Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Exotic war animals  (Read 757 times)

TheGazebo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Exotic war animals
« on: February 07, 2012, 08:46:48 am »

I'm a complete noob to DF modding but after buying a giant jaguar from the elves I decided to try modding it to make it trainable. I have changed the [PET_EXOTIC] tags to [PET] for both jaguars and giant jaguars as well as removing the [CV_REMOVE_TAG:PET_EXOTIC] and [CV_REMOVE_TAG:PET] from the giant entry of c_variations_default.txt. I did this for both the worldgen raws and the region's raws. Every time I tell my animal trainer to train a war animal he cancels the job claiming that there are no suitable animals. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong or if this is even possible please?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Exotic war animals
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 09:53:07 am »

HAve you added the [TRAINABLE] or [TRAINABLE_WAR] tags? If not then do so.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

TheGazebo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 10:01:01 am »

It already has the [TRAINABLE] tag. Do I need to add [TRAINABLE_WAR] too?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 10:03:06 am »

Not if it already has it, no. My guess is that the creature variations are "locked" on world creation and can no longer be further modified without breaking open the world.dat file. Other then that I don't have a clue as to what would be stopping it. That would mean that though you could train normal jaguars, you couldn't change giant ones to be trainable.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

TheGazebo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 10:11:03 am »

My guess is that the creature variations are "locked" on world creation and can no longer be further modified without breaking open the world.dat file. Other then that I don't have a clue as to what would be stopping it. That would mean that though you could train normal jaguars, you couldn't change giant ones to be trainable.

I take it that editing the world.dat file is more difficult than changing the raws? I don't have any regular jaguars to perform !!SCIENCE! on but I will keep and eye out. I don't know if it makes a difference but I'm using the LNP with Pheobus 31.25v23 tileset, i think i read somewhere that using a skin can make modding the raws more complicated.

nukularpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 12:53:21 pm »

I bet I know what the problem is.  Are you editing the raws in your savegame folder?  You need to edit under /DFdirectory/data/save/regionX/raw/objects if you're trying to edit a savegame, not the default raw folder.

It should definately work, I have done it

edit:  nm.. said you did both.  Dunno then, but it works for me
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 01:19:03 pm by nukularpower »

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 02:07:03 pm »

You can add trainable after generation. Make sure the animal is available in the same way a dog would be, I find it best assigning it to a pasture and then freeing it from it to put it in roaming mode, that ensures that the train job finds the animal.
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

TheGazebo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 03:16:19 pm »

You can add trainable after generation. Make sure the animal is available in the same way a dog would be, I find it best assigning it to a pasture and then freeing it from it to put it in roaming mode, that ensures that the train job finds the animal.

You are a bloody genius. I had the animal pastured so the trainer couldn't find it. Now my legendary marksman has a pet giant war jaguar :D