Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Grenades  (Read 1684 times)

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
Grenades
« on: February 05, 2012, 11:44:55 pm »

We have a throwing skill, a misc object skill. We can mod in our own ranged weapons and ammo. Has anyone been able to make a grenade like weapon, or perhaps a magma-safe flask with magma inside that breaks and covers the enemy in lava?
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Grenades
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 11:59:44 pm »

Seems like it would be easy enough to make some sort of grenade using adventure mode reactions. Maybe have a reaction to create a grenade and then another reaction to prime it. Fortress mode would be more difficult, but I think you could get a reasonable approximation if you gave your dwarves a modded version of the magma crab's rock spitting attack.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 12:00:30 am »

Fluids are not moddable, so no magma...

Grenades are in theory possible, with boiling stones that use syndromes. I use the same system for landmines. The problem is that the throwing skill is not used in fortress mode.

What you can do is give a metal a syndrome, make a bolt out of it, and let it melt at body temperature. If the bolt hits a target and you read this: Bolt has lodged firmly in the wound, then the bolt is in the body, get heated up, melts, and affects the creature with the syndrome. I use this for special ammo.

Proper grenades are not possible as far as I know. The only thing you can do is make an exploding pet, called grenade with an exploding itemcorpse, and throw it down a pit, with the pit/pond command. If you build a murderhole above your fortentry, and the enemy is below it, you can throw your pet-grenades at them.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 02:48:57 am »

I guess you would have to use grenade launchers then in fortress mode?

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 04:47:27 am »

Grenades are in theory possible, with boiling stones that use syndromes. I use the same system for landmines. The problem is that the throwing skill is not used in fortress mode.

What you can do is give a metal a syndrome, make a bolt out of it, and let it melt at body temperature. If the bolt hits a target and you read this: Bolt has lodged firmly in the wound, then the bolt is in the body, get heated up, melts, and affects the creature with the syndrome. I use this for special ammo.

Proper grenades are not possible as far as I know. The only thing you can do is make an exploding pet, called grenade with an exploding itemcorpse, and throw it down a pit, with the pit/pond command. If you build a murderhole above your fortentry, and the enemy is below it, you can throw your pet-grenades at them.

What happens if it dies of old age in a cage?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 07:52:03 am »

Throwing skill is used in fortress Mode, [FIREBREATH] Tantrums and ranged weapons that use the throwing skill for ranged attacks. But still making some dwarven gernades for my squads that they could throw before combat would be epic "Frag Out!"

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 07:58:29 am »

Just immagine the collateral damage!  :P

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 12:55:30 pm »

What happens if it dies of old age in a cage?
You would probably end up with a live grenade stuck in the cage that went off the moment you took it out of the cage.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.