Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Cart Life - A retro retail simulator/interactive novel/time management game  (Read 15729 times)

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile

http://richardhofmeier.com/cartlife/

I didn't find a topic for this, so I've decided to make one. Cart Life bills itself as a retail simulator, but it's really quite a bit more. The best way to find out what this stroke of genius is about would be to download and play it, which can be done for free at the website. If you're playing for the first time, I suggest choosing Andrus Poder, as he has the most straightforward start. Cart Life is made by Richard Hofmeier.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 07:45:18 am by klingon13524 »
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

Is the whole game in black and white? That's unusual.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

There's a lot about this game that seems to be unusual.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile

It is indeed unusual, but in a good way. My question to anyone who knows what they're talking about:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

1piemaster1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oooo was waiting for a topic on this. I saw this on jefmajor's youtube.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wow, this is the best emotional engagment I've had since "Digital: A Love Story."

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile

Same here. Who know the life of a Ukranian news vendor would be in such turmoil?
Hello Hunam

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile

This is an amazing game.  And I actually kind of love the sense of complete and utter urgency it gives, with the absolute lack of ways to pause.

It gets into your head to the point where, after shopping in real life today, I found myself nearly running back into the store. "Damn it, I forgot cat vittles!"

EDIT: The only problem is that it's crashed or become unplayable three times in six days for me.  And when you can't save mid-day, that's pretty god damn bad.  Sometimes it's an inescapable conversation, sometimes it's a scripting error, one time I tried to shelf my newspapers when some was in front of me and it got stuck doing both at once and couldn't get out...yeah.  Needs moar quality control.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 08:45:30 pm by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile

The game's art (not to mention the rest of it) is really, really beautiful in a way that I never thought pixel art could achieve. The dream sequences, in particular, are incredible.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile

Yeah, I have problems with the game getting frozen up when some guy talks to me when I'm fiddling in the menus trying to get a smoke, I have to reload from the damn beginning of the day again just to be able to continue.
Hello Hunam

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: Cart Life - A retro retail simulator/interactive novel/time management game
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 11:21:30 pm »

I gave it a try. First day I did the little tutorial, went and got a hotel room, went went out to buy food, got cat food but the store closed before I could buy food for myself (was trying to figure out what to buy for food, heh). Went back and went to sleep, had a dream I guess.

Next day I fed the cat and went to my stand. All the shops were closed, was unable to figure out what time it was, and my char was starving. Traveled downtown and wandered around a while, it became morning, and I bought a sandwich for 5 bucks from the grocery store when it opened. Returned to my stand. Sold 15 papers to the same 3 or 4 guys (one cop kept coming buy, bought 6 all total - another guy came by 7 times to ask for coffee which I repeatedly told him I didn't have) for 99 cents each, earning a meager 9.85. People stopped coming so I guess it was late. Stopped by the pawn shop and bought a watch for $80, saw it was 8 pm, and went home via the bus. Got back at 9 and the cat was missing. Checked the bed, the dumpster, then saw a lady walking around. Character wouldn't talk to her, I assume because he was too tired. Couldnt sleep or leave the area. Game ending bug. Yay.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 01:51:39 am »

Interesting, can't say I'm a fan of doing fancy quick time stuff per customer though.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 03:00:43 am »

Same here. Who know the life of a Ukranian news vendor would be in such turmoil?
He meant so much to me when I was playing, you're right.

Hofmeier

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • (personal site)
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 07:06:03 am »

Thanks, klingon, for sharing this thing here. While developing Cart Life, I joined the many humans who've truly fallen victim to DF's infamous obsession trap. It's been nice to throw a few bucks from my game at Toady and Threetoe, because they create an impossible standard to live up to - it's an endless and deep thing they've made. Besides, who knows what the future holds for Dwarf Fortress? I sure want to know.

Anyway, I spent a few months pursuing a failed attempt at videogames journalism and interviewed both fellas in Seattle last year. I'm thinking of posting the interview (which was really a lot of fun) but first I want to talk Occoris into letting me bookend the dialog with his beautiful piano arrangements of Toady's game music. Now that I've heard it, nothing else will do.

Oh, also:
My question to anyone who knows what they're talking about:

Her name is Alice and her machine shop is in the Collins district. Make sure you stop in before she closes at 7pm.

Also, Megaman, thanks for making note of this bug. I'm trying to isolate it within the scripting, but until the next build it's just safer not to smoke while running the stand. Besides, it's a fire hazard.

Paul: Ugh - that sounds really frustrating. I just witnessed a "let's play" of Cart Life on Youtube where this happened and my jaw dropped. I'm looking into this tonight - hadn't heard about this until now. If you ever feel like it, I'm always really grateful when folks post these troubles on this bugfixery forum. Anyway, I hope you can give it another shot, since you absolutely had the right idea.

Sowelu: Thanks for your notes and you're right about quality control. Seems like it's related to the same crash Megaman is reporting. BTW, Are you using version 1.4? Some of these may have been fixed in the latest build.

Well, anyway sorry for barging into this thread uninvited - thanks again everybody for your thoughts!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 07:18:59 am by Hofmeier »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 07:34:54 am »

Don't worry about barging in. I think at this point, we expect indie creators to drop by the forums when we talk about their games.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4