Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Injured dwarves leaving the hospital half healed.  (Read 1402 times)

Szkeptik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Injured dwarves leaving the hospital half healed.
« on: February 08, 2012, 07:31:40 am »

Sometimes I have people with torn open upper bodies and crushed lungs building the floortiles and such. I see blinking dwarves leaving the hospital with the wound dresser running after them with the cloth. Why does this happen and how can I make the dwarves stay or at least return?

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Injured dwarves leaving the hospital half healed.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 07:43:58 am »

That's not a bug, it's a feature. Dwarves are hardcore like that; if they can walk up out of the hospital bed, they do. The only way to get them to go back is to re-injure them.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 07:47:04 am »

Once they've had their assigned treatment they're free to leave. They usually do, unless they're *seriously* beat up.

They should be OK. Maybe less so in a fight but they'll be able to work, though possibly quite slowly.

Szkeptik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 08:15:06 am »

So I have to just write off many injured dwarves as permanently broken?

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 08:22:24 am »

Depends on the injury. Nerve damage is often permanent, and can either cripple the dwarf or just make them kinda bad at holding stuff. Leg damage can mean you need crutches - they make you slow as the dwarf learns to use them, and they take up a hand.

Some will heal eventually - I had a slow to heal dorf that took something like 2 whole years to heal from her compound leg breaks - but she did eventually. Some will be less effective. Some will be completely useless. Depends on the injury/ies.

Generally if they're up and running normally but it says they have cuts/tears etc, they simply need time to heal.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 08:25:34 am by Yaotzin »

Szkeptik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 08:48:53 am »

Thanks!

And what about torn arteries and open ribcages and similar stuff that sounds kind of extreme to be walking around with? Are those things okay as well? Just heal over time?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 09:03:46 am »

If the dwarf has injuries that the doctors can't do anything about, then he'll just have to live with them.  Or die with them.  There's nothing the doctors can do about it, so he will simply get up and try to continue his jobs.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 09:08:32 am »

It's very rare (impossible? not sure) that a dwarf dies after release. Maybe an infection could do it. Otherwise, he stays in hospital until he dies or will live. Pretty much like real life.

Something like a torn artery means he's going to bleed out fast, but if you got him to hospital and got it sutured and dressed, he should be fine.

IIRC the permanent stuff is written in yellow. The red stuff - cuts, tears etc will either kill him before treatment, or will eventually heal.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 11:46:34 am »

torn arterys are funny as thay dont heal up, but thay do stop bleeding.
like wise hair and nail dont heal.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 12:17:25 pm »

IIRC the permanent stuff is written in yellow. The red stuff - cuts, tears etc will either kill him before treatment, or will eventually heal.
On the health screen, yes. If you are just using v to look at dwarves' wounds then yellow is the "partial loss of usefulness in this area" code. This is, however, the area where nerve damage tends to fall into, so while many yellow wounds potentially can heal, it is also the color with the largest percentage of wounds that will not.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.