Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: Unpopular DF Opinions?  (Read 27334 times)

JasonMel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular DF Opinions?
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2012, 12:47:42 am »

Unlike seemingly every other player, I find high tickrates undesirable. In fact, I play almost exclusively by advancing one tick at a time. I'm probably wearing out my period key, in fact. With all the glitches and AI limitations, and trouble the dwarves can get themselves into, it's only prudent, I think. Dwarves have such a boundless capacity for stupidity that actually unpausing the game strikes me as an act of wanton irresponsibility.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2012, 12:15:43 pm »

Unlike seemingly every other player, I find high tickrates undesirable. In fact, I play almost exclusively by advancing one tick at a time. I'm probably wearing out my period key, in fact. With all the glitches and AI limitations, and trouble the dwarves can get themselves into, it's only prudent, I think. Dwarves have such a boundless capacity for stupidity that actually unpausing the game strikes me as an act of wanton irresponsibility.
You... You are not.. you are not normal.
I don't like magma. Really, I've NEVER built a pumpstack or a gigantic magma trap to kill bunnies.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2012, 12:35:48 pm »

i don't play to win. i roleplay my forts, and often die early.

i don't use uncrossable trapped corridors or trapped training rooms, i don't wall up myself, and don't use steel or full sets of armor.

i don't design efficient forts at all

i embark on ironless locations, and play with high mineral scarcity. i've moded my civs to always have access to iron, though.
i've tweaked dwarves to learn 10 times slower, but also did that for all other mortal races, so invaders have manageable skill levels.

elves and their evil counterpart i moded in (the Elgblin) learn 10 times faster instead, so they're all legendary, which kinda overcompensates for their wooden equipment

i don't use any cheap food sources, i moded out organ meat, egg laying, and plump helmet or cookable plants, instead my staple farmable food are biscuits made of flour.

i've modded agriculture to give a very low yield, and farmers never skill up: half of my population is drafted into the planter army during the planting season

other non-increasable skills include mining, but dwarves get a racial skill of adequate,

brewing and cooking is also unskillable, and because of my learning speed mod, getting a decent engraver is now 10 times harder... keeping my dwarves non miserable is now a real chore

yeah, i'm one of those people that actually still believes in fun
This sounds hardcore, any chance these RAWs might be made public?
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2012, 12:49:44 pm »

I also don't use tilesets, DFHack, Therapist, or any other third party stuff.

Same.

As for my opinions that don't mesh well with the rest of the community... that's tough.  I also don't kill elves or go out of my way to annoy them.  They bring me wood, which I need.  And sometimes distract goblins, which is nice.

Otherwise... magma is too much trouble to use to solve most of my problems.  That's heresy if I ever wrote it, but I've never even used magma for a smelter or forge.  I really need to fix that.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2012, 03:49:01 pm »

I hate the vanilla dwarves. Now the dark dwarf mod (40d) had far more epic ones. Tantrum spiral? Not for long, they inevitably seemed to lead to berserk spirals. I guess eventually I will be able to run a fortress of evil in vanilla, but currently I just hate dwarves.

And off topic but: Big thanks to whoever made the dark dwarf mod for 40d.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2012, 05:17:44 pm »

*breath in*

Humans > Dwarves (thankfully it's easy to play as them, who wants a barrel-sized, bearded hero? Who would play Demon's Souls if your character was half a meter tall, huh?)
Tall spires > Elegant fortresses and gardens > Confusing mountain halls
Two-handed swords > Long swords > Short swords >> War hammers
Steel > Iron > Bronze > Magic Candy
Flax > Peahen leather >> Stupid, unrealistic spider silk
Nerve damage is brilliant and an excellent feature, and if I had to name an example of the things that keep me playing that would be one. Needs accurate nerve, artery and muscle compartment simulation.

Adding magic in the form of night creatures and necromancy to the game was a bad idea and has severely detracted from the atmosphere. In many ways, 40d > DF2010. In fact I still play it. Why couldn't you do steam power instead of magic, huh?

Adventurers should be able to randomly trip on roots and break their neck. Hunger should still kill you. Meeting strange civilizations should give you exotic illnesses that make your kidneys rot and eyes bleed.

Expand the ascii set to include Chinese Characters, so you don't have to represent everything with the same symbol.

What the game needs is more fleshing out of the anatomy, disease, job system, farming and construction, not story arcs and magic.

On the other hand if you're going to add a story, do it properly by letting players pre-define kingdoms and heroes and their relations so we can create scenarios, procedurally generated things are just stupid 90% of the time. Seriously, if I want to generate Wind Kingdom Rolante with its princess in the mountains, let me do it so it doesn't end up The Civilization of Soapberiddled in the land of Armpitsweatomens situated in the Hills of Sociolinguistics and my heroine getting named the Obscure Dimples of Lucrativeness. It was funny the first maybe 3 times, but if you want to get really immersed it gets really, really stupid. What would make this game really good would be the ability to add pre-defined scenarios a la Battle for Wesnoth.

Somebody should create an open source clone of the game to compete with Toady, like has been done for many other closed source.

Sorry.
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2012, 06:43:12 pm »

*breath in*

Humans > Dwarves (thankfully it's easy to play as them, who wants a barrel-sized, bearded hero? Who would play Demon's Souls if your character was half a meter tall, huh?)
Nerve damage is brilliant and an excellent feature, and if I had to name an example of the things that keep me playing that would be one. Needs accurate nerve, artery and muscle compartment simulation.

Adding magic in the form of night creatures and necromancy to the game was a bad idea and has severely detracted from the atmosphere. In many ways, 40d > DF2010. In fact I still play it. Why couldn't you do steam power instead of magic, huh?

Adventurers should be able to randomly trip on roots and break their neck. Hunger should still kill you. Meeting strange civilizations should give you exotic illnesses that make your kidneys rot and eyes bleed.

Expand the ascii set to include Chinese Characters, so you don't have to represent everything with the same symbol.

What the game needs is more fleshing out of the anatomy, disease, job system, farming and construction, not story arcs and magic.

On the other hand if you're going to add a story, do it properly by letting players pre-define kingdoms and heroes and their relations so we can create scenarios, procedurally generated things are just stupid 90% of the time. Seriously, if I want to generate Wind Kingdom Rolante with its princess in the mountains, let me do it so it doesn't end up The Civilization of Soapberiddled in the land of Armpitsweatomens situated in the Hills of Sociolinguistics and my heroine getting named the Obscure Dimples of Lucrativeness. It was funny the first maybe 3 times, but if you want to get really immersed it gets really, really stupid. What would make this game really good would be the ability to add pre-defined scenarios a la Battle for Wesnoth.

Somebody should create an open source clone of the game to compete with Toady, like has been done for many other closed source.

Sorry.
Agreed on most part.

Why would I want a beardless hero? That is, in the rare instances I do not play a heroine.

Perhaps not the tripping on root stuff though. Realistic or not, such random chances of instant death are not fun.

And a limited set of characters is easy to remember. Perhaps Toady should group creatures together. Example: Elephants, horses, elk and others could use 'H' or 'M' or something to represent "a large herbivorous mammal".

If random name generation is to remain, I would prefer if it was slower and had a sophisticated algorithm to reject dumb names. Although a huge list of predefined, complete names for the game to choose from could be better. Finally, names need not necessarily have any relation to English.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2012, 07:17:37 pm »

yeah, i can agree with that

i don't play to win. i roleplay my forts, and often die early.

i don't use uncrossable trapped corridors or trapped training rooms, i don't wall up myself, and don't use steel or full sets of armor.

i don't design efficient forts at all

i embark on ironless locations, and play with high mineral scarcity. i've moded my civs to always have access to iron, though.
i've tweaked dwarves to learn 10 times slower, but also did that for all other mortal races, so invaders have manageable skill levels.

elves and their evil counterpart i moded in (the Elgblin) learn 10 times faster instead, so they're all legendary, which kinda overcompensates for their wooden equipment

i don't use any cheap food sources, i moded out organ meat, egg laying, and plump helmet or cookable plants, instead my staple farmable food are biscuits made of flour.

i've modded agriculture to give a very low yield, and farmers never skill up: half of my population is drafted into the planter army during the planting season

other non-increasable skills include mining, but dwarves get a racial skill of adequate,

brewing and cooking is also unskillable, and because of my learning speed mod, getting a decent engraver is now 10 times harder... keeping my dwarves non miserable is now a real chore

yeah, i'm one of those people that actually still believes in fun
This sounds hardcore, any chance these RAWs might be made public?

yeah, i've thought about it a couple times. i never got it polished enough to feel confortable about releasing it, though

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2012, 08:08:14 pm »

*breath in*

Sorry.
This post makes me much more enraged than it should.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2012, 09:24:21 pm »

Spinoffs are kind of a sore subject here.  One has been attempted but the person doing it did it in a very douche way.

Namely telling people to donate to him instead of Toady on Toady's own forum, pretending the project was actually just a visualizer (like ogreseer and stonesense) when it was in actuality just the graphical part of the program made to be able to import DF maps from dfhack memory(which actually also got DFHack in hot water and Peterix temporarily banned), and by reportedly reverse engineering significant parts of the DF code.

The whole mess was not pretty, though I guess that's the point of the thread.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2012, 09:58:55 pm »

Well, on that post, there are three things wrong: 1) Magic point. I can understand is as currently the way DF is, its Low Fantasy as even though there are demons and "Magical" creatures, there isn't really magic making it basically like real world but with dragons. But thats because they hadn't implemented magic yet, so complain comes off more as "They changed it so it sucks" than valid point. Of course, it would be nice if Toady would put in "Magic" choice at world gen defining how much magic the world will have for those who prefer Low Fantasy to other sorts of fantasy.

2) Is that I personally don't like telling Toady what he "should" do. Its like my art teacher telling me what I should do with my art, it stops feeling like I have my own control over it.

3) Is that this thing is basically Toady's hobby/job/life project, there is no need for him to "need" to compete with others.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 10:03:19 pm by MaskedMiner »

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2012, 11:17:21 pm »

Adventurers should be able to randomly trip on roots and break their neck.
...What.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2012, 11:22:19 pm »

...What.
Oh Gog, I'm getting Nethack flashbacks...

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2012, 11:24:18 pm »

...What.
Oh Gog, I'm getting Nethack flashbacks...

Hes probably wanting exactly that sort of hilariously dumb deaths  :P While Nethack is awesome, I don't really think this game needs that.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2012, 01:29:23 pm »

Really don't like the idea of undead infested crypts, one of the things that drew me to dwarf fortress is the novelty: a fantasy where "tomb" is a place where the dead are interred, not "apartment complex for zombies"

Also that people can die of infected eyelids and other loving details  :)
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11