Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Soul  (Read 1231 times)

Rudefire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Soul
« on: February 06, 2012, 10:43:47 pm »

Is it possible to separate the soul from the body?

If so, how difficult is this?

What are the uses of this?

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: Soul
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 10:46:31 pm »

Death seperate soul and body... permanently. Death is very easy to create. Depending on the person and the condition of the death, it can range from hilariously counterproductive or amazingly useful.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Rudefire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 10:48:10 pm »

I should have added a caveat. Is there any way other than death to do this? Modding possibly?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 11:56:37 pm »

The only other thing I know of: you can use DFusion, if I recall, to become a ghost/wandering soul in adventure mode. Among other things, with a little effort this lets you walk through walls (!)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 12:34:20 am »

The only other thing I know of: you can use DFusion, if I recall, to become a ghost/wandering soul in adventure mode. Among other things, with a little effort this lets you walk through walls (!)
This or another similar utility might be able to pull it off. Other then that, no.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Iosis4al1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 03:11:56 pm »

-For an item, attach the "soul" as an organ, to a butcherable creature -or- use the [ITEMCORPSE] tag to drop "souls" instead of corpses.
-For a ghost, in fortress mode just wait for a member of the playable race to die & don't bury them.
It's all in: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Creature_token

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 06:23:00 pm »

True soul/body separation isn't supported in the current version, but will be in the next release.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 11:56:10 pm »

True soul/body separation isn't supported in the current version, but will be in the next release.

Not quite--I'm almost sure (which, of course, means 100% :P) that any creature's soul doesn't go anywhere during periods of werebeastery and such, other than memory and other programmy things; the soul will still be a 100% intangible, purely abstracted thing.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 02:15:44 am »

well the soul is just the creature if you could find it you can flip on or off the dead tag to bring it back.
and being Dead just keeps them in place until removed.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 08:48:16 am »

Not quite--I'm almost sure (which, of course, means 100% :P) that any creature's soul doesn't go anywhere during periods of werebeastery and such, other than memory and other programmy things; the soul will still be a 100% intangible, purely abstracted thing.

According to the release notes, it will be possible during the next version to simultaneously have a dead dwarf's soul return as a ghost while the body is reanimated by a necromancer as a zombie.  So the next version will have support for the soul and body separating and acting apart from each other.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.