Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 67

Author Topic: The Space Race: Forum game(6/8 Players) Turn 24: 1969-1970  (Read 119348 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: The Space Race: Forum game(4/6-8 Players) 4 SPots open.Game started
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2012, 02:29:31 pm »

Urist McLowe, a short bearded man, stepped out of his office with the new design plans in his hand.  This was a big moment for him- everyone wanted to know if he would live up to the name of DeWard, and he wanted to be damn sure that his design plans would be a success.

There would be much to do, but he needed to meet with his engineering team.  Urist was a talented designer, but not so vain as to not get his work double checked.

He already had a name for it- it was their little joke, considering its small size.

Even if his first rocket didn't fly, he had another way to get his name in the papers...

Research:
Stable Small Thrusters.  Focus on reducing the risk of explosion (while neither decreasing efficiency nor increasing weight.)

Designs:

[Personal Design]
The Squat Mk I
Height: 5m
Weight: 975 kg
Available Payload: 25 kg
Thrust: 1000 kg to Leo

Components:
Single stage hull (5 meter): 75*5-> 375kg
Small thruster (1 meter): 100kg, 1000kg To LEO
Small fuel tanks x4 (4 meter): 500kg

Building:
Expand the labs to allow an additional research action per year.

Other:
Publish a news article declaring the intent to put a dog into LEO within six years.

Total expenses:
6000 (1k research + 5k building - let me know if this is wrong)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 03:30:39 pm by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2012, 02:33:54 pm »

Toaster took my action. Now I'll look uncreative and everything.

Could you elaborate on scientists/engineers doing jobs themselves, and on lobbyist actions?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2012, 02:36:27 pm »

It just goes to show that it's the optimal first turn action.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2012, 02:56:20 pm »

Uhh, my head. That party was rough. Guess that's what you get for having an opening party on new years eve. Wait, New Years? Is it '46 already? What's the time? Shit! I need to get to work! Right! First off, Clothes? Check. Breakfast? Check. Ok, grab the keys, out of the door, don't forget to lock it. Now, Car. How's this go again? Neutral, Ignition, Clutch, Accelerator, First Gear, release Clutch, and we're off.

Phew. We're here. Park, and go find Dr Faust. There he is. Right, these thrusters are rubbish. We need better ones. Yes, better, less boom more up. Got it? Awesome. I think he understood what I wanted. Now, I can't let the Generalissimo down. So, I need to design something. Shouldn't be too hard, it's only rocket science..

Research:
Small Stable Thrusters, led by Dr Faust, a research mandate suspiciously similar to that of DWARF's.

Designs:
El Abejorro, Designed by Alexis Solsona.
Height: 6m
Weight: 1175kg
Thrust: 1250kg to LEO
Payload: 75kg
 - Single Stage Hull (6m) = 540kg
 - Small Thruster (1m) = 100kg
 - Small Fuel Tanks (5m) = 625kg

Building:
Improved Labs, giving a general bonus to research

Total expenses:
6000 monetary units (5k building + 1K research)

fix'd tanks
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 05:17:56 pm by Kashyyk »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2012, 03:30:54 pm »

@ Kashyk, there's an error in your post. Your fuel tank is 5 meters high, not 4.

When archetypes( ak players) are doing something themselves, they don't need to pay for their action. Funds will be subtracted for the rocket they build though, there just won't be any development costs.

Your archettype allows you to arrange press conferences, which increase your prestige. It will cost you 1000 per prestige point raised, and there's a change that it won't work.
It will also give you a bonus when making statements, like saying that you will put a dog in space within 5 years( other players can do this too). This will give extra prestige, but will crash your prestige if you fail.

You other ability can be activated once a turn for free, but needs to be coupled to a mission( rocket launch). It will either increase the prestige gain( if the mission is a succes) or decrease the prestige loss(failure). You can use it on other people too.( Both increasing and lowering)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2012, 03:32:13 pm »

And I did just that!  Except six years.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2012, 03:35:02 pm »

And I did just that!  Except six years.
You do know that the rocket payload does not include the capsule to keep the payload in.( Needs to be researched seperatly, though it's not a part of the rocket design).
Fun fact though: Since you 're upgrading your thrusters, not changing them, your rockets will be autoupgraded. Also, the reliability of your rocket design will be increased the more you launch it( Even in case of noncomplete failures).

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2012, 03:40:10 pm »

I am aware.  That's why I added an extra year- the research/design of a "command module" that can hold something living up to LEO *and* bring them back down.  (I figure getting a dog to LEO then crashing that rocket won't be good for my company image.)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2012, 03:42:31 pm »

I am aware.  That's why I added an extra year- the research/design of a "command module" that can hold something living up to LEO *and* bring them back down.  (I figure getting a dog to LEO then crashing that rocket won't be good for my company image.)
At least you gave the poor beast a worthy burial cremation.

You can do what the russian did. Use twins: 1 dog dies in space, you show second dog to public.

Also, your squad MK1 cannot lift the dog safely into space. The best protection you could give it for 25 kg is an aluminum foil wrapping. A dog lifesupport system would weight somewhere around 200 kg. Probably more.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 03:49:31 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2012, 04:34:41 pm »

"Weeks of negotiation, and these are all the facilities Supreme President Zedong has granted me? ... Better than I expected. You there!" Xin Su addressed the nearest scientific lackey. "Report."

"Welcome, sir, and congratulations on your assignment. All facilities are fully staffed and operational, although the local power grid is inadequate for our purposes. They're working on --"

"Great. How about the German plans?"

"We built a scale model for test purposes. It exploded."

"I fail to see the problem. Just send our findings to the military."

"Before it could be launched."

"I changed my mind. Figure out a way to make it less explosive. I'm going to convince people that The Great One should grant us more funding."

Research:
Small Thrusters, Stabilized. Nearly identical to the research of our rivals, yet entirely original.

Design -$2000
'Flare' class test rocket
Height: 5m
Weight: 975 kg
Thrust: 1000 kg to Leo
Available Payload: 25 kg

Components:
Single stage hull (5 meter): 75*5-> 375kg
Small thruster (1 meter): 100kg, 1000kg To LEO
Small fuel tanks x4 (4 meter): 500kg

Construction
Build another Small Laboratory.

Other:
$1000 press conference.
State my intention of getting a Chinese rocket into LEO by the end of the decade (4 turns).

Total expenses: -$9000
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 04:12:46 pm by Nirur Torir »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2012, 04:41:17 pm »

At least you gave the poor beast a worthy burial cremation.

You can do what the russian did. Use twins: 1 dog dies in space, you show second dog to public.

Also, your squad MK1 cannot lift the dog safely into space. The best protection you could give it for 25 kg is an aluminum foil wrapping. A dog lifesupport system would weight somewhere around 200 kg. Probably more.

Oh, those Russians.

That's no problem- it's a proof of concept.  The command module will be housed on a larger model.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2012, 04:44:09 pm »

@ Nirur: If you're researching a part upgrade, you're rockets will be autoupgraded. It's only when you're creating an entirely new part that you need to redesign your rocket.

@ Toaster: I hope so. Sending chihuahas into space isn't very special.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2012, 04:47:31 pm »

If I research less explosive thrusters and get a prototype from my design on the same turn, the less explosive thrusters will be available to launch the prototype next turn, correct?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2012, 04:49:01 pm »

If I research less explosive thrusters and get a prototype from my design on the same turn, the less explosive thrusters will be available to launch the prototype next turn, correct?
Yes, it's not like they're completly redesinging the engine. Btw, you're less explosive thruster will probably still be quite explosive, even on a succesful research roll.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2012, 04:52:35 pm »

40% is better than 50%!

Look at what my company is based on: do you think a mere 40% chance of explosive doom is going to stop me?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 67