Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarfs: an endangered species  (Read 1114 times)

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
Dwarfs: an endangered species
« on: February 07, 2012, 03:26:34 am »

Does anyone have any useful parameters for creating a world that has bigger dorf civilizations? Every time I gen a world it seems like there's only two civs to choose from, and neither is big enough to show up on the world map. Of course, this results in me embarking with only HALF of the items I need, resulting in very short term fun.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfs: an endangered species
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 05:54:35 am »

What items you have are based on what type of materials your civilization has access to. The size of them only determines how many migrants can come to your fort before they...all get there due to some accidents.

This takes a long time to achieve.

Half the items you need? Do you mean you are using the standard embark layout with a fixed set of points to spend or you want more?

Go into Advanced world generation. You can make a world where you can start with 10,000 embark points.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 06:19:46 am »

Does anyone have any useful parameters for creating a world that has bigger dorf civilizations? Every time I gen a world it seems like there's only two civs to choose from, and neither is big enough to show up on the world map. Of course, this results in me embarking with only HALF of the items I need, resulting in very short term fun.

In the current version dwarfs have same problem as kobolds do. Though unlike kobolds who ALL starve at year 4, only most of dwarfs starve at year 4. See, at the current version dwarf world gen farming doesn't really work since they live in mountains so lots of them starve to death.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 06:28:52 am »

Half the items you need? Do you mean you are using the standard embark layout with a fixed set of points to spend or you want more?
I mean half the materials I embark with usually don't exist. Most commonly turtles or bituminous coal, but I often have problems with not even being able to bring seeds.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 06:38:35 am »

Certain types of the material of everything of the type of said material?

Did you edit the raws for any reason? (A folder in the DF folder)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 09:15:11 am »

larger worlds and changing site and population limits can both help. In large maps that are mostly land and not island, I often have up to 10 civs to choose from, most of them showing on the map
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 12:48:48 pm »

In 31.18 I didn't have this problem. In 31.25 I generated a world with Lazy Newb settings, and started from a civilisation without access to iron and underground seeds.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 05:43:08 pm »

Increase the amount of non aligned mountains.