Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hailbirds vs spears  (Read 2339 times)

Darkfyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hailbirds vs spears
« on: February 06, 2012, 04:13:42 pm »

What's the major difference between them? The wiki isn't so clear.
Also, Maces vs Hammers? I think hammers were better on armor but maces are better on unarmored sections, IIRC
One last question, since all weapons are the same speed, is it worth it to use short swords/daggers over longswords/2?
A gem-encrusted sock is perfect for ass-kicking.

Mekboy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEGABEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
Re: Hailbirds vs spears
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 04:26:56 pm »

Halberds have both slashing attacks and piercing attacks, whereas spears just have piercing attacks.
Quote from: CatalystParadox
Aw, Mekboy! A song for meeeee?
You're so sweet.  Why don't you just come in here so I can give you a hug.
... bring my pants.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
You seem to be under the illusion that we give a shit about what happens to dwarves who are too dumb to live.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 05:11:08 pm »

Maces have a higher contact area. This means that yes, maces are better against unarmored targets, but hammers punch through armor more easily.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 05:15:00 pm »

Spears have twice the stabbing penetration than halberds. Halbers have a slicy edge attack. Your call on this one, though given adventure modes awesome weapon wielding abilities, you can run around with both >:£

Darkfyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 10:32:12 pm »

Spear/throwing seems to be the way to go, just pummel stuff until you are close then stabby stabby. All you need is one good organ shot to incap an enemy (spears take longer to kill, but an enemy bleeding out or severly hurt is pretty much dead anyway, plus shield bashing can be good for kill shots).

This is of course not counting lightsaber whips.

A lot of high-end enemies need lucky organ shots to kill. You can bleed a hydra out instead of cutting off all the heads and dragons are a cinch. The only hard thing are Bronze collosi, but thats why you have varied companions :)/shield bashing/throwing
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 10:33:43 pm by Darkfyre »

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 11:38:05 pm »

Spear/throwing seems to be the way to go, just pummel stuff until you are close then stabby stabby. All you need is one good organ shot to incap an enemy (spears take longer to kill, but an enemy bleeding out or severly hurt is pretty much dead anyway, plus shield bashing can be good for kill shots).

This is of course not counting lightsaber whips.

A lot of high-end enemies need lucky organ shots to kill. You can bleed a hydra out instead of cutting off all the heads and dragons are a cinch. The only hard thing are Bronze collosi, but thats why you have varied companions :)/shield bashing/throwing
Misc Obj. user/throwing for me.  I throw random junk like vomit and severed heads at range, then when I close in I prefer giant corkscrews and menacing spikes.

Darkfyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 01:32:22 am »

The amount of throwing ammunition in this game is awesome. And I'm not talking about our guys massive guns that can throw xbow bolts as hard as he can shoot them  :o

Bowmanship and xbowmanship are getting buffed for adventure, and IIRC whips, pickaxes, and daggers are getting a penetration nerf. I think Wrestling is getting some sort of utility too so if you are a dedicated wrestler, you can actually survive  ;)
I love throwing Butchered bones of enemies at enemies. It's very funny.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 05:27:34 am »

The amount of throwing ammunition in this game is awesome. And I'm not talking about our guys massive guns that can throw xbow bolts as hard as he can shoot them  :o

Bowmanship and xbowmanship are getting buffed for adventure, and IIRC whips, pickaxes, and daggers are getting a penetration nerf. I think Wrestling is getting some sort of utility too so if you are a dedicated wrestler, you can actually survive  ;)
I love throwing Butchered bones of enemies at enemies. It's very funny.
A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...

Rijjka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 12:44:06 pm »

Ahh yes, throwing. My favorite throwing weapon is the theeth I pulled out of previous enemies heads, preferably while alive. My opening move when fighting a troll was to throw a fist full of teeth at his face. It didn't go so great. Then My axe got stuck in his ribs and I couldn't pull it out. Then he pulled out the axe and killed me with it. It was quite embarrasing.

And the adventure had gone so well up to that point.

In one of the older version I remember killing a badger with thrown sand.

But yeah, a good hit with spear and all you've got to do is run around until they bleed out. Or hold them in a crazy wrestling move until they bleed out. You know, which ever.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 12:54:05 pm by Rijjka »
To the dorf pulling the lever, the lever is just a lever. The magma pouring out of the mountainside is just a coincidence. To the dorf designing a pump stack from the magma sea, it is just that: a pump stack. No specific reason for it. It will never do anything.
for reasons best knows to themselves, the elves decided to explode