Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 67

Author Topic: The Space Race: Forum game(6/8 Players) Turn 24: 1969-1970  (Read 119483 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: The Space Race: Forum game(6/6-8 Players) 2 SPots open. Turn 5: 1950-1951
« Reply #195 on: February 22, 2012, 04:56:54 am »

Also, Toaster, I added your car engine patent thingy to your assets list as an upgradeable building.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Space Race: CHASE
« Reply #196 on: February 22, 2012, 06:07:34 am »

((I didn't get design xp for my rocket launch.
My rockets' payloads weren't updated when I received better fuel in the trade.))

Xin Su and most of the staff were quite jubilant at the success of the satellite launch. It was only a prototype, yes, but CHASE was now very nearly seen as the world's foremost space program. They would cement this image by using solar cells to create the first long-lasting satellite. Some of the scientists wished to find more ways to make money off of the solar cells; Xin Su granted the request.

Research:
Lab 1st floor: Create a solar powered radio satellite (May be as large and as heavy as the Exploitation allows)
Lab 2nd floor: Exploitation of solar cells in civilian markets

Design & Production
Build an Exploitation class light cargo rocket: -$750

Construction
Upgrade Factory to 20m/year: -$5000

Missions:
None

Other:
Press Conference: -$1000
New goal: The first practical, long-term radio satellite in the world will be launched by CHASE within three years.

Total expenses: -$8750
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 07:11:54 am by Nirur Torir »

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 22, 2012, 06:20:51 am »

OOC: seems like my little Business venture is cositng Kashyyk money...hmm when i finished my second lab i might be willing to trade the thermobaric payload prints against your satellite...:D

"The payment of the Basques just came in sir..."

Friedrich merely nodded and grinned to himself...this money was much needed and if the Basques got their independence he even did a good thing after all...

Research:
Research a two-stage hull

Design & Production
Continue Production on Regained II with thermobaric payloads

Construction
Build a Lab Extension

Other:
Continue our trade connections with the Basques
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 09:21:10 am by Ghazkull »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: The Space Race: CHASE
« Reply #198 on: February 22, 2012, 06:44:57 am »

((I didn't get design xp for my rocket launch.
My rockets' payloads weren't updated when I received better fuel in the trade.))
It almost exploded. Design xp is rewarded based on how good your lauch was.
Fixing rocket payload now.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 22, 2012, 06:57:16 am »

A few questions before I put my turn up:
  • Ghazkull's program report doesn't seem to mention any work on life support
  • Does the 2 after my satellite mean that it now costs double?
  • I believe I can write a program to quickly calculate the maximum possible payload on a multistage rocket. Do you want me to do this for you 10ebbor10?
  • While I would assume that a mission to the moon would require the same amount of thrust near earth as an escape orbit, are there any additional fuel requirements for entering lunar orbit or landing on the moon?
  • If I put a scientific satellite in orbit, can I get any bonuses to my development of space technology?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 22, 2012, 07:05:02 am »

A few questions before I put my turn up:
  • Ghazkull's program report doesn't seem to mention any work on life support
Oh buggerit, fix in progress.
  • Does the 2 after my satellite mean that it now costs double?
Your cost for sattelite is now 2000 as stated in the post. And while it is related to the 2 there, the cost isn't equal to number times 1000
  • I believe I can write a program to quickly calculate the maximum possible payload on a multistage rocket. Do you want me to do this for you 10ebbor10?
It's just a simple function. Geogebra can calculate them just fine. (Just a lot of scrolling)
  • While I would assume that a mission to the moon would require the same amount of thrust near earth as an escape orbit, are there any additional fuel requirements for entering lunar orbit or landing on the moon?
Landing and getting in and out of lunar orbit will cost extra fuel. Not telling you how much though.
  • If I put a scientific satellite in orbit, can I get any bonuses to my development of space technology?
Um, Yep. Giant telescopes count too.
[/list]

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 22, 2012, 07:41:06 am »

Good to know. I think I might write the program I was talking about anyway, at least for my benefit w.r.t. rocket design. Also, I believe it is possible to launch a rocket in the same turn it is built - is this correct? My turn is as follows:

Dr Smith was somewhat annoyed by the progress the Chinese space program was making. While this development was somewhat troubling, he knew that ASTRO stood to lose more face if they failed to fufill their promise to put a satellite in orbit in the next two years, so he felt that it was neccessary to make a launch attempt this year. This was not without a silver lining, as CHASE had demonstrated that it was possible to put an object in a stable orbit around Earth. Dr Smith had been thinking about putting a very sophisticated set of scientific instruments into space for a while, and he now moved to make what he had been thinking about a reality.

Research:
Dr Smith will research the S.E.A. (Space Environment Analysis) Satellite, a satellite capable of analysing the environment of space and transmitting its readings to Earth and more importantly ASTRO.
Lab 1 will improve the reliability of the small thruster further.
Lab 2 will improve the stored energy of the fuel ASTRO uses.
Research Cost: $2000

Design
None this year, but I believe my current technology allows me to design a 2-stage rocket that can put a 1286kg payload into a stable Low Earth Orbit.

Production
1 Explorer satellite
Production Cost: $500

Launch
We are finished with test flights for now, so mount the Explorer satellite onto the Redstone I rocket and launch the rocket (This mission will be dubbed Explorer 1)

Other
Suggest to the relevant federal agency (I think it's the FBI) that they investigate the recent troubles in Spain, especially the troubling rumours that they (the rebels) have access to some sort of advanced rocket technology

Total cost: $2500
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 07:20:07 pm by RulerOfNothing »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 22, 2012, 08:02:38 am »

You can produce and launch a rocket in the same year.
Researches however are considered finished at the end of the year, so excisting things do not benefit from breakthroughs that year.
Lab 2 is going to do the same thing Toaster did, correct?

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 22, 2012, 08:05:06 am »

Yeah, I guess I what I meant was the same as Toaster's fuel research. By the way, will it be possible to try to develop a highly powerful and volatile fuel (seriously, you should look at some of the substances they were considering for fuels IRL), and how would nuclear propulsion work in this game?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 22, 2012, 08:11:06 am »

Yeah, I guess I what I meant was the same as Toaster's fuel research. By the way, will it be possible to try to develop a highly powerful and volatile fuel (seriously, you should look at some of the substances they were considering for fuels IRL), and how would nuclear propulsion work in this game?
You can do that. The current solid fuel is a bit like that.
Nuclear Propulsion depends on what you mean with it. There have been multiple design ranging from the Orion drive to ( others, forgot the name). Stats depend on specifics. You probably won't get permission to use them anywhere near Earth.

Backstory Note:
While there's is an agreement not to fight in space, it isn't a real treaty as it is in our universe. So you have permission to bring (nuclear) weapons in orbit. Expect Prestige losses though.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 22, 2012, 08:27:04 am »

When you say "not anywhere near Earth" would that be up to MEO or GEO or outside of Earth's sphere of influence entirely?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 22, 2012, 08:38:59 am »

When you say "not anywhere near Earth" would that be up to MEO or GEO or outside of Earth's sphere of influence entirely?
Outside Earths magnetosphere. Detonating a nuke inside the magnetosphere would be kinda dangerous.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 22, 2012, 09:00:20 am »

uhm what should i make of that Research tab from the turn update? Research goes forward...or what did happen?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 22, 2012, 09:10:21 am »

uhm what should i make of that Research tab from the turn update? Research goes forward...or what did happen?
Research went forward. A part of my sentence seem to have been omitted.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 22, 2012, 09:30:48 am »

Research
Research lighter hulls.
Design
None
Missions
None
Other
Build another Research Lab and PM action.
Expenses
5k in building.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 12:38:32 am by kingfisher1112 »
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 67