Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hello Everyone, Question.  (Read 2904 times)

DirtPoacher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hello Everyone, Question.
« on: February 07, 2012, 05:50:45 pm »

I am relatively new to Dwarf Fortress but I am determined to learn to play because this game so far has been pretty amazing. I have created a small fortress, gotten my wood and stone stockpiles, made a couple of workshops and pastures. I currently have 4 dwarf's capable of mining, but the thing is usually only two of them mine and the other two just sit around. It aggrivates me to see a large job needing to be done and I only have two that get up and work. What is wrong with the other two dwarf's?
We enjoy warmth because we have been cold.
We appreciate light because we have been in darkness.
By the same token, we can experience joy because we have known sadness.
-David Weatherford

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
Re: Hello Everyone, Question.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 05:52:39 pm »

Do you have picks for those other two dwarfs?

A dwarf with the mining labor enabled clings to his pick and will not let go of it until mining is disabled again, so if you have 4 miners you will need 4 picks. They will not pass them around to form some kind of working shifts.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

DirtPoacher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 05:56:17 pm »

Thats it! Hah! I didn't even think of having picks XDD Thanks! Goodness the depth of this game is just amazing and I feel hooked. Just have to figure everything out though lol
-David Weatherford

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 05:59:38 pm »

If you have questions don't be afraid to ask.
Most people around here still remember the times when they tried to climb the learning cliff for the first time and needed a hand themselves. We're all glad to help.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 05:59:55 pm »

Also, in most cases it's not worth having a stone stockpile unless you're building something out of a specific kind of stone and you want it as close to the building site as possible. Welcome to DF, hope you enjoy your stay, have fun and Fun, and don't feed the goblins.
くコ:彡

Lumix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 06:20:28 pm »

Also, in most cases it's not worth having a stone stockpile unless you're building something out of a specific kind of stone and you want it as close to the building site as possible. Welcome to DF, hope you enjoy your stay, have fun and Fun, and don't feed the goblins.

Unless your a neat freak like myself and dont like seeing stones laying about, and are too lazy to hide said stones.

And yes, Welcome. throw questions as us, Just dont ask how to set up a successful military, THAT i cannot help with
I know it's fairly common but I killed 180+ people in his civilization before I went after him. I was kind of hoping for something a bit more substantial than a sucker punch and penis theft.

DirtPoacher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 06:27:21 pm »

Yes Feeding the goblins does sound bad. Fortunately I have not encountered anything to bad yet unless you consider large Yak's bad XD I do have one more question though, I notice that even though I have the beginnings to my Fortress the workers and animals still like to stay where the wagon is. Is there a way I can make them naturally Idle inside of the Fortress and also if I can remove the wagon?
-David Weatherford

Lumix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 06:29:33 pm »

Yes Feeding the goblins does sound bad. Fortunately I have not encountered anything to bad yet unless you consider large Yak's bad XD I do have one more question though, I notice that even though I have the beginnings to my Fortress the workers and animals still like to stay where the wagon is. Is there a way I can make them naturally Idle inside of the Fortress and also if I can remove the wagon?

designate a meeting area from a table in the dining room

Also dont smash the wagon until you have stored the important things in stockpiles, otherwise everything in the wagon will explode onto the floor.
I know it's fairly common but I killed 180+ people in his civilization before I went after him. I was kind of hoping for something a bit more substantial than a sucker punch and penis theft.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 06:32:15 pm »

Yes, you need a public dining hall or a meeting area.

First can be done by placing a table [c] -> [t] in a room (must have a ceiling), then selecting it with [q] and create room. A dining hall should be big, with many tables (each with exactly 1 chair) and a nearby food and drink stockpiles.
Meeting area can be created with (i), then draw the hall and turn it into a meeting hall with [m]. Meeting hall should have the same general things inside as a dining hall.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 07:42:56 pm by Cyroth »

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 07:11:49 pm »

Better do the meeting area from the zones (i) menu. Designate a zone then set it as meeting area. Doing it this way has an advantage that dwarves won't waste time making parties at the table.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Dr.Propz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 07:17:03 pm »

Garbage dumping can be your best friend, I suggest you use it until its fixed

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Zone#Garbage_Dump

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 08:51:32 pm »

Is it planned that garbage dumping will in fact be "fixed" so that quantum stockpiling becomes impossible?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

DirtPoacher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 09:36:17 pm »

Well, it seems that as of now everything has been going quite well other than the fact that I have a lack of food and water now. I am attempting to make farms but It seems It is Autumn and all I have is Strawberry seeds. We shall see how this goes, maybe some new migrants shall come and save the day. Or my dwarf's will be faced with starvation and eventually fall into cannibalism. Wish me Luck
-David Weatherford

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 09:37:33 pm »

Is it planned that garbage dumping will in fact be "fixed" so that quantum stockpiling becomes impossible?

No.

Well, it seems that as of now everything has been going quite well other than the fact that I have a lack of food and water now. I am attempting to make farms but It seems It is Autumn and all I have is Strawberry seeds. We shall see how this goes, maybe some new migrants shall come and save the day. Or my dwarf's will be faced with starvation and eventually fall into cannibalism. Wish me Luck

Good luck.

DirtPoacher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 09:58:29 pm »

Also, when a dwarf is blinking with certain symbols what does that mean? Like lets say there is a dwarf and he has a question mark blinking or some other symbol? I pretty much figured out the Thirsty symbol because I have no source of drink and they are all dehydrated. Can anyone atleast give me a link to maybe a wiki of dwarf moods? or What you would call them?
-David Weatherford
Pages: [1] 2