Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: I need to make £800 in 3 months.  (Read 7567 times)

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I need to make £800 in 3 months.
« on: February 07, 2012, 04:53:30 am »

So, my missus' Senior Prom is in May, over in Amurrika. I've got 3 months to make £800, so I can get on over there and support myself for a week or two.

1. £800 is roughly how much I imagine I need to be on the safe side. Might be able to get away with £500/600.

2.Any ideas on how to make that much money?

I'm 22 and perfectly capable of most things. I'm currently registered with an Agency, but no work as of yet. I call them every two days, often less.
I'm actively looking for work, but I'm guessing that I'm being lost in the hundreds/thousands of other responses they get. I'm currently in the process of spamming the promising jobs.

In b4;

LOL GET A JOB.
SUCK DICK LOL
etc
get a real girlfriend hurr

I have a Yamaha PSR E313 for sale if anybody dowants. Good condition and all.

I also have a bunch of DVDs/Games that I'm willing to part with.

IMUSTDOTHIS.  :(
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I need to make £800 in 3 months.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 07:16:06 am »

2.Any ideas on how to make that much money?

I'm 22 and perfectly capable of most things. I'm currently registered with an Agency, but no work as of yet. I call them every two days, often less.
I'm actively looking for work, but I'm guessing that I'm being lost in the hundreds/thousands of other responses they get. I'm currently in the process of spamming the promising jobs.

Wouldn't working at something like a supermarket for 3 months net you this? Most of them are hiring all year round at short notice as they tend to have high staff turnover.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 07:55:12 am »

Donate blood and/or plasma.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 08:01:52 am »

while I have no idea how to raise it, don't even think about using those websites that loan you money (e.g. quickquid, wonga.com etc.) as they have extortionate rates (I think it is wonga that has over 3000% APR. you may only be giving it back over a month, but that is still a lot of money, and if you miss the payment, the intrest will skyrocket. I tend to think of them as legalised loan sharks)

Yeah, I did the CerealGuy.gif when I saw that advert. You find the most interesting things in Small Print these days.

Wouldn't working at something like a supermarket for 3 months net you this? Most of them are hiring all year round at short notice as they tend to have high staff turnover.

Suffice to say, no jobs going in my area. I just did a 60-mile radius search, came up with eight pages of jobs, and was only able for about 8 of those. The rest were either "Car Required" "Previous Experience Essential" or "5 hours a week". :<

Donate blood and/or plasma.

I don't think we get paid for that.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 08:11:22 am »

Call your local blood banks and find out. I know you're across the pond but I'd be surprised if no blood banks over there use the Money for Blood plan.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 08:32:42 am »

I think selling blood and plasma is illegal in the UK but don't quote me on that.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 08:37:55 am by MorleyDev »

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 08:34:30 am »

Suffice to say, no jobs going in my area. I just did a 60-mile radius search, came up with eight pages of jobs, and was only able for about 8 of those. The rest were either "Car Required" "Previous Experience Essential" or "5 hours a week". :<

If you just did an online search that might be why. It's shocking the number of retail stores that don't put their adverts online as well.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 09:26:36 am »

I'd suggest teaching English in Beijing, but then you'd be in the same boat you're in now.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 09:28:43 am »

Apparently, you can donate blood for £60... but only every four months.

Is this a bad time to mention I have really bad psychological reactions to needles? Last time, I actually fainted. Was HILARIOUS.

I'd suggest teaching English in Beijing, but then you'd be in the same boat you're in now.

I looked into teaching English in Japan once upon a time, but I had to "have just left college" to do so, or otherwise, pay for everything myself.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 09:32:05 am »

Well I guess that rules that out. Although, if you can stand it, I think you can donate plasma more frequently than you can blood? I think you can go in once a week or something to the banks here. And they pay you more every time you come in.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 09:32:59 am »

Hand resumes into every store that you can think of. It's how I got my job. Most retail stores don't advertise job positions.

Rearrange your previous job positions on your resume to have your most relevant job on the top of the list. Most resume readers will only look at the job at the top.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 09:39:26 am »

Just try the 5 hours a week, if you can line a few of them up you'll be pretty set.
The restaurant i work in frequently has waitresses who make significantly more than me on an average week because they work 2-3 part time jobs. It doesn't always work out though, and i guess over here at least casual wages are insane.
I could make as much as i do now from working 38-45 hours a week as a qualified chef if i did casual cook work three nights a week (including weekends) for 6 hours a day.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 10:35:00 am »

Well I guess that rules that out. Although, if you can stand it, I think you can donate plasma more frequently than you can blood? I think you can go in once a week or something to the banks here. And they pay you more every time you come in.

Plasma is real?

I thought it was a reference to Sims 3. xD

Hand resumes into every store that you can think of. It's how I got my job. Most retail stores don't advertise job positions.

Rearrange your previous job positions on your resume to have your most relevant job on the top of the list. Most resume readers will only look at the job at the top.

I've actually handed out CVs to all my local shops that I qualify for, twice in 6 months or so.

Just try the 5 hours a week, if you can line a few of them up you'll be pretty set.
The restaurant i work in frequently has waitresses who make significantly more than me on an average week because they work 2-3 part time jobs. It doesn't always work out though, and i guess over here at least casual wages are insane.
I could make as much as i do now from working 38-45 hours a week as a qualified chef if i did casual cook work three nights a week (including weekends) for 6 hours a day.

Chef job <3.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 10:40:20 am »

Here's a quick guide on making desperate cash:

Get one of the 5 hours per week job. At worst, you'll end up padding the meager sum you'll be making from doing odd jobs. At best, you'll get more hours than advertised and maybe even land a steady job. When you're desperate for cash, money is money.

Find out if there are universities nearby. See if they have a science department. Sell yourself to science - Some students need to do experiments with a large pool to draw their data from, and sometimes pay a few bucks to let them do strange (But mostly safe) stuff to you. Don't take any drugs, though. These are university students.

Grab your £60 from the blood donation if you can't find a plasma center around somewhere. £60 is £60.

Sometimes you can even get paid to donate your, uh, 'potential children' at a sperm bank. Never tried it myself, since I don't fancy the idea of having a bunch of kids I don't know about wandering around without me knowing it. Besides: ew. I also have no clue how common these are in Europe. I've never even seen one here in the States.

Start a car wash or lawn mowing business. You can sometimes get £10 - £15 for doing a single lawn or car, and considering that professionals charge about five times more, most people are willing to pay for it. You would probably have to go door to door, though, not to mention have the right equipment.

Bake cookies and go door to door selling them. Eventually you'll run into a kind, elderly woman who'll give you extortionate amounts of cash for a plate of cookies. Once you've found one of those elderly people who pay too much for your cookies, visit them at least once a week.

Sometimes, if you're a minority (And sometimes, even if you're not!) those stupid survey websites will pay somewhere around £0.10 euros per survey. The problem is that you'll be making very little money for your time - But if you do about 8000 surveys, you'll have your trip paid for!

If you're truly desperate, you can get a sign that says, "[Country] promised me [X], but all I got was this stupid cardboard box."

That's all I can think of. Good luck.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Habblatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 11:41:39 am »

I think Knight of Fools put it well. An important thing, is that you shouldn't make up any excuses for not doing it - if you really want the money, if you really want to go, get off the internet for a bit and just do it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4