Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42

Author Topic: Politibastard - Game Over! Conservative Win the Battle! (Lose the War) Toen win!  (Read 101522 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Game setup:

Believe it or not, there were NOT real people attached to any of these roles! In fact, I did not actually create any roles at all, before the game started!

Rather, I created a list of abilities, and distributed them randomly among each player, with [secret liberal] and [cult of personality] being abilities, the second of which took up two slots.

After the abilities were distributed, I tried to come up with a conservative archetype that fit that particular pair of abilities, (no real person in mind) and assigned the social issue combination that seemed to most match that role name.

The days were as follows:
Straw Poll - Multiple elimination
Debate
Primary
Caucus (Town won on this day, by not choosing a conservative VP) - Roleflips of eliminated players, VPs
National Convention - Multiple Elimination, last day for town to win.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile

Why am I always third party?  ahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Wait Tiruin was liberal?  Yay

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie does not want you being confoosed.
    • View Profile

Woohoo! I SUPERWIN! I want to thank the Academy, and my trusty running mate, McNoble, and my Formidable Opponent, Toaster, and the Republican National Convention President, GlyphGryph, and Jesus Christ, and His mother Mary, and my wife, and my three children, John, Paul, and Joseph, and my parents, and my mistress, and my aide, and my third-cousin Rose, for favours granted, and my constituency for never looking too close at my books or practices, and...

WHAT?! Comminazi Islamoatheist Ofuckma is still President?! What the fuck?! I demand we declare Florida's decrepit jews' votes ineligible and go straight to the Supreme Court to decide this battle! Damn luhberals can't be trusted to defend this Glorious Nation!

The FIGHT goes on, my friends! To the end!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 11:59:58 pm by Bookthras »
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

That was fun- a very different game.  The structured phases were very well designed, and created an interesting flow of gameplay.  Mii, sorry we didn't pull it through, but we were on the right path- Book just got those all-important endorsements.

Well done Book, and good luck in 4 years!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile

Toen win indeed.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

Also, I'm glad to be a part of both the first and second Toen Wins.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Game setup:

Believe it or not, there were NOT real people attached to any of these roles! In fact, I did not actually create any roles at all, before the game started!

Told you guys.  :P

And, yay. I got the Cult LEADER!

Still, had trouble with those issues. I really thought they had a hidden bonus effect to powers of the nominees. The Third day issue really got me.

Also, I wonder why McNoble dropped his aggression in the second day there and deliberately asked on the Godfather role. But I'm proud of how everything went.

And, BAH.

Fun, though.

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Toen win! Toen VITRY!! Wonderful feeling, that is. Congratulations fellow townies. A couple of additional thoughts:

a) GlyphGryph: That was MASTERFUL flavour! All of it! The roles, the stages, the day ends, the whole shebang. It was a wonderful read. Thank you! We need more games where flavour is this good. Flavour makes the difference between a good game and a memorable game.

b) "There were NOT real people attached to any of these roles!" <-- Bullshit. Yeah, OK, I read them, and I can see a certain randomness to them, but still: Tiruin, a secret liberal posing as a Conservative Paragon with an uncoordinated SuperPAC must be Stephen Colbert. A cultist moderate with a personality fix and in love of mirrors must be Mitt Romney. An ultra-Religious True Believer with a populist economic stance must be Santorum. And McNoble's role? There is no fucking way that is not Ron Paul. Come on. Own up. Sure, the RNG dealt the cards, but you had to put some interpretation on them! It can't be just pure pareidolia!

c) The town played masterfully. Lynched a cultist D1, scum D2, scum again D3. Couple of mislynches D1 due to lurking and noobness, but still, we shot true, and were focused and clearheaded. Good game, Toen!

More as I think of it. But yeah, this was a FUN game! We want lots more games like this! Weird, quick(ish), experimental, flavourful. This game is made of win and for the hall of fame. Thanks, GG!
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

I still wonder, the scum only had a every-night NK, a revive and a Godfather (which I so badly played). Town survived in day 1 and 2 with good use of their powers. How would scum survive the day 3 issues? Or was it the early claim that faulted it?

Any advice for later on games? My first ever full scum game. I'm really bad at lying, don't you all think?

I have a feeling that everytime I lay down a post as scum, I'm all the more closer to the gallows.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm really glad you enjoyed it, guys!

No, really! I had certain achetypes in mind, but no particular person. The only exception, potentially, was Ron Paul, just because he's pretty one of a kind.

The Liberal Roles were not inspired by anyone at all - well, beyond LCS. I modelled them after a long time Deep Sleeper, and a more active member who just joined to help stir up trouble.

The fact that they matched real people so well? Well, reality is stranger than fiction. :P

The other boosts to the scum were
a) No roleflips
b) A chance to come back as VP
c) Not actually needing to kill all the townies to win
and, if they lasted until the national convention, getting some... special assistance from the incumbent. (They would have all gotten double votes thanks to a flush of funding)

The day 3 bit was tough for scum, the key to avoiding it was, well... don't be the guy that wins the issues! Since you could influence them in secret, unless they're already pretty much ready to lynch you it shouldn't be much of a secret, and if you haven't yet claimed all the better.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 12:15:34 am by GlyphGryph »

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, really! I had certain achetypes in mind, but no particular person. The only exception, potentially, was Ron Paul, just because he's pretty one of a kind.
I still don't buy it, but won't push it. The Colbert thing, more than any other, tickles my skepticism. Uncoordinated SuperPAC, Conservative Paragon, Secret Liberal, it's just too close to be coincidence.

But regarding Ron Paul and my mate McNoble: This was, believe it or not, his first game here ever. He did wonderfully, and hope for him many successes in future games. In light of that, I yield my SuperWinner trophy to him, and give him first dibs on the special perks allowed in GlyphGryph's next game. Unless either of them object, I'll take the runner-up, stand-in position instead. The win was as much his doing as mine, if not more.

The Liberal Roles were not inspired by anyone at all - well, beyond LCS.
LCS?

The other boosts to the scum were
a) No roleflips
b) A chance to come back as VP
c) Not actually needing to kill all the townies to win
Yeah, they had it tough, but it was a fair game. They were hampered by extraneous factors (timezones, inexperience, lucky protections, and so on), but I hope they don't feel it was unfair. I think it was at times unfortunate, but the game was fair and well played.

Tiruin:
I have a feeling that everytime I lay down a post as scum, I'm all the more closer to the gallows.
That's precisely what the challenge of playing as scum is: your constant fear that every word, or lack of a word, will betray you. It's not just you, every scum feels it, every time, don't worry. The trick is to learn to live with it, and seem town regardless.

Any advice for later on games? My first ever full scum game. I'm really bad at lying, don't you all think?
The advice for you, as for the violinist, is the answer to this question: how do you get to Carnegie Hall? A: Google it, and don't blame me if you don't get the reference, but the same answer is the key to play Mafia better, as town or scum.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

LCS?

O_O

You... Liberal Crime Squad? The Game? Toady One's game? The BEST game? You know of it, surely!

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Gaahh! I'm ashamed now to say I don't! Please link me, and I'll rectify that ipso facto!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83375.0

It's the game that brought me here, and still the one I play the most. Even better since he released the code and let Fox maintain it.

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Found it: http://www.bay12games.com/lcs/

But I have to admit: I had never heard of it. I will rectify that at once. Any context, history, or amusing anecdotes are much appreciated. To this day, my exposure to Toady's games was only Dwarf Fortress, I never played his earlier games.

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42