Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Volcanos not showing up on Local map  (Read 1015 times)

LittleJP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Volcanos not showing up on Local map
« on: February 07, 2012, 03:33:29 pm »

So, I've genned a custom world with Volcanoes everywhere.

Now, when I go over a region with a volcano, on the local map, the magma tile may or may not show up. Is this normal behaviour?
In case it wasn't obvious, I do know that dividing by zero is a mathematical impossibility. I do not know, however, how this dwarven calculator would react if anyone attempted the impossible. Please, someone try! xD
If you look back in the thread, some people did try, and they got 8008135, which is significant only in that the digits resemble the letter in "BOOBIES".
And so dwarf fortress solves yet another of lifes great mysteries.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Volcanos not showing up on Local map
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 03:44:43 pm »

Do you think you could upload the world since that isn't normal behavior? Also just double checking here, but you are looking for the tilde (~) sign right? Not the '^' sign?
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

LittleJP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 03:49:36 pm »

I'm looking for the magma tile, since I'm using the Ironhand tileset.
In case it wasn't obvious, I do know that dividing by zero is a mathematical impossibility. I do not know, however, how this dwarven calculator would react if anyone attempted the impossible. Please, someone try! xD
If you look back in the thread, some people did try, and they got 8008135, which is significant only in that the digits resemble the letter in "BOOBIES".
And so dwarf fortress solves yet another of lifes great mysteries.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 06:28:12 pm »

well they should be red, anyway.  I'm not sure what Iron Hand does, but in stock in the two largest maps they are ^ and then down in the region (smallest of the three) maps they will be the double ~.

When you are on your local embark map, the magma does not always come through the surface.  often it will have an obsidian cap on top, which sometimes may have snow on top of it or it might blend in with surrounding rock.  I dont think it ever gets grass or sand on it, so it should at least show up as a round obsidian plug unless you are on a tundra or glacier or mountain...

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 11:17:16 pm »

Volcanoes will rarely generate underground. Functionally, it's the same as a shallow magma tube - although guessing where it is isn't always easy. You see this bug all the time if you play with a very large number of volcanoes.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 12:38:55 am »

actually, its fairly predictable. 

you embark on a known size, say a 3x3 or a 2x5 section or whatever.  the volcano is on one of those embark squares, roughly in the center of it.

If you know where the red double ~ tile was relative to your embark site, you can divide it up into what the world map tiles should be, and there you go.