Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 67

Author Topic: The Space Race: Forum game(6/8 Players) Turn 24: 1969-1970  (Read 119632 times)

SoHowAreYou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Game
Re: The Space Race: Forum game(7/8 Players) Turn 21: 1966-1967
« Reply #825 on: May 07, 2012, 02:45:47 pm »

Go to the nano injector for your monthly vacination? If that doesn't work before we commercialize Eagle will research medicine for free.
Starting marching band will not be able to post everyday.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: May 07, 2012, 07:43:57 pm »

10ebbor10, I'm going to have to agree with SoHowAreYou: being able to cure the common cold would be pretty revolutionary (As it stands now IRL, we have to mostly wait it out if we catch it). Also, can I develop:
  • fuel tanks with fractional heights (i.e. 0.5m high)
  • thrusters with fractional heights
  • some sort of robot to do stuff related to nuclear reactors (could make them safer because it is now possible to make limited repairs on an operational reactor or something along those lines)
  • an external cargo bay
  • some sort of space assembly technology (so I could send space station parts in a compact but disassembled state, and put them together in orbit)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: May 08, 2012, 10:20:21 am »

10ebbor10, I'm going to have to agree with SoHowAreYou: being able to cure the common cold would be pretty revolutionary (As it stands now IRL, we have to mostly wait it out if we catch it).
    Unfortunately, due to the principle of evolution, if one of the strains becomes immune, you might have created a night incureable version of the common cold.
     Also, can I develop:
    • fuel tanks with fractional heights (i.e. 0.5m high)
    I suppose so, but why?
    • thrusters with fractional heights
    Same
    • some sort of robot to do stuff related to nuclear reactors (could make them safer because it is now possible to make limited repairs on an operational reactor or something along those lines)
    Why not?
    • an external cargo bay
    Nirur has one, so yes.
    • some sort of space assembly technology (so I could send space station parts in a compact but disassembled state, and put them together in orbit)
    Yes you can do that.
    [/list]

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
    • Appliance
      • View Profile
    Re: The Space Race: Forum game(6/8 Players) Turn 19: 1964-1965
    « Reply #828 on: May 08, 2012, 11:13:17 am »

Research:
    [Electronics Expert] Continue theoretical work on unmanned rovers.  (1k)

[Thruster Expert]  Let's make an ionic thruster.  (Yes, I'm aware they're only practical in space.) (1k)

Design an internal cargo hold for safe transit of items to orbit and beyond.  (1k)

Increase the reusability of the Space Shuttle hull.  (2k)

Designs:

Nope, no design.

Building:

Upgrade the Labs to add another level. (30k)?

Other:

Again, see Nirur's turn.  My launch schedule is in that.

Expenses: 35k (5k research, 30k construction)
    « Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 11:35:48 am by Toaster »
    HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
    God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
    • DON'T PANIC
      • View Profile
    « Reply #829 on: May 08, 2012, 11:17:19 am »

You can design 30 meter rockets. However the structure will collapse under it's own weight until you upgrade your hull technology. (2 stage to 30, 1 stage to 13)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
    • Appliance
      • View Profile
    « Reply #830 on: May 08, 2012, 11:28:31 am »

Crud.

I'll be changing that turn, then.
    HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
    God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
    • Appliance
      • View Profile
    « Reply #831 on: May 08, 2012, 11:37:15 am »

Two questions:  I'm pretty sure yes (and that I've done it before) but you can go ahead and spend the money coming in, right?

Also, could you add the building upgrade cost levels to the OP?  I was searching and couldn't find it.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
    • DON'T PANIC
      • View Profile
    « Reply #832 on: May 08, 2012, 11:52:13 am »

Two questions:  I'm pretty sure yes (and that I've done it before) but you can go ahead and spend the money coming in, right?

Also, could you add the building upgrade cost levels to the OP?  I was searching and couldn't find it.
    Yes. However that might give problems with an economic crisis.

Btw: 5000-10000-20000-30000-40000...

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #833 on: May 08, 2012, 05:53:10 pm »

How long does it take to add a docking system to an Explorer Mk II? I'd like to launch something at the start of the year, add a docking system to the shuttle, then use it three months into the year for a crew shuffling mission.

Do you have a preferred method of showing launch schedules?

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    Re: The Space Race: Forum game(7/8 Players) Turn 20: 1965-1966
    « Reply #834 on: May 08, 2012, 06:15:37 pm »

Research:
    -Basic Life Support Hub: Recycles air, and water to allow extended stays in space, works well in combination with the Agricultural Hub for my ship
    -Basic Crew Quarters Hub: Houses a crew to maintain the space shuttle, and a few extra.

Things you are designing:
    Excalibur I Continue designing this
    -Small Fuel Tank (5 Meter Height)
    -Small Thrusters (1 Meter Height)
    -Single Stage Hull (10 Meter Capacity)
    -Agricultural Hub (4 Meter Height)

Building things(If you want to)
    Spend 10.000 to construct an Arms Factory

Other things
    Rent out the spare level of the research lab to Britain
    « Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 07:03:07 pm by adwarf »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    Re: The Space Race: Forum game(7/8 Players) Turn 20: 1965-1966
    « Reply #835 on: May 08, 2012, 07:39:50 pm »

Building things(If you want to)
    Spend 20.000 to construct an Arms Factory
    A level 2 building is 15k(5k + 10k), while a level 3 building is 35k (5k + 10k + 20k)
    You need to research the commercialization of a technology, unless you're blatantly committing illegal copyright infringement (You'd still need the blueprints from somewhere, try allocating money for espionage) or mass-producing unsellable muskets for some unfathomable reason.

You might want to give more information on the crew quarters hub (size XOR crew capacity).

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #836 on: May 08, 2012, 08:13:16 pm »

The factory is just the base set-up I'm paying for, the machines, building, and such. The blueprints for the weapon will come whenever I develop my weapons starting next turn.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #837 on: May 09, 2012, 06:42:27 am »

More questions!

Can level 2 nanotech be used to research self-repairing solar panels?
    What does engine maximum fuel use actually represent, and what resets it (particularly for longer trips)?
    What's the formula for amount of repair materials needed to repair damaged station parts?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
    • DON'T PANIC
      • View Profile
    « Reply #838 on: May 09, 2012, 06:53:21 am »

How long does it take to add a docking system to an Explorer Mk II? I'd like to launch something at the start of the year, add a docking system to the shuttle, then use it three months into the year for a crew shuffling mission.

Do you have a preferred method of showing launch schedules?
    Not to long. Take it as a week or something like that.

Preferred method is having a summary of all transported goods at the end, as well as the goods transported noted seperately at every rocket launch.

The factory is just the base set-up I'm paying for, the machines, building, and such. The blueprints for the weapon will come whenever I develop my weapons starting next turn.
    Unless you're making some complicated weaponry. Ie things that normal factories can't/ won't produce, you don't need to build a factory for it.

More questions!

Can level 2 nanotech be used to research self-repairing solar panels?
    What does engine maximum fuel use actually represent, and what resets it (particularly for longer trips)?
    What's the formula for amount of repair materials needed to repair damaged station parts?
    -No. advanced electronics are above them.
    -The amount of fuel a single engine can use in a single turn. Resetted each turn.
    -There's no formula at the moment. I'd just go with percentage health you want to repair times the normal cost/weight of the station part. I do however intend to buff your station health next turn.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #839 on: May 09, 2012, 08:28:02 am »

So if low-thrust engines like the VASIMR engines can only use 100kg of fuel per year (but could presumably do this for every year of the journey), what are the mechanics of doing so for a long journey?
    Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 67