Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Let's Play Sword of the Samurai!  (Read 17336 times)

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Let's Play Sword of the Samurai!
« on: February 06, 2012, 10:02:54 pm »

So once again, I am attempting an LP! This time I'm trying it in an informal format, so perhaps I won't lose interest. Onwards to victory! And a very unimpressive OP!

The most important question facing a samurai warrior...what name shall he be known by throughout the land?

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Sword of the Samurai!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 10:23:15 pm »

Bob Smith.
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 10:30:20 pm »

What prefecture should Bob Smith be from? If you want to choose based on stats, the four stats are swordsmanship, generalship, honor and land. If you choose two I will pick a province that has high amounts of both. Or you can just choose one that looks cool :)

Xanatos Jr.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 11:02:02 pm »

High Sword and Honor. Good General if possible.
"My Little Space Marine"
Featuring a precocious chapter librarian, his pet servitor, and their wacky bunch of battle-brothers.  Watch as they learn the true meaning of undying devotion to the Emperor while creatively solving conflicts both in the ranks and on the battlefield.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 11:15:47 pm »

High sword, High General.  This man shall be Shogun!   
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 12:02:21 am »

High sword, High General.  This man shall be Shogun!
This. You don't need land or honor if everywhere you go you leave the enemy lying on the ground bleeding to death. ;)
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 12:57:01 am »

The 'melee' battles in this game were so freaking rage inducing.  They give you two hits but you are basically a sitting duck to spearmen after the first hit.  Spearmen are pretty tricky even on the first hit in fact.  Meanwhile swordsmen are easy-peasy.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 10:25:26 am »

Spearmen are quite scary. I always try to take them out with my bow.

As per your request I have chosen Sagami province. Not only does it have high swordsmanship and generaliness, it also has a triforce as its symbol for added coolness.

I have taken the liberty of choosing Katana as the difficulty. On Katana, if you die you lose unless you have a son to take over your estates but it lacks the obnoxious difficulty of the highest level. I like a challenge but I don't like to auto-lose.

Lastly we must pick our house's family advantage. Which shall it be?

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 10:31:12 am »

Generalship. 

Cunning and intelligence can be greater than valor if used properly and with honor.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 10:48:55 am »

Bob Smith always had his father's name hovering over him. Whenever he did something bad as a child he was told that he was dishonoring the great house of Smith, greatest generals of Riemon. But then his father fell on hard times. His debtors became impatient and he became depressed. He took refuge in the sake bottle. Then one day he was struck down in battle by a flanking cavalry charge. He felled six of them before being himself struck down. Upon hearing the news Lord Riemon immediately called on Bob to come to his court.

After meeting his rivals and his new liege, Bob returns home to his fief. What is his next action?

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 10:53:07 am »

Equip more samurai.  We need more men. 

Edit: Okay, these guys are rivals.  Drat.  Yep, more men asap. 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 10:56:43 am by NRDL »
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 10:54:21 am »

After doing that, go travel and get yourself into duels until you can put your army into action.  It's too dangerous trying to kidnap heirs if you lose on death.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 03:14:03 pm »

Equip more samurai.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 04:18:17 pm »

I Kiyoshi, the humble steward of the mighty Smith household have taken it upon myself to record events as they unfold here so that they will not be lost in the sands of time.

Today I have been tasked with hiring more samurai for our great house. It didn't take much doing. Fifteen new samurai flocked to the service of our house, lured by promises of gold and women.

These brave new thugs warriors have increased our standing among the court. Perhaps people will begin to take Bob seriously now that he has a military force to be reckoned with.

In recognition, Lord Riemon has graciously placed Bob second in line for the inheritance.

Sakuan has followed suit and hired 5 samurai for his house. I suspect the ugliness of his daughters is to blame for the lack in recruiting power.

A herald from Lord Riemon's castle has arrived whilst we slept, awakening the household. An assassin from the Suruga clan has been discovered and cornered in the castle's tower. None are brave enough to enter and engage him in single combat but he is well guarded. There he will remain as a test of honour until he starves or is slain by a great man of the clan.

Bob departed this morning, saying he was seeking to prove himself as a worthy successor to the men of the kingdom. I wish him luck.

Where shall Bob go?

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 04:38:49 pm »

Bob shall prove himself by slicing and dicing this would-be-assassin single handedly.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5