Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Cart Life - A retro retail simulator/interactive novel/time management game  (Read 15726 times)

Hofmeier

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • (personal site)
Re: Cart Life - A retro retail simulator/interactive novel/time management game
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2012, 08:27:14 am »

Thanks for your notes, y'all. I've been staring at this thread, unblinking, since it was born.

Oh, and Sirocco said I could use his music so I put up that interview.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2012, 08:28:39 am »

Welcome to the boards. If you want feedback, mang, we'll give it to you. We really enjoy it when indie developers come to the threads here about their games.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 08:31:07 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2012, 08:36:46 am »

Hmmmm... Needs something really done about Meliane's budget. It seems odd that it forces you into the Red just starting up, unless you are spos to pawn the Ring or Watch. Haven't actually seen how much they can give. BUT it seems I could avoid all that, buy a metric fuckton of Coffee Beens and shit needed to make Coffee and then get the cart and be in the red with all the materials I need and never have to buy anything for a long time...

Also there needs to be an at home time passer that doesn't revolve you standing there doing nothing, I had her go to bed at around 6 cause she was exhausted and she woke at 1am, Laura was awake at that time and I could even go out and start working at the stand...

The Dream sequence is kinda odd as its not clear on how to advance to the next day...

The next morning I awoke to the sister waking me up, who then started to go down the stairs to the kitchen, her bedroom door magically opening and closing as if she was just leaving it, then she suddenly did a loop by going through the ground from the kitchen to the top of the stairs in fastforward...

The alarm needs to be a little bit more earlier then it is for Taking and Picking up her daughter to/from school, I tried to race back home by foot from the stand cause I was up early early and seemed to get back home at 9am, despite leaving not too long after the alarm went off...

EDIT::

Looking at the character screen when reloading or wanting to restart from scratch doesn't show the challenge and stuff like it did before you started their story. More so, I don't believe the choice of Restarting from the Beginning plays that little intro story that appears when you see those three doors to begin the game for real. There is no way to clear the data to restart and I am not even sure what files in the folder can be removed to do that manually. Currently "reinstalling" my copy...

ALSO::

Why is that I "Unlock new Music" from just loading the game EVERY SINGLE TIME!!! Why doesn't it stay unlocked??? WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN!?!?!?!

MOUSE MOVEMENT SPEED!!!!! BLAGH!!! /rage

The computer in the House.... Its asking for a password yet brings up a Monetary window... If incorrect it shows the incorrect password window then an Insufficient funds window and then remains up there until you press space bar a few times...
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 08:55:33 am by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2012, 10:09:46 am »

Why is that I "Unlock new Music" from just loading the game EVERY SINGLE TIME!!! Why doesn't it stay unlocked??? WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN!?!?!?!

when you start a new character go to the credits door... think it unlocks for in there.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2012, 11:50:51 am »

When will there be more Delux-D editions in stock? You're much better at fixing bugs alive, so we need to give you enough money for gondola bars and whatever you're addicted to.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2012, 04:16:13 pm »

keeps crashing on me.  :(

Also, I can't believe this was made in AGS! I though only Yahtzee made such awesome misuses of that tool.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 05:12:50 pm by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2012, 07:36:41 pm »

Fantastic game. One of the few I've played in a while where I actually cared about the characters. I really enjoyed seeing some of the regulars show up to the stand - even the annoying ones. Like many other people, I encountered a bunch of bugs.

Some, off the top of my head (Andrus only)

1) Buying sandwiches at grocery - if you click buy several times quickly, you'll be charged for each click and only receive one sandwich. I ended up spending $25 on one bigwich.

2) In the shop - had the menu up (space menu), customer came. Correctly identified what the customer was buying, but could not enter right change. Even when the correct change was displayed ($17.88) and entered, still said it was wrong. Failed that sale.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2012, 07:44:13 pm »

I'm getting pretyy good with andrus, bought the coffee machine to make Dick SHUT THE FUCK UP about it (he came by 7 times  in one day asking for coffee!), and then I forgot cups. Looks like He'll be at the stand for the next 16 hours then.

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2012, 09:02:23 pm »

Is there any hand-held food beyond gondola bars? I bought penut butter and hotdog buns but apparently I can't just dunk the buns in the penut butter.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2012, 09:04:11 pm »

You can eat hotdogs at anytime, as with anything you sell at the stand.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2012, 09:23:05 pm »

Could someone recommend a good hand-held food that isn't the bars? I keep thinking I'm going to kill myself eating nothing but those (so I keep going for salads).  Thing is, I'm always hungry in the morning (naturally) so my daily schedule is pretty much "eat two bars, run an errand, go down to the U-district, grab a salad, open the stand, eat a bar before bed".  It'd be nice if I could eat cereal or something, maybe there's obvious stuff I've missed (I would try hot dogs, but I never upgraded that part of my cart).
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2012, 09:52:18 pm »

For Melanie I have no idea, because Andrus will eat them raw out of the stand and you can access his sale stuff at any time to eat. I was half way across town and I drank six cups of coffee... without using cups.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2012, 09:53:52 pm »

When you're a horizontally mobile cart person on the go....just brew it straight in yo mouth.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2012, 10:23:11 pm »

Oh yeah, for anyone curious. I ran this game using Linux and WINE. Have to use Direct Draw graphics mode and any sound which works (Not directsound).

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2012, 03:00:47 am »

If you're Vinny, plain bagels should be your food of choice. Your going to have a surplus of them that will eventually go stale, and they're pretty cheap to make. What do you mean you haven't supported Mr. Hofmeier yet, reader?

Edit: gamebreaking bug found. I'm Vinny, selling bagels and avoiding the cops, and Jessi asks for diet soda, which I do not have. Vinny says "sure", and it goes to the screen you get when you commence a sale. But you can't interact with it, and the game goes on in the background, completely obscured by the ribbon in the middle of the screen. It goes on until I get another customer, and then it crashed. I'll see if I can't try to reproduce it and actually copy the error message.

Edit: hilarious bug found. As Vinny, I went over to Andrus's newspaper stand and immediately realized I was too hungry to chat, so I exited. The code apparently thought he was me, and his (immobile newspaper) stand jumped up and slid to the edge on the screen, Andrus in it. I checked the next day, and the stand wasn't there. I'm probably going to check 13th street for him once my rent is due.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 10:04:11 am by klingon13524 »
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4