Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20

Author Topic: [DF 34.07] Warhammer 40k Underhive Settlement Mod - v1.3.2  (Read 85977 times)

Abregado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DF 34.07] Warhammer 40k Underhive Settlement Mod - v1.2.2
« Reply #180 on: April 19, 2012, 08:56:55 am »

Do you guys know if making a pistol with a bayonet having a "dagger" skill assigned allows it to be used by thieves? If so, you could have ranged thieves.

We are putting daggers in soon, so will test this out. Would be nice to have shooty thieves and snatchers

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 19, 2012, 10:19:07 pm »

will thieves and snatchers carry ammo though?

Abregado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 20, 2012, 02:37:20 am »

i dont know. i would link ammo in the entity, and we will just have to do !!SCIENCE!! to find out.

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 20, 2012, 04:02:02 am »

You need psykers. If possible, give them powers which have a chance of backfiring horribly. Making them cause unhappy thoughts might be good too.

You cannot have a proper underhive without a risk of chaos cults using psykers to let in stuff from the Immaterium.
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

Abregado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 20, 2012, 04:38:22 am »

chaos cults and Wyrds (as they are called in the underhive) are both going in eventually. I agree tho, psychic powers will be awesome!

We can have diplomats arrive from a "witch hunter" civ, who have the ability to seek out and kill your Wyrds. Keeping these guys happy will be important as they will bring special equipment. The Wyrds however, once discovered would be an incredible help to defending the fortress... your choice if you butcher the hunters when they come, or give up the wyrds without a fight...

After playing a fort where I was spending 100's of bullets a season training a squad of shooty guys, I'm implementing "blank ammo" which will be created from mallium as well but you will get much more units. It will also be made from a special material so you can restrict your military to use it only for training.

Once thats in we might look at making shooting more dangerous... and melee a little less so... tissue modifications and weapon penetrations being pretty high on the list

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 20, 2012, 04:54:48 am »

I vote for bayonets as a fall back if gunners run out of ammo. (or crudely attaching a shiv with some leather straps or whetever the equivalent of glue is.) It'd be more substantial than a rifle stock would be. Or maybe make proper bayonets for those good ol' slugthrowers a guilder treat.

I gotta admit I like the sound of psionics that may or may not backfire horribly.

And boy would it suck to have witch hunters mad at you....

Abregado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 20, 2012, 05:24:39 am »

apparently there is an arm of the Imperial psyker office that finds Psykers on imperial worlds. If they are babies/young enough they take them to be trained... otherwise they put them down. "Old" Wyrds are likely to be public enemy number 1. Would be good if we can find a way to let them be really useful but also dangerous for your fort, so you have a choice if to kill them.

Also Destroid and I were discussing putting BeeKeeping back in and using some sort of slime creature which multiplies by mitosis(sp?)... aka cell division. Dont know how this will go yet.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 20, 2012, 06:34:24 am »

question regarding gems: Glass should be the only thing there right? I've had moods which wanted rough and cut gems, but all there was was cut glass and rockrete and rough clear, green and crystal glass for the rough. Little jerks won't take it.

Is there a stone classed as a gem that got overlook?

Krantz86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 20, 2012, 06:58:54 am »

apparently there is an arm of the Imperial psyker office that finds Psykers on imperial worlds. If they are babies/young enough they take them to be trained... otherwise they put them down. "Old" Wyrds are likely to be public enemy number 1. Would be good if we can find a way to let them be really useful but also dangerous for your fort, so you have a choice if to kill them.

well, to be precise, it's the inquisition that take care of the psykers, when a government warn them or the voice of rogue psykers is hear black ships come fast then the psyker is judged, if he is found too corrupted or too unstable he is immediately executed, otherwise it's carried to the scholastic psykana to be trained.
wyrds instead are a kind of psykers unusually gifted in a specific branch, for example a delta-class telekinetic wyrd can lift and throw a rhino with the same ease as a "normal" alpha-class would, so they are -usually- considered too dangerous, age doesn't mater only power does
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 07:01:17 am by Krantz86 »
Re: 1000 sgins that you play Dwarf fortress (way) too much
154. When you get the word "adamantine" on your LA vocab, you quickly cross it out and replace it with "cotton candy" and spend the next 10 minutes in fetal position rocking back and forth in fear. (Yes, I actually did this.)
...Wait. Adamantine is real?...
...155. You are no longer sure what metals are real or fictional.

Suds Zimmerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 20, 2012, 09:40:15 am »

Also Destroid and I were discussing putting BeeKeeping back in and using some sort of slime creature which multiplies by mitosis(sp?)... aka cell division. Dont know how this will go yet.

Frankly, I don't think there's any more need to add any more slimes or anything like that -they're not all that interesting imo and not really that realistic. Although realism isn't really a priority with 40k in general. Why not roaches or some such? Some of 'em secrete a protein-rich substance after birth, and I'm sure hivers might have domesticated them and bred them so that they do it constantly. That way you could make 'em take over milk-producing duty from grox (they are lizards after all) and have hives produce roach meat too. I still support sludge shrimp too, bottom-feeders and all.

well, to be precise, it's the inquisition that take care of the psykers, when a government warn them or the voice of rogue psykers is hear black ships come fast then the psyker is judged, if he is found too corrupted or too unstable he is immediately executed, otherwise it's carried to the scholastic psykana to be trained.
wyrds instead are a kind of psykers unusually gifted in a specific branch, for example a delta-class telekinetic wyrd can lift and throw a rhino with the same ease as a "normal" alpha-class would, so they are -usually- considered too dangerous, age doesn't mater only power does

It's the Imperial Governor's job to gather psykers and hand them over. I think the Ecclesiarchy helps out with that too, what with their ties to the Ordo Hereticus whose mandate is the gathering of psykers. The Inquisition manages the Black Ships that pick up all the psykers and I'm sure they do witch hunts of their own when the Black Ships are in orbit. Most psykers don't actually go on to become sanctioned but are rather sacrificed to maintain the Astronomicon or the Golden Throne. Psykers could be done as a caste, but having sieges come if you don't surrender couldn't be done, so that might be difficult. Spook though is a drug that induces temporary psychic powers, made from synthdiet that has decayed for centuries in the depths of the underhive. Once the drug industry is in Spook might be included.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows
DORFAMUNDA - NECROMUNDA DF MOD

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 20, 2012, 10:45:47 am »

I think you need something like crystallized rockcrete or whatever, as well as maybe a mutated grox that bears wool. Those would be for moods.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Suds Zimmerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 20, 2012, 04:20:04 pm »

I think you need something like crystallized rockcrete or whatever, as well as maybe a mutated grox that bears wool. Those would be for moods.

That or a wooly rat.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows
DORFAMUNDA - NECROMUNDA DF MOD

Abregado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 20, 2012, 08:04:57 pm »

It's the Imperial Governor's job to gather psykers and hand them over. I think the Ecclesiarchy helps out with that too, what with their ties to the Ordo Hereticus whose mandate is the gathering of psykers. The Inquisition manages the Black Ships that pick up all the psykers and I'm sure they do witch hunts of their own when the Black Ships are in orbit. Most psykers don't actually go on to become sanctioned but are rather sacrificed to maintain the Astronomicon or the Golden Throne.

An artist and a scholar. I always see the Imperium as a huge Bureaucracy that functions at a galactic level. Each planets governor would have to manage this at a planetary level, but even the lower level folks in the Ordo Hereticus (and other Inquisition) would still outrank almost everyone planetside. From the Necromunda source/rulebooks it seems that this filters down another level to the underhive. Guilders and other Uphive gents organise the local rabble to do the work for them. Most often this is in the form of Bounty Hunters, or other scum who will work for money, and can be nearly squashed if they actually encounter the taint of chaos.

Also one might conspire to think that the Redemptor Cult is fueled by uphive infiltrators to keep things "heretic free". The Redemptionists would not wait for a moment before killing themselves if they encountered chaos (only after purging the deamons of course!). In this may I see them as the Imperial white blood cells in the underhive.... very dangerous, but also autonomous.

Psykers could be done as a caste, but having sieges come if you don't surrender couldn't be done, so that might be difficult.

Actually... last night we may have found a way to get this to happen.

Civ "Imperial checker guys" send diplomats to your fort either alone (if the elf diplomat thing is fixed) or with a wagon. These have an interaction they can do only to creatures with a certain blood type/caste. They bind them and take them away (read:kill), then leave. Since they havent killed anyone in the normal sense you will still be friends with them. There would be a long timer on this interaction so each time they come they could kill one or two times...

heres the good bit...Your options:

Hide your known wyrds away when this guy shows up. If he cant pathfind to them, he cant check them.
Leave your wyrds outside so you dont get blood/fire on your fort (some wyrds might become enraged by the checking)
Kill the hunter/checker guy - eventually will lead to war with this civ (probably seiging with bounty hunters/local ordo hirelings)

Frankly, I don't think there's any more need to add any more slimes or anything like that -they're not all that interesting

I agree entirely. Been looking through the options. Thought having yeast colonies might be a good idea but then decided against it. Our main issues with beekeeping are:

Low Labour: You dont need many guys with Beekeeping enabled to have an enormous beefarm
INFINITE COSMIC POWER!!: You can keep growing your farm forever. Due to the doubling system and no risk of failure over time you will produce more with no risk
TEENY TINY LIVING SPACE: These things take very little space

For these reasons I would never let you produce food with this system, it would be too easy. Perhaps it can produce an ingredient for a food process... I was thinking more along the lines of an industrial material for the advanced stage of production. Again it has to be only a catalyst or enabler material, not a usable material itself.

Fixes:
The insects in the hives bite.. and have a sickness that can keep your beekeepers in hospital for a while. This only solves the labour issue, but will add some interesting stuff with using hives in fort defences...

The product is only half of a required material. The other half is produced elsewhere (farming, butchery, smelting) Could be as simple as adding water.

Since these should be later game items, so perhaps you need a lot of quantity to process them into the next stage. This would mean it generated "pulses" in the economy and promotes quality stockpile design.

That or a wooly rat.

These both have crossed my mind. I think that the moods look for a gem of a particular value. In testing by moodies sometimes used glass, but i've seen them refuse to, and got a lot of feedback from you guys about them not doing it.

Wool is also a problem. It might seem strange that we dont just add it in to fix the mood problem, but we really try not to add something back in unless we change it thematically, or design a decent piece of gameplay for it.

When your hivers get moods i want you to think about the options. I dont always want it to be a case of "Check, I have gems and wool in storage, come and get them moody guy, thats all they are good for". I want you to think... "OH SHEEET a mood, do I want to trade my precious gems and other items for a chance at more skill level, or even that guys life". Keeping valuables behind locked grates should be a valid option, as is locking the moody guys behind them...

New stuff we did last night:
*Zombie Plague*
Changed nobles
added [DAGGER] items to all civs
Made everything more resistant to death, but not to wounding
Removed the rock drums/funnels/woodsaws
Added the ability to make them from carbide at the Machine Shop
Added Crates of bottles and Medical supply crates (all the stuff u need for a hospital)

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 21, 2012, 12:39:12 am »

just a thought: spider's eyes are valuable gems in necromunda, iirc (or rather, *some* spider's eyes are valuable gems). just saying :P ^^

(you can all thank me later that instead of getting gems by digging in dirt that won't try to kill and eat you, instead you have to go hunting for giant spiders floating on rafts in the ooze).

as far as various "farming" industries... hmmm... let me go dig up the old hive ken article...

hmmm... let's see... wildsnake hunters (which use a "wildsnake catchpole") can get wildsnake skins and of course wildsnake.

spider hunters (which get a great big spear gun to hunt gigantic spiders). dangerous job (about half the time you use it, you get injured in some way), but can get meat, venom, eyes from a gigantic raft spider (up to 8, count as gems i suppose), a tank spider chitin which is armor save 5+, a chameleon spider which makes you harder to hit at long ranges, stiletto spiders which can yield 2 venom daggers, or a really large spider that has some random equipment in it's gut. an even bigger one that he can pluck an eye from and gains fear immunity. and a super-gigantic one, called a gigantic albino mare raft spider, with super-expensive eyes (if you actually manage to kill this thing, i presume you wouldn't be too eager to let it's eyes get used to skill up something unless you really value that thing). note that tank spiders and everything after that are quite rare (roll a 6 to get a chance at *one* of those types of spiders, and the very last 2 only ever happen once for any given spider hunter).

stinger mould harvester (these allow extreme levels of healing).

orb spider handler (can get web to make web grenades, and blade venom).

rumor monger (not sure how you'd handle this one).

scavenger (actually scavenges corpses and such. can find bionics).

explorer (not sure how you'd implement)

giant rat herder (could give you attack animal options?).

carrion bat handler (gives you bats that you can send messages with and which also fight. the bats also have the plague, so...). can cause your bat handler to become immune to the plague as well, which is nice.

none of these are, to my knowledge, canon for the setting. but it was definitely one of the articles i found really interesting (although frankly, i think it was also quite a ridiculously *powerful* set of skills for gangers to choose from compared to almost anything... getting a bunch of scaly spear guns or 3 extra bats to take bullets for you and such can all really add up fast).

Abregado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 21, 2012, 01:47:00 am »

just a thought: spider's eyes are valuable gems in necromunda, iirc (or rather, *some* spider's eyes are valuable gems). just saying  ^^
Yeah we discussed Raft Spiders as semi-mega beasts. Havent gotten around to putting them in yet. They will have the expensive eyegems. Not sure what else we could do with them.

....the rest....
Some sweet stuff here. I've read a lot of the community, white dwarf and fanatic magazine rules. Everything was terribly unbalanced. That is one thing with necromunda. The balance was always baaaaad. Plasma guns or Meltaguns... an easy choice.

Stinger mould might be worth looking into., while having war pets will come later with Beastmaster Wyrds.

I found a hardcopy of the Campaign rules we use (heavily modified house rules made over the last 10 years). Turns out i have lost the digital copy but, if anyone is interested in them i'll scan them in and convert them to text.

EDIT: Found the postbattle half of our rules balances. Mainly Combat Skills and stat increases. Here
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 02:06:00 am by Abregado »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20