Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 67

Author Topic: The Space Race: Forum game(6/8 Players) Turn 24: 1969-1970  (Read 119310 times)

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
Re: The Space Race: Forum game(0/6-8 Players)
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 03:26:01 pm »

hrmm, then i take something else as bonus something that helps more in the long run XD

Special Bonus: Former Secret Weapons Scientist ( one of those guys who developed those silly UFO-Thingies)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 03:31:36 pm »

hrmm, then i take something else as bonus something that helps more in the long run XD

Special Bonus: Former Secret Weapons Scientist ( one of those guys who developed those silly UFO-Thingies)
Scientists don't last forever either. Also, remember, the game starts in 1946, so there won't be much warfare within the first turns. In fact, there might be no warfare at all till mid- late game. Depends on the random event rolls.

FOr your special weapons scientist: +40 to everything that is designed as a weapon.( SO while you can use a rocket engine as a weapon, it is not)

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 03:41:42 pm »

i know but im not hoping for a war...not a hot war...we are at the end of 1946 right? Im relying that the Cold War...:D

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 04:00:34 pm »

i know but im not hoping for a war...not a hot war...we are at the end of 1946 right? Im relying that the Cold War...:D
The history of this earth isn't 100% identical to ours. For example: The nazis managed to destroy most of their research, and what was saved was shared between countries. So there won't be an American-Sovjet space race. You'll probably get something worse though, with at least 6 nations trying to conquer space.

SPeaking of Americans and SOvjets, nobody took them yet. Strange.
They're kinda important.(Though everyone has an equal start)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2012, 04:50:22 pm »

I propose a change to the random event system.

One global event roll/turn:
1-20: Relations worsen between two countries
21-40: Relation improve between two countries
41-50: Random nation's economy get better
51-60: Random nation's economy get worse
61-65: Global economic recession
66-70: Global economic boom
71-90: Solar storms: Everyone not inside a magnetosphere is dead
91-100: No event this turn.

25% chance/player/turn of a random event:
1-20: New scientist
21-40: Lose scientist
41-50: Minor prestige gain
51-60: Minor prestige loss
61-75: Bonus funds
76-90: Lose funds
90-100: One item researched this turn is improved.

This gives us an average rate of one new scientist per 16 years, with an average stay of 20 years. You might want to make the new leader event force someone to leave instead if that player already has too many, and for the lose leader event to grant one if none exist. (With the stated event system, there's a 50% chance of each player having gained a scientist after 50 years)
Improved research might make the component 10% better than it otherwise would be, which would be minor yet useful.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2012, 04:57:22 pm »

As long as there's some way to research shielding (or prediction) to counter those solar storms.  20% chance that your launch fails to unblockable solar death doesn't sound fun to me.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, 05:02:25 pm »

As long as there's some way to research shielding (or prediction) to counter those solar storms.  20% chance that your launch fails to unblockable solar death doesn't sound fun to me.
Shielding can be researched, and solar storms actually occur next year, not in the same year the turns is rolled. Also, the earth's magnetosphere protects any Earth orbit mission.( So no problems with anything close)

As for the random event system, seems good to me. The only thing I don't really is the upgrade thingy(10% is a huge improvement if you use it multiple times in the same craft), but I'll just replace it with a research bonus to a certain part(Which is essentially the same thing, as you can research to improve a component)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2012, 07:59:12 pm »

Well, you can always tweak it.  No one will complain if you screw with the global event rolls.  (I'd even go so far as to say that a 10% chance for nothing to happen is too low.  This isn't RTD, where wacky and zany is the norm.)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2012, 12:49:47 am »

Well, you can always tweak it.  No one will complain if you screw with the global event rolls.  (I'd even go so far as to say that a 10% chance for nothing to happen is too low.  This isn't RTD, where wacky and zany is the norm.)
Yup, but I'll let it be for now

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2012, 11:42:53 am »

Also, the solar storms will be pretty useless untill you start doing moon missions. SO they won't have an effect in the early - mid game.

Oh, one thing. I recalculated the possible rocket designs, and have decided to change the single stage hulls weight from 100 to 75.(Otherwise none of your rockets would have taken off).

So some example designs(In the beginning, there's that much choise):

Small Single stage rocket:
Height:5,Weight:975,Thrust:1000kg to Leo
Components
Singlestage hull: 75*5:375kg
Small Thruster(1 meter): 100kg 1000kg To LEO
Small fuel tanks(4 meter):500kg
This one would have a payload of 25 kg

Large Single stage rocket:
Height:9,Weight:1775,Thrust:2000kg to Leo
Components
Singlestage hull: 75*9:675kg
Small Thruster(1 meter): 100kg 2000kg To LEO
Small fuel tanks(8 meter):1000kg
This one would have a max payload of 225kg

Also, everyone who has his sheet up by now is in, but the game isn't starting yet.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: The Space Race: Forum game(4/6-8 Players)
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2012, 12:05:21 pm »

How exactly do thrusters work? 

"Small Thruster(1 meter): 100kg 1000kg To LEO"

It puts out 100kg of thrust, and needs 1000kg to hit LEO?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2012, 12:07:47 pm »

It weights 100 kg and has enough power to carry 1000 kg to Leo.( It has to carry the entire rocket though)
Thrusts is based on the amount of fuel it can burn( This small thruster burns 1 unit of fuel for 2 units of thrust)

The math probably doesn't make sense, but that's not a problem.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2012, 12:18:47 pm »

Chinese, Germans, Scots and Spaniards but still no Americans or Soviets?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2012, 12:34:51 pm »

Chinese, Germans, Scots and Spaniards but still no Americans or Soviets?
Strange isn't it.

You can take one of them if you want.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2012, 02:41:47 pm »

Anyone?

Also, it seems I forgot some info on buildings. The price for any of the buildings you currently have is 5000, and they all have a building time of 1 year.
Others differ though.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 67