Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 67

Author Topic: The Space Race: Forum game(6/8 Players) Turn 24: 1969-1970  (Read 119416 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Space Race: Forum game
« Reply #615 on: April 12, 2012, 09:50:28 am »

((You didn't update my funds.
What is the success chance of my cockpit module for, a planned separate re-entry, escape from death and re-entry, or surviving the re-entry if the rest of the vehicle survives landing?))

CHASE

Research:
Lab 1st floor: Improve the success chance of space suits.
Lab 2nd floor: Space Stations: Theoretical. ($3000)
Lab 3rd floor (Shaiming Hu): Docking Bay weight reduction
Lab 4th floor (Yi shing): 4m space station exercise/physical therapy module to increase possible stay duration.

Design & Production
None.

Construction
Retool laboratory floor 4 for space station research. (2500)

Missions:
None.

Taikonaut Recruitment:
Spend $4000 recruiting people of at least .75 skill. (I wish to retire the numerical designations of dead taikonauts and continue on from nine.)

Other:
Aerospace department investment (year 3 of 5) ($1000)
Give Toaster whatever docking system data I research this turn.
Keep a copy of the current docking system blueprints

Total expenses: $10,000

Toaster: I'm really not going to have a vehicle worthy of my crew in the next few years unless I cut way down on station research. What do you want in exchange for the use of your vehicles for missions involving our joint space station for the next decade or so? I could loan out some elite Taikonauts, or give tech/money compensation.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Space Race: Forum game(8/8 Players) Full. Turn 16: 1961-1962
« Reply #616 on: April 12, 2012, 11:01:29 am »

Research: Mass drivers and element synthesisisation.
Manufacture: More D1's
Launch:.A d1. Take pictures of the eiffel tower, statue of liberty, kremlin, pyramids etc. etc.
Other: *sigh* Hold a giant press conference looking for scientists. Spend 5000.
Spend 3000$ on propaganda wherein an Austrian scientist grabs a west German flag and burns it with the hot plasma of a VASIMIR. Slogan: Is the German space program getting you somewhere? No.

Note: I'm like the north Korea of this game.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 12:28:23 pm by kingfisher1112 »
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: April 12, 2012, 11:03:07 am »

Research: Mass drivers and element synthesisisation.
Manufacture: More D1's
Launch:.A d1. Take pictures of the eiffel tower, statue of liberty, kremlin, pyramids etc. etc.
Other: *sigh* Hold a giant press conference looking for scientists. Spend 5000.

Note: I'm like the north Korea of this game.
I think it's better if you wait untill I have actually ran your previous turn before posting the next one.

Running it now, btw.

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: April 12, 2012, 11:23:48 am »

Must...stay...awake..for...turn!
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: April 12, 2012, 12:10:46 pm »

What time is it for you?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: April 12, 2012, 12:15:29 pm »

Must...stay...awake..for...turn!
Done . Turn finished and updated.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: The Space Race: Forum game
« Reply #621 on: April 12, 2012, 12:20:06 pm »

What is the success chance of my cockpit module for, a planned separate re-entry, escape from death and re-entry, or surviving the re-entry if the rest of the vehicle survives landing?))
It's for a planned seperate reentry. But it should work for the escape from dead one to, unless you're really unlucky and your ship gets damaged.

If the rest of the ship survives, the safe chance is 100%. That is assuming the rest of the ship is reentry capable( Toasters shuttle, reusable hulls and such, or ceramic plated hulls)

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: April 12, 2012, 12:30:17 pm »

Checkvmy other section. It's awesome.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: April 12, 2012, 12:38:17 pm »

Checkvmy other section. It's awesome.
Note, at the moment the VASIMIR has a 135% chance of exploding whenever used. I don't think standing near one is a bright idea. Also, mass drivers and element synthetization are going to take a long, long, long time.

While mass drivers might be usefull in small scale pretty quick, it's going to take a while before you can launch a rocket with them. As for element synthetiation, that is going to take a long time.( Really, you're creating atoms, that's several tiers higher then nanotech)

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: April 12, 2012, 03:51:44 pm »

10ebbor10, is my promise of a Mercury/Venus flyby about sending one probe past both planets, and if so how much thrust would that cost? Also, how easy is it to change my rocket design to use a different fuel?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: April 12, 2012, 04:03:42 pm »

10ebbor10, is my promise of a Mercury/Venus flyby about sending one probe past both planets, and if so how much thrust would that cost? Also, how easy is it to change my rocket design to use a different fuel?
As far as I know, it's about 2 probes on 2 flybies past Mercury and Venus. I forgot about I promise, didn't I?
Edit: Fixed that. You rolled quite good on the Pr roll.

As for doing a flyby, it's mostly a matter of calculations (ie, navigation tech) and the right amount of thrust at the right time.

I don't know about changing fuels. I think it will at least require a design mod. ( Which you will need to pay for.)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 04:11:00 pm by 10ebbor10 »

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: April 12, 2012, 04:25:41 pm »

OK, if I already did the Mercury/Venus flyby then I don't need to worry about changing the Redstone II design for the moment. Anyhow, here is my turn:
Research:
Dr Smith will improve our commercial battery technology (free)
Lab 1 with the help of Konrad Becker will reduce the weight of the reusable single stage hull. If it gets reduced to the minimum work on increasing the reuse chance (-$1000)
Lab 2 will increase the fuel capacity of the small AC thruster (-$3000)
Lab 3 will increase the power of the solid fuel (-$1000)
Research cost: $5000

Design:
Hyperion RLV (Reusable Launch Vehicle)
10m reusable single stage hull (2200kg)
1 small AC thruster (100kg)
6m fuel tank (6*225=1350kg)
3m payload space
Because of the high hull weight and the fact that the small AC thruster cannot use all of the fuel, this design cannot launch at the moment, though if either of those two researches are successfull I expect this to change.
Design Cost: $1500+cost of Hyperion

Construction:
Build a battery factory (-$5000)
Construction cost:$5000

Production:
1 Redstone II (-$775)
1 SEA satellite (-$1000)
Production cost: $1775

Launch:
Launch the SEA satellite using a Redstone II rocket. The SEA satellite will be carrying as many of the companies' experiments as possible.

Other:
Announce that we are going to send a probe into orbit around Mars in the next 2 years.
Retire the Redstone I design.

Total cost: $13275

All right, now a few questions:
  • You say that several organisations have approached ASTRO in order to do some space science. What proposals are they making, or can I just say "I launch a SEA satellite to perform their experiment"?
  • If I just want to land on the moon, does that entitle me to avoid the requirement that I have free space in my lander craft?
  • Can I release part of a technology or research to the world (i.e. can I give everyone up to [1] in moon maps at some point in the future?)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 11:24:45 pm by RulerOfNothing »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: April 12, 2012, 04:30:20 pm »

1. Yeah kinda, the compagnies are like that(a one time experiment, with now real benefit other than a cash bonus). The universities just seek to particapate in any further research programs.
2. ????
3. Um, yeah. That are just some slightly blurred maps.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Space Race: Forum game(8/8 Players) Full. Turn 15: 1960-1961
« Reply #628 on: April 12, 2012, 04:35:00 pm »

10ebbor10, a few questions before I put my turn up:
  • Do I need to add hull length for the capsule (or can I launch it using my Redstone II?)?
  • What is the thrust cost of going faster for interplanetary voyages?
  • How does researching electronics hardening work? (I note that you said that I could develop solar flare-proof hulls, are there any other ways of applying my solar flare research?
  • Do I need to extend the lander hull to accomodate my capsule? (I would assume not, but I want to be sure)
Also, there are two problems with the latest turn post: my income should be 13000+1300=14300 and there seems to be a problem with the closing tag of the "Astronauts" spoiler in my turn report.
1. Yes you do.
2. 75% travel time = 150% thrust
    50% travel time= 200%
3. You can either make your hullsolar flare proof or make the sattelite/ whatever you want to do solar flare proof or you can research a shield.( Basically just an extra layer of armor ) that you can take along with you
4.Unfortunately you do. However, you can design a barebone landing module( One that doesn't have a heathshield and therefore weight less but can't land on earth)
With that question about the lander, I am referring to your answer to 4 here. Also, can I make a design that doesn't work now, but might work later on in the year after research?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: The Space Race: Forum game(8/8 Players) Full. Turn 15: 1960-1961
« Reply #629 on: April 12, 2012, 04:43:26 pm »

10ebbor10, a few questions before I put my turn up:
  • Do I need to add hull length for the capsule (or can I launch it using my Redstone II?)?
  • What is the thrust cost of going faster for interplanetary voyages?
  • How does researching electronics hardening work? (I note that you said that I could develop solar flare-proof hulls, are there any other ways of applying my solar flare research?
  • Do I need to extend the lander hull to accomodate my capsule? (I would assume not, but I want to be sure)
Also, there are two problems with the latest turn post: my income should be 13000+1300=14300 and there seems to be a problem with the closing tag of the "Astronauts" spoiler in my turn report.
1. Yes you do.
2. 75% travel time = 150% thrust
    50% travel time= 200%
3. You can either make your hullsolar flare proof or make the sattelite/ whatever you want to do solar flare proof or you can research a shield.( Basically just an extra layer of armor ) that you can take along with you
4.Unfortunately you do. However, you can design a barebone landing module( One that doesn't have a heathshield and therefore weight less but can't land on earth)
With that question about the lander, I am referring to your answer to 4 here. Also, can I make a design that doesn't work now, but might work later on in the year after research?

I still don't quite get it. What do you want to do with the free space, what's it for? 

Everything that's going to land on the moon needs to be encapsuled in the lander(which needs to be encapsuled in the rocket, unless you bring it up seperatly and connect in space). Or you need to land the entire rocket. Even if something isn't coming back, you need to accomodate it . Of course you can attach things to the side of the lander module, but then there's a chance they fall of during the landing. 

Toaster did that before.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 67