Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: I need to make £800 in 3 months.  (Read 7572 times)

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I need to make £800 in 3 months.
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2012, 02:50:09 pm »

I live in an area where they are more flats than houses. Flats are basically run-down apartments. Flats are where people are sent to live, if they would otherwise be homeless and they have dependencies.

ie;
- Single Teen Mothers
- Drug-abusers who leech off of the government payout's.

Therefore, when somebody is begging for money, you're a crackhead trying to get cash for your drugs. You buy your drugs, run out of money, get back to begging.

You should hear some of the stories they concoct for this.

"I need some bus money so I can get to <other town> Hospital, my mom got hit by a car." Was one.

As a result of years of this nonsense, people will just ignore you, or go out of their way to avoid you. In addition to beggars, we get flyer hand-outs and people trying to sign you up to shit, or to take surveys. Seriously, going to town is hell because of all this :/.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2012, 04:14:30 pm »

I live in an area where they are more flats than houses. Flats are basically run-down apartments. Flats are where people are sent to live, if they would otherwise be homeless and they have dependencies.

ie;
- Single Teen Mothers

Therefore, when somebody is begging for money, you're a crackhead trying to get cash for your drugs. You buy your drugs, run out of money, get back to begging.

"I need some bus money so I can get to <other town> Hospital, my mom got hit by a car." Was one.

As a result of years of this nonsense, people will just ignore you, or go out of their way to avoid you. In addition to beggars, we get flyer hand-outs and people trying to sign you up to shit, or to take surveys. Seriously, going to town is hell because of all this :/.
hmm..... how fast you think you can program a game?

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2012, 04:54:36 pm »

ie;
- Single Teen Mothers

hmm..... how fast you think you can program a game?

you mean this one?

www.project-terra.net

www.indiedb.com/games/the-ancients/
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2012, 04:57:02 pm »

Go for Ancients and see if you can pull 5 pounds for each download.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2012, 05:17:19 pm »

We're thinking more around £8/9, because profits need to be split 50/50 between myself and the programmer, plus when it hits steam, they'll be taking a cut of it too.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2012, 05:28:42 pm »

We're thinking more around £8/9, because profits need to be split 50/50 between myself and the programmer, plus when it hits steam, they'll be taking a cut of it too.
Steam? Alright try this, put it on Desura first as a Alphafunding for 10 pounds but upgrade those graphics.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2012, 05:47:33 pm »

Steam? Alright try this, put it on Desura first as a Alphafunding for 10 pounds but upgrade those graphics.

That's all the skill I got, man. I have a friend I can pay to redraw the tilesheets at a later date, in any case.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2012, 05:57:41 pm »

That's all the skill I got, man. I have a friend I can pay to redraw the tilesheets at a later date, in any case.

Thats cool man just trying to see if you can jumpstart your profits fast as all you gotta do is make at least 150 sales, now if you already got most of the features in i would ahead right now and let someone else mod in graphics themselves, the belief of gameplay over graphics is still going strong.
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2012, 08:20:23 pm »

look at minecraft

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2012, 08:39:02 pm »

Screw that stuff, find a patron.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2012, 11:31:04 pm »

EDIT: @above poster
please be joking.

Just being cynical :P

The reselling stuff does work, though, but it carries some risk and it's a lot of work. I think multi-level marketing actually works too if you're hardworking, but it takes more than a few months to pay off.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2012, 01:26:33 am »

And for MLM it doesn't pay to be in at the death.  Either be an early adopter (of something that continues to be adopted) or be the initiator (and be the prime beneficiary of it all, but at the risk of immediate failure or subsequent retaliatory action...).  Also, starting an MLM is (in my worldview) criminal in and of itself, even if you escape/avoid the wrath of Trading Standards/whoever.  And even if you aren't at the top, mostly you'd only profit from lower echelon's effective losses...

(Yes, there's more to MLMs than pyramid schemes.  There's also what, from the top, is actually more like a Ponzi scheme.  Maybe there's something legitimate out there that's MLM, but it's escaped my attention.)

Oh dear, I'm being negative again.  Perhaps that's why I'm not rich. "No, I don't want to do that.  No, I don't want to do that.  No, that's a stupid idea.  No, that's a bit of a grey area and I'm not comfortable.  No, I don't want to falsely claim I was injured[1] to get a four-figure sum," etc.

How long does it take to get these four-figure sums, then?  Can you 'slip' on an untreated icy pavement[2] or something equally possible?  I wouldn't, and wouldn't actually like it if you did, but if it's more within your moral framework (yeah, it'll up someone's or some entity's insurance premiums a token amount, but probably insignificant in the grand scheme of things where other people are doing the same, regardless) then it might work.

[1] Semi-true story.  As in I have been asked to do so (even prompted as to what to say!) but I have never actually said no.  I just started ignoring their later attempts to contact me to progress the claim, once I realised what was actually happening.

[2] There's imminent ice warnings across huge swathes of the UK, once the rains come down on the cold ground.  Not sure if it'd cover your locale.  If the snow's not mostly/totally gone from your area, you might not even need to wait for that, though.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2012, 12:25:23 pm »

will the pavemen is not grited in most places, it is some ones job to grit it in most places, try super market car parks.

id say the best thig now is drive way clearing, no one want to do it but snow is crap for parking.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

dragginmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2012, 04:54:47 am »

I have generally noticed there is a reason why no idea provided will work. None of them being "I tried that"

If u want it, you will unplug the pc and go get it. Otherwise I recomnend a girlfriend located on your island.

What I am trying to say is, money usually does not fall into ones lap. Your neighborhood sounds terrible, go to a better one to beg.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2012, 01:13:57 pm »

I have generally noticed there is a reason why no idea provided will work. None of them being "I tried that"

No, the main reason is that if there was a way to make lots of money in a short amount of time, it would be a gold rush, and so many people would do it that it becomes no longer profitable. Like begging :P Or making mobile phone apps. I heard you could make tons of money off vibrator apps and flashlights.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4