Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Separating good quality from poor quality?  (Read 564 times)

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Separating good quality from poor quality?
« on: February 08, 2012, 05:08:44 pm »

I searched the forums yet no luck.  How do I separate the good stones(petrified wood) from the bad stones(clay stones)?  Same question for other items such as metal bars.

Thanks

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Separating good quality from poor quality?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 05:11:00 pm »

Stockpiles to separate by area, and you can turn off their usage in the z-stones screen. No way to force a certain workshop to use a certain stone, sadly. They almost certainly will if it's next to them though, so stockpiles usually work.

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 05:21:34 pm »

You can forbid the materials, or limit the dwarf in a burrow.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 05:39:45 pm »

Stockpiles to separate by area, and you can turn off their usage in the z-stones screen. No way to force a certain workshop to use a certain stone, sadly. They almost certainly will if it's next to them though, so stockpiles usually work.

Dorfs will take from the closest item, taking into account z lvls.

So they will go on a pilgrimage to grab some mudstone even if there's obsidian 3 tiles away, if the mudstone is just 1z lvl below them.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 05:51:54 pm »

You can take advantage of this by placing stockpiles directly below the workshops that they are for rather then next to them. Also note that sometimes dwarves will grab the nearest stone to where they accepted the task, which is not always the same as the one nearest to the workshop.

Also if you really want to be OCD about it I believe that DF Hack has a utility that can edit work orders to only accept particular materials (such as only making those mugs out of obsidian.)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.