Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Cart Life - A retro retail simulator/interactive novel/time management game  (Read 15727 times)

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
Re: Cart Life - A retro retail simulator/interactive novel/time management game
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 07:46:41 am »

I respect you for "barging in", if anything. Most developers would simply ignore a small group of gamers like Bay12.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2012, 08:07:36 am »

First heard of this game from Jefmajor's let's play of it, looks cool though haven't played it myself yet.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 08:07:59 am »

Addicted to the tunes btw...

Anyway, I played this for a fair while until I came to a bug that would crash it all the time...

First thing you do if you are the russian guy: Buy some cups, tea, drinks and therelike in the big shop in the top left. You need to do that like, once and you are good to go for the whole week or more. Try to always use the bus, invest in a watch maybe...

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 08:23:18 am »

Sometimes walking can be faster than the bus, because of waiting at the stop for it to arrive. This is the exception, not the rule however.
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2012, 12:30:57 pm »

How do I eat?

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2012, 12:57:23 pm »

Certainly an interesting game. I think I may restart - I was just sort of floundering around for the first couple days. Maybe see if I can get away with not selling newspapers at the newspaper stand (damn things take too much work (ie, me having to physically type shit) to stock.)

I must say, I grew to hate one of my 'customers'. Every day he would walk up to my stand, order a coffee... "wait? You want $2.50 for a coffee? That's too much!"

It's been $2.50 ever since I put in a coffee machine, dipshit. It's not changing. If you don't like it, don't buy it; but stop complaining to me about it.

How do I eat?

Buy food at one of the stores. Open up your inventory, pull up the food item, select 'eat'.

Edit: Just while I'm thinking about it - who tips for a newspaper? I mean, I know that it's the game's way of rewarding you for typing and doing math quickly, but I got a $4 tip on a $1.50 newspaper. First off, that's a 300% tip, which is nuts, but that's more then a full bill! (where him saying "keep the change" might make sense) - someone actually had to get $5.50 out of their wallet to give me that tip.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 01:15:00 pm by AlStar »

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2012, 01:21:41 pm »

the "ending" is kind of abrupt... felt like there was sooo much else to do still :D
but i guess thats the point in the abrupt ending, a little view in their lifes.
maybe going through a character could unlock some type of "endless" mode for that char?

regarding bugs:
well there were a few crashes, had to restart some day 4 times to get through it once.
maybe the "space menu between customers-> they talk to you in the space menu" could be adjusted to not to talk to you in the space menu? probably because time still ticks in that menu they start talking to you. still ok like this.. but a bit weird when you try to eat something between sales or so.

overall definately quite a nice game.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 01:26:49 pm by Nelia Hawk »

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2012, 02:33:36 pm »

It's an incredibly endearing game, although it's extremely hard to keep up with everything. I ran into a moment on the first day of selling coffee where I stepped out of the stand during a break in customers and saw it was 4PM and went "Shit, I have to pick up Laura, I told her I'd be there." I didn't have the cash for a taxi though, so I had to take the bus, but I was too late (incidentally I've noticed it actually seems to be faster to walk places than taking the bus).

It'd be really nice if it could pause in some of the menus, I kinda like the frantic feel of the game, but sometimes the game really feels too frantic, every single thing has to be done in a huge panicky rush. Actually, having some kind of pause at all would be nice, I had to stop playing midway through a day and bring my dogs in IRL, and there didn't seem to be any way to pause the game, unless I missed it.

I was also a little irritated that the slider for setting prices couldn't be set to $1.00 since it moves 2 cents at a time, so it was always $0.99 or $1.01. I wanted one dollar for easy change calculations (also it's a pet peeve of mine that stores like to set their prices to x.99 to seem cheaper).

I also encountered that crash when going to sleep.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2012, 02:58:53 pm »

Seriously, fuck hot dogs. I can't ever bring them home, and now I'm going to have to eat cat food or some shit.

EDIT: Bwaah! Nightmares make you sleep in until 11:00 a.m.! And which store sells food I can just keep at home and eat that ISN'T ghost processed meat logs?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 03:52:09 pm by blackmagechill »

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2012, 03:49:53 pm »

This is a beautiful game and I love it very much.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2012, 04:03:39 pm »

I was also a little irritated that the slider for setting prices couldn't be set to $1.00 since it moves 2 cents at a time, so it was always $0.99 or $1.01. I wanted one dollar for easy change calculations (also it's a pet peeve of mine that stores like to set their prices to x.99 to seem cheaper).

This also irritates me quite a bit.
And it would be nice if you could set the prices to such.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 04:06:28 pm by Ultimuh »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2012, 04:27:01 pm »

Yes, I'm running Version 1.4.

Nice to see you dropping by our humble thread!

I can repro the guy who couldn't talk to the motel owner's wife about his cat...kind of.  She wouldn't talk to me the first several times I tried.  I'm not sure if this was hit detection, or if she just isn't talk-to-able for a period of time (though it's certainly irritating when she wanders over to the stairs and I walk up and down them instead of talking to her), but it did make me think that she was just background scenery for a while.

Wait, I forget, were you supposed to walk off the screen in both directions instead?  In any case it was confusing.  I do remember trying to talk to her repeatedly and not being able to.

Smaller gripe:
- Dude. I am in this menu to eat food. When I am standing in a pizza shop, looking at the menu, please don't spend fifteen minutes staring at your stomach and wondering what you are going to be eating of today before forgetting that you were in a menu in the first place.

...There's an annoying coffee guy too?  I've come to despise the motel owner.  I price my newspapers at $1.50, and he keeps coming by grousing about newspapers costing more than a dollar.  I tried setting them at $0.99, and he groused at them costing almost a dollar. I gave him one for free and he didn't want it.  Multiple times a day..  I wish I could just say 'Goodbye' at the start of the conversation, like I do with the latte-loving nerd.

And yeah, setting a price to precisely $1.00 and $2.00 was a pain, but I did manage to get $1.50 and $2.00 without too much trouble.  I did keep wondering why people gave me $6.00 for a $1.50 newspaper, though.  Shouldn't they just give me a five, or two dollars?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

ardesh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2012, 06:05:57 pm »

pity that teh site states "windows only"

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2012, 12:05:21 am »

I am wondering, why is it that I can't load the save...
I finish the first day of into with Melissa, it asks me to save, and I can't seem to load that save. Am I being blind???

EDIT:: AND NOW I CAN LOAD IT... Odd...

EDIT 2 :: GAH Why do you start me with NO MONEY!!! (cart took all cash I had) Now I have no coffee or money!!! AND WHY SO SLEEPY SO QUICKLY!!! !!!!!!!! BWAHHH!!!!!
Take 10...... Should I pawn the watch or pawn the ring... :P
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 12:57:58 am by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2012, 02:36:43 am »

This also irritates me quite a bit.
And it would be nice if you could set the prices to such.
That's a known bug, not a design decision. It'll be fixed eventually.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4