Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 67

Author Topic: The Space Race: Forum game(6/8 Players) Turn 24: 1969-1970  (Read 119430 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: The Space Race: Forum game(8/8 Players) Full. Turn 14: 1959-1960
« Reply #525 on: March 23, 2012, 11:37:41 am »

Just Ansontan's turn and I can roll.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: March 23, 2012, 11:42:22 am »

Alright, last question. Does the docking system I got from CHASE count as a airlock, or can I make an airlock that is compatible with that docking system?
It counts. If you want to be able to detach capsules, both capsules need their own airlock.
I think I designed it with a single door, and you said it needed to be doubled up and would take a meter of space if used as a stand-alone airlock. Does emptying such an airlock of air take anything extra?
How much does my life support unit cost?

Is there any interest in renting out my life support units? I'd charge a reasonable usage fee, and a collateral of some sort. The collateral would primarily be to make keeping it and reverse-engineering it less tempting. Should the units be fairly cheap and I not suspect any foul play, the collateral would likely be returned if the rocket explodes.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: March 23, 2012, 11:50:47 am »

Alright, last question. Does the docking system I got from CHASE count as a airlock, or can I make an airlock that is compatible with that docking system?
It counts. If you want to be able to detach capsules, both capsules need their own airlock.
I think I designed it with a single door, and you said it needed to be doubled up and would take a meter of space if used as a stand-alone airlock. Does emptying such an airlock of air take anything extra?
How much does my life support unit cost?

Is there any interest in renting out my life support units? I'd charge a reasonable usage fee, and a collateral of some sort. The collateral would primarily be to make keeping it and reverse-engineering it less tempting. Should the units be fairly cheap and I not suspect any foul play, the collateral would likely be returned if the rocket explodes.
500. Any way it's quite cheap as lifesupport units go. The supplies required to get it working would cost 25 per 100 kg.

About the airlock thingy. If you want to use it to go into vacuum you either need 2 of them to double up, or depressurize the entire capsule. If you want to use them to connect 2 modules, you only need one.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 11:52:40 am by 10ebbor10 »

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: March 23, 2012, 08:21:18 pm »

Nope, i change it. No rocketing germany in the face.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: March 23, 2012, 11:24:27 pm »

Player name: Anderson Spaceman
C.A.S.P
Canada
Research: German scientist will develop a way for us to use satellites for imaging and intel.
I shall improve our current engines' power.

Designs: None new.

Other:
Look around Canada for a researcher that would like to join us.
Give kingfisher our rockets (I think you could use a helping hand )
Build 3 contact blasters
Build a new floor in the research lab.
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: March 24, 2012, 06:44:32 am »

Turn 15: 1960-1961
Note: In an attempt to speed up turns, I will now only recalculate designs on demand, rather then always.
         Also on Taikonaut training, you can increase the training speed. ( Speed training run) but that might result in casualties.

World news:

Canada and the United states just signed a new set of trade agreements.

Spoiler: Perks (click to show/hide)

County relations:
             USSR             US                Spain      Scot              China        W-Germ          Austria       Canada
USSR:    Neutral ,     Neutral,        T-A,            Neutral,         Neutral,      Neutral          Neutral         Neutral
US:        Neutral,      Neutral,        Neutral,       T-embarg0,   Neutral,      Neutral          Neutral         T-A
Spain:    T-A,           Neutral,       Civil war*,     Neutral,        Neutral,       T-A              Neutral         Neutral
Scotland:Neutral , T-Embargo,     Neutral,        Neutral,         T-A    ,        T- Embargo   Neutral         Neutral
CHina:    Neutral ,     Neutral,       Neutral,        T-A   ,           Neutral,       Neutral         Neutral         Neutral
W-Germ:Neutral ,     Neutral,        T-A     ,        T-Embargo,   Neutral,       Neutral         Cold war**   Neutral
Austria : Neutral ,     Neutral,        Neutral,         Neutral,        Neutral,      Cold war**   United           Neutral
Canada: Neutral ,     T_A     ,        Neutral,        Neutral,         Neutral,       Neutral        Neutral          Neutral

*See Khashyk's turn
**: See Ghazkull's turn. Cold war results in increased war fundings, but also occasional demands you have to meet or be fined.
Spoiler: German armamament (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Austrian armamanent (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Rebel armament (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spanish governement (click to show/hide)

W.A.T. Yearly report

Research:

1.Larger Fuel Tanks Finish it up (+10 Fuel Scientist). Work on the fueltanks continues.

2.Develop Thermobaric warheads as smaller ammunition for Artillery Grenades(+40 Secret Weapons Guy) Work here progresses slowly. The shells are about 50% complete, but the decreased size results in a decrease in firepower.

Construction:

Build two Regained II and another Small Nuclear Power Plant. The Regained II's are build, but there are several delays in the construction of the power plant, resulting in it not being ready on time. Half of the funds are wasted too.

Other:

Sell Power plant to German Government and look out for Energy Companies willing to buy some. You can't find any interested compagnies.
Build a third floor for research (10k if i am not wrong?) Done
Start a Public PR Campaign showing the benefits of Nuclear Power (5000). Canceled due to funds shortage.
Warfunds: You get 1000 extra war funds.

No random event

Expenses: 1150+ 2000+9000+10000= 22150

ASTRO Yearly report

Research:
Dr Smith will improve the reliability of the AC thruster (free) Work here progressess at an astounding rate.
Lab 1 will increase the efficiency of the AC thruster (-$1000) Work here progresses rather slowly, however the AC thrusters are getting increasingly more complex( 2000 for future upgrades)
Lab 2 will develop electronic safety measures with the help of Konrad Becker (-$1000) No progress is made here.( Also, this doesn't count as hull research, unless you want to design a solarflare safe hull)
Lab 3 will develop a 3 person space capsule (-$1000) Work here progresses quite fast.
Research cost:$3000

Design:
Recalculate the Redstone II using new fuel tank technology. (I might make another design but that depends on the answer to the question below) Done

Construction:
None this year.

Production:
2 Redstone II (-$1550)
2 SEA satellites (-$2000)
Production cost: $3550

Launch:
Launch 1&2: launch a Redstone II with a SEA satellite on it into LEO. Have the SEA satellite study space radiation levels and distributions, with special emphasis on the kinds of radiation that are most harmful to human beings. Share the results obtained with CHASE.

Both launches are succesfull. The final verdict is that the radiation levels are below harmfull values. Extra information on humans health is gathered too. The sattelites did notice however that the radiation levels increase whenever there's a solar flare, and that particulary big ones might produce harmfull radiation. Another obeservation is that the higher you go, the higher the radiation levels get.

Astronauts:
Recruit 2 astronauts with $2000. You get one extremely good astronaut, and a little bit less good astronaut.

Other:
Announce that ASTRO will send probes past Mercury and Venus in the next 4 years.
The announcement is a succes. +2 Prestige.

Total cost:at least $8550

C.H.A.S.E. Yearly report

Research:
Lab 1st floor: Space suits using the carbon filtration life-support technology. Work here progresses very fast. There where some problems initially (Like inability to move) but those were solved by lowering the internal pressure
Lab 2nd floor (Yi shing): Space station sleeping quarters. Work here progresses rapidely. The weight is cut back tremendously.
Lab 3rd floor: Upgrade the escape rocket success rate. work progresses fast here.

Design & Production
None.

Construction
None.

Missions:
None.

Taikonaut Recruitment:
Recruit three taikonauts. ($3000) You get a good one, a medium one and a bad one.

Other:
Aerospace department investment (year 5 of 5) ($1000) Graduation time: You get a quite good general scientist. (+10 to science)
Pay ASTRO for the results from their satellite radiation studies ($750 per successful launch.) Astro's information proves valuable. +1500

Total expenses: $8500

STARS Yearly report

Research
-Dr Faust lightens the Large Thrusters Work here progresses quickly. However complexity increased again. (3000)
-Lighten the two stage rocket Work here progresses very fast.

Design
Aliexis  shall redesign the Vengador to be less explody, except when required of course. Quite a few improvements are made.

Manufacture
Build 5 Vengadors

Missions/Other
Alexis will talk with the Russian/Spanish Soldiers present (With PR), and coordinate a counter attack against the Rebels with the use of the Vengadors and their good selves. One shall be monitored, the rest just basted off with out a care in the world.

Expenditure
7000 (800*5 Vengadors, 2000 Thrusters, 1000 two stage)

The plan isn't perfect, but you manage to convince them. The first rocket is carefully aimed at the Rebel position, and does quite a lot of damage. All the other rockets are launched whitout problems at the rebels other fortresses, in attempt to cut off reinforcemens.
 At the same time the Generallisimo was sending his forces to free your position, so the rebels are completly suprised. The generals troops manage to take lots of ground that day, and it seems the civil war is nearing it's end.

[50][15]

DWARF Yearly report.
Research:
Space Shuttle:  Decrease the weight more. Work here progresses fast. However the complexity of the design is starting to give problems (2000 next time)

Booster Rocket:  Increase the chance of reuse. Work progresses. A bit

[Fuel Scientist] Large Fuel Tank:  A tank with a larger per-section size that stores proportionally more fuel. The scientist comes up with a truly monstrously large 5-m high tank. Work on it progresses extremely rapidly. He recons that increasing it's a capacity to 1500 is possible.

Anti-Missile defense system:  A system designed to track and shoot down incoming missiles and rockets.  Can't be too careful in these times... Work here progresses fast.

Designs:

[Personal Design][0.96]
Supporter Booster Rocket
Height: 5m
Weight:  725 kg
Available Payload: 1275 kg
Thrust: 2000 kg to LEO
Price: 550
Failure chance: 30%

Components:

Booster Rocket hull (5m): 5*25 = 125 kg
Small thruster (1 meter): 100kg,  2000 kg To LEO
Solid fuel tanks (4 meter): 500 kg

Building:

Nothing today.

Other:

Contact the government to see if they're interested in buying the Spear Mk II, Sword Mk I, and Lance Mk I. The governement isn't very interested, but the Recently founded National Aeronautical Museum wants to buy them, provided they're not too expensive.

Spend 5k on an expo day.
Expo's are fun. After the expo  you the applications of not one but 2 scientists( Crit roll). A thruster scientist and a scientist that hasn't decided what he wants to do yet.

Spend 4k on recruiting good (at least 7/10) Scotonauts.
You find 2 exceptional Scotonauts.

The Spear Mk I and Squat Mk I designs are obsolete and rockets are gone, so they can be dropped to save space/time.

Expenses:  13 550k (4k research + 5k expo + 4k recruitment+550 prototype)

Kingfisher: ASC monthly report

Research:
Plasma research. Work here doesn't progress. At all.
Decrease the size of detection possible by the sensors. Work here progresses fast.
Manufacture: Some Creepers. 2 more creepers are build.

Random events: One of the Austrian newspapers writes a very positive article about you. +1 prestige

Expenses:2000+ 945

[/quote]

C.a.s.p.

Player name: Anderson Spaceman
C.A.S.P
Canada

Research: German scientist will develop a way for us to use satellites for imaging and intel. Work begins on the spy sat.
I shall improve our current engines' power. You reached the maximum power input already. Work instead focusses on decreasing the engines weight..

Designs: None new.

Other:
Look around Canada for a researcher that would like to join us. Sadly noone likes to sign-up.
Build 3 contact blasters Rockets are build, but they are as yet of unamred.
Build a new floor in the research lab. Done

Cost: 3000+5000+ 1125

Promises:( All due by the end of the stated year)
Toaster:
Kashyk:
Ruler of nothing: Mercury/Venus flyby by 1965
Nirur Torin: Space station by 1965

Players:
Player name: Xin Su
Archetype: Lobbyist Political Commissar
Traits: Taikonaut trainer
Funds: 19775 (+15250)
Prestige:26
Organisation Name: Chinese Assembly for Space Exploration (CHASE)
      -Motto: Ensuring China's dominance of the Solar System.
      -Nation: People's Republic of China

Spoiler: Researched Components (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Assets (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Rockets (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sattelites (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Special People (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Taikonauts (click to show/hide)

Player Name:  Urist McLowe
Archetype: Engineer
Traits: Charismatic: Bonus to attracting/recuiting special people
Funds:19450 (+16000)
Prestige:26
Organisation Name: DeWard Aeronautical Research Foundation [DWARF]
      Motto: Strike the moon!
      Nation: Scotland

- Scotonaut training facility (0/10 people)
              -Security station
             - Space expo: Can hold theme days(5000) which have a chance to attract scientists.
Spoiler: Special people (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Scotonauts (click to show/hide)

Player name: Friedrich von Hohenzollern
Archetype: Astronaut
Trait: Scientific
Funds: 450(+3500)
Prestige: 5
Organisation Name: W.A.T. (West-German Aeronautical Technologies)
      -Motto: Inveniam viam aut faciam ( either i'll find a way, or I'll make one)
      -Nation: Western Germany

Spoiler:  Designs (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Assets and personnel (click to show/hide)

Player name: Alexis Solsona
Traits: PR
Funds: 11225 (7500)
Prestige: 13
Organisation Name: Science, Technology And Research in Space (STARS)
      -Motto:  Vamos a infinito y más allá!
      -Nation: Spain

Spoiler: -Designs (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: -Assets (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: -Personnel (click to show/hide)

[/quote]
Player Name: Dr James Smith
Archetype: Scientist
Traits: Manager
Funds: 7375(13000+1300=13300)
Prestige:24
Organisation Name: American Space Technology and Research Organisation (ASTRO)
Motto: Exploring space for the greater good of mankind.
Nation: USA

Spoiler: Special People (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: astronauts (click to show/hide)
[/quote]

Player name: Franz Herdinand
Skills: Scientsist
Funds: 5205(4500)
Prestige: 7
Organisation Name: ASC Austrian Space Center
      -Motto: 'Screw the rest'
      -Nation: Austria
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
-Designs

-The Creeper 1[0.88]
-Price: 525
-Fail chance: 1%
5 small fuel:  857.5 l
1 small thruster: 100kg 1826 thrust
1 m payload( Max 514 kg)
Hull: 7*50= 350

Diamond 1[0.72]
Weight:100+100+2*(171.5)+250
Thrust: ENough
Price: 625
Faulure chance: 3%

3 Fuel tank.
1 Small Thruster
1 Sensor Suite
5m hull.

-ROcket
  -1 diamond
  -2 timed blasters
-2 creepers
-Assets
             -Small 2 Stories labs(+5)
             -Small launchpad
             -Small Mission Control
             -Efficient manufacturing and design factory( Rockets are 10% cheaper, 10 meter rocket a year)   
-Special people
       -Special thingy:
             Efficient Manufacturing Facility

[/spoiler]
       -Designs
            Timed Blaster T-12 V.I:
Weight: 863
Thrust: 1731
Max payload: 868
Price: 375
       -Assets
             - Small labs
             -Small launchpad
             -Small Mission Control
              -Small manufacturing and design factory
       -Rockets:
               2 contact blasters     
-Special people
             -None yet
       -Special thingy:
             A German Scientist(+25 research)[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 10:26:47 am by 10ebbor10 »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Space Race: Forum game
« Reply #531 on: March 24, 2012, 08:11:55 am »

((Toaster: I think I'll need to take you up on your offer of a joint Chinese and Scottish space station. I'll trade what I have now of Space Stations: Theoretical for your shuttle hull blueprints. I'm not sure I'll be able to research a space lab before it's time to launch, and if you can research a way for the crew to stay up there for half a year or so, I'll send you my data on sleeping quarters and space health studies.

To any interested agencies: I intend to make the station available as a staging area for expeditions further into space after I have some sort of security measures installed. I'll probably sell storage modules and maintain them for a reasonable fee, unless anybody has any better suggestions.))

Research:
Lab 1st floor: Improve the success chance of space suits.
Lab 2nd floor (Yi shing): Space Stations: Theoretical. ($2000)
Lab 3rd floor (Shaiming Hu): Life support: Theoretical.

Design & Production
None.

Construction
Add a fourth floor to my laboratory ($20,000)

Missions:
None.

Taikonaut Recruitment:
None.

Other:
Name the general scientist Shaiming Hu.
Aerospace department investment (year 1 of 5) ($1000)
Trade with DWARF: Space Stations: Theoretical, Space Health Studies, and Sleeping Quarters for his shuttle hull blueprints.

Total expenses: $25,000
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 11:56:30 am by Nirur Torir »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: The Space Race: Forum game(8/8 Players) Full. Turn 15: 1960-1961
« Reply #532 on: March 24, 2012, 08:46:10 am »

Amazing so far!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: March 24, 2012, 09:38:27 am »

Nirur, If you wish to make use of my thrusters (or Alexis' design expertise) then something can be arranged :)

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: March 24, 2012, 09:40:03 am »

10ebbor10, a few questions before I put my turn up:
  • Do I need to add hull length for the capsule (or can I launch it using my Redstone II?)?
  • What is the thrust cost of going faster for interplanetary voyages?
  • How does researching electronics hardening work? (I note that you said that I could develop solar flare-proof hulls, are there any other ways of applying my solar flare research?
  • Do I need to extend the lander hull to accomodate my capsule? (I would assume not, but I want to be sure)
Also, there are two problems with the latest turn post: my income should be 13000+1300=14300 and there seems to be a problem with the closing tag of the "Astronauts" spoiler in my turn report.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: March 24, 2012, 09:45:02 am »

10ebbor10, a few questions before I put my turn up:
  • Do I need to add hull length for the capsule (or can I launch it using my Redstone II?)?
  • What is the thrust cost of going faster for interplanetary voyages?
  • How does researching electronics hardening work? (I note that you said that I could develop solar flare-proof hulls, are there any other ways of applying my solar flare research?
  • Do I need to extend the lander hull to accomodate my capsule? (I would assume not, but I want to be sure)
Also, there are two problems with the latest turn post: my income should be 13000+1300=14300 and there seems to be a problem with the closing tag of the "Astronauts" spoiler in my turn report.
1. Yes you do.
2. 75% travel time = 150% thrust
    50% travel time= 200%
3. You can either make your hullsolar flare proof or make the sattelite/ whatever you want to do solar flare proof or you can research a shield.( Basically just an extra layer of armor ) that you can take along with you
4.Unfortunately you do. However, you can design a barebone landing module( One that doesn't have a heathshield and therefore weight less but can't land on earth)

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: March 24, 2012, 10:23:22 am »

Alright. Here is my turn:

Research:
Dr Smith will develop solid fuel(free)
Lab 1 will increase the lifetime of the SEA satellite (-$1000)
Lab 2 will improve the reliability of the AC thruster (-$2000)
Lab 3 will improve the efficiency of the AC thruster (-$2000)
Research cost: $5000

Design:
None this year.

Construction:
Improve the labs further (+10 bonus) for $10000
Construction cost: $10000

Production:
2 Redstone II rockets (-$1550)
2 SEA satellites (-$2000)
Production cost:$3550

Launch:
Launch 1: Launch the SEA satellite towards Venus using the SEA satellite (It should only take about 6 months, which should give plenty of time). Have the satellite orbit Venus and study its atmosphere (Will this count towards my promise?)
Launch 2: Launch the SEA satellite into a lunar orbit and have it take more pictures of the lunar surface.

Astronauts
Get 1-2 astronauts with $1000

Other
Send CASP the plans for the computer feedback system.

Total cost: $19550
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 04:12:54 am by RulerOfNothing »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: March 24, 2012, 10:24:59 am »

You told them you'd do a flyby, but  I guess staying in orbit around it is good too. Considering that orbits are harder to do then fly by's

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: March 24, 2012, 10:31:32 am »

Just to make sure, I can do orbit missions with SEA+Redstone II? My calculations say that I can put 517kg into orbit around another planet, but that's assuming that that costs 210% normal thrust.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: March 24, 2012, 10:33:52 am »

Just to make sure, I can do orbit missions with SEA+Redstone II? My calculations say that I can put 517kg into orbit around another planet, but that's assuming that that costs 210% normal thrust.
Jup, seems right.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 67