Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Is it even worth it to have a fortress guard?  (Read 4145 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Is it even worth it to have a fortress guard?
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 07:51:04 pm »

I can attest that, if you already have a full fort-wide tantrum spiral going on the fortress guard is the best way to end it while leaving as many dwarfs not caring about anything anymore.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 12:40:53 am »

Yeah but I'm not sure that butchering 135 of your 150 dwarves (and then killing all 10 of themselves for murder) is really the best way to go about prolonging the lifetime of a fortress... :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 12:42:16 am »

Yeah but I'm not sure that butchering 135 of your 150 dwarves (and then killing all 10 of themselves for murder) is really the best way to go about prolonging the lifetime of a fortress... :P
Which is why you have a jail.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 12:45:23 am »

Which is why you have a jail.
Ok rephrase then: Jailing the first 20 dwarves and then butchering the remaining 115 (followed by themselves) and then allowing most of those 20 to die of dehydration or hunger while your remaining 10 try to clean up all of the dead bodies.

I'm not saying that they don't have their uses, but I find that in most of my cases it's better to just go without a fortress guard entirely rather then deal with all of the potential damage that they can cause.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 09:12:35 am »

Honestly, i don't even keep a military. Cage traps + More cage traps with some draw bridges keep the invaders out. Once you reach 200+ dwarves you can just seal yourself off.
What's the point of having invaders at all then?

Honestly, im not sure. I can't wait for the the cage trap nerfs.  As it stands invading goblins are more of a nuisance then a threat.

you could, ofcourse, decide not to use so many cage traps, you know, voluntairily, for fun
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2012, 12:31:43 pm »

Ok rephrase then: Jailing the first 20 dwarves and then butchering the remaining 115

That's why you have a big jail with stored food and a well in each cell.

He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2012, 12:50:40 pm »

Ok rephrase then: Jailing the first 20 dwarves and then butchering the remaining 115

Time for Cagedspiral: the fortress where there's a jail cell for every dwarf.  Plus a year's food and booze in each cell.  Just in case.

Might want to put the lever controlling the drawbridge to seal off the fort in one of those cells.  Just in case.  Chained dwarves can still pull levers, right?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2012, 01:10:51 pm »

Time for Cagedspiral: the fortress where there's a jail cell for every dwarf.  Plus a year's food and booze in each cell.  Just in case.

Might want to put the lever controlling the drawbridge to seal off the fort in one of those cells.  Just in case.  Chained dwarves can still pull levers, right?
This sounds awesome!

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2012, 01:54:35 pm »

In the name of sexy !!Science!!, I say the chains should be built on the head of the bedroom beds. :P
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...
Pages: 1 [2]