Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 33

Author Topic: The Necromatic Arts: The Magical Adventures of Mayard Carter.  (Read 93853 times)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: The Necromatic Arts: This time it's for real.
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2012, 02:50:59 pm »

Can we control the spirits personality, beliefs, etc.?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2012, 03:02:42 pm »

Good question. We should make an effort to ensure that the created spirit is obedient and loyal.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2012, 03:26:02 pm »

Yes, and also kind, cheerful, and determined.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2012, 03:27:35 pm »

So kind of like a skeletal butler.

Evil Lincoln

• Bay Watcher
  • Is non-inflammable
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2012, 04:54:22 pm »

Alright this needs to be cleared up.

Summoning: You do some satanic ritutals (a blood sacrifice is probabley required) and pull a spirit from the spirit world onto the mortal plane. The strength of the spirit is more or less random but it is more skewed towards stronger rather then weaker. To do this you do not need to use any spiritual energy from hearts and it's attributes aren't controlled by you.

Creating: You use the power from a heart(s) to create a new spiritual entity. You define it's attributes and the basic aspects of it's personality. This is usualy a lot safer since you know what the thing is going to be like and there isn't a chance you'll summon a demon who is bent on destroying all life(including you).

I'll give you some control but it won't be absolute. You'll probabley be able to pick about 2 - 3 key words and it's personality will be based around those.

I'll update tonight.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 04:55:56 pm by Evil Lincoln »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2012, 04:57:43 pm »

I'll give you some control but it won't be absolute. You'll probabley be able to pick about 2 - 3 key words and it's personality will be based around those.
In that case I'd say we go with: Obedient, Loyal, Determined

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2012, 09:23:50 pm »

+1
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2012, 09:51:45 pm »

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2012, 11:22:52 pm »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

obolisk0430

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2012, 11:42:40 pm »

Let this be a lesson to us all: Immortality is only temporary. That's why its called immortality.

Evil Lincoln

• Bay Watcher
  • Is non-inflammable
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2012, 07:11:10 am »

Turn 4: Explain your way out of this one.

Panel 1:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You head to your parents house to drop off the firewood and eat some dinner. You are in the outskirts of the village at the moment, the road heading to the east goes into the village center while the road to the west goes over the mountains. Your families home and the Gerbson home are located in this area. Apart from the houses there is a lot of long grass around and patches of corn here and there. Your family grows the corn in patches like this to avoid taxes. Since the village came under the juristiction of Turst (the large city south of here) a few years ago there has been a tax on owning a farm, so you just plant patches here and there so you can get away with saying that it grows naturaly. No one believes it of course but the mayor doesn't want you to starve so he lets it slide.

Panel 2:
Your Father, Mother and two younger brothers are here. You have two older siblings but they left when they were your age, the eldest is your brother Doglarn who went off to join the military. The last letter you recieved from him was a month ago when he was suppressing the goblin tribes to the west. The second oldest is your sister Urn who went to Turst to try and get an education, you haven't heard from her since she left last year.

Oh no, your father has that 'where the hell were you' look in his eyes.

"Why did you take so long, boy?"

Well, you had better think of something or suspicion might be raised.

Author Notes:
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 07:24:51 am by Evil Lincoln »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2012, 07:22:04 am »

Say that you were trying to find a job, to help the family.  When asked what job it was, say tax reviewer. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2012, 01:23:09 pm »

This a) is wasted, because they basically mean the same thing, and there is no reason to think that'll make the properly stronger, and b) it doesn't specify WHO it's loyal and obedient to! I propose instead: Friendly, Disciplined, Subservient, which should yield a spirit that will serve us and not pose a danger because it's like that towards EVERYONE, and as a bonus is really nice to talk to, AND break the stereotype of undead being unpleasant, which has storytelling advantages. Yea, it'll be less useful as a soldier, but this is the very FIRST spirit we're creating, better play it safe, baby steps, etc.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2012, 01:32:46 pm »

Obedience and Loyalty are entirely different concepts.

Your suggestion has the same issue you pointed out in mine, it doesn't specify who it would be subservient to. Since we are crafting the thing we'd obviously make it loyal to us, though. I wasn't intending it as a soldier really, as I said more of an undead butler.

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2012, 01:50:03 pm »

Obviosly we need a romantic spirit! Come on guys, roleplay a bit! We are a emotional, illogical and you are creating the coldest spririt possible. Lets spread some luuve! And, oh, its fun.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 33