Bob said, Slaves to Armok is in a great position for this map expansion. People with few cities or new players to the alliance are going to be especially advantaged.

Why you might ask? The answer is that because some map tiles are much much better than others, people who can arrive first will be in a good position to have some of the best city locations in the game. According to people who have actually looked, the Broken Lands has even more of these locations than Elgea.

An example of a good spot would be a 7 food square (meaning you can have 7 farm buildings, which means your city can produce more food) surrounded by high food squares (which you can claim sovereignty over and build a structure that gives you a percentage bonus to production depending on the square attributes.) Buildings consume food equal to the population they give, and population is required to settle new cities. Thus a city with 7 farms and good food sov squares will make more food and thus allow better buildings and more population towards settling a new city without having to import food.

Remember though your first city will usually be stuck with 5 farms (except maybe if you exodus it, but that would be an effort) even after teleportation so you'd want to save a square like the above for your second through tenth city.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 10:39:46 am by Duuvian »

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What's up with global chat and the snuggle frenzies?  I participated in some and got free resources out of it, but its still really weird to me.

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm, new continent coming soon you said? Well, that is probably the only change that could get me back into this. Fresh start does not sound so bad when it is in a brand new continent.

I will probably create a new account or two in the next few days.

FireCrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, seems like I joined at a pretty good time to help out the Alliance in the new continent by claiming land.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19