Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 33

Author Topic: The Necromatic Arts: The Magical Adventures of Mayard Carter.  (Read 93699 times)

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
Re: The Necromatic Arts: The Magical Adventures of Mayard Carter.
« Reply #390 on: June 04, 2012, 11:31:53 am »

See if you can identify that green thing out front, and if we can't ask someone nearby. Make sure to stay away from it, since it looks real mean.

Skeletons engage ONLY if all seems lost. We don't want people panicking over undead roaming around the place after this. Also, ignore Anne's comment, she could just be talking about something entirely different.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: June 04, 2012, 08:58:41 pm »

Also. Anne knows. We should tell her we know she knows, and thank her for not telling everyone.
We should try our best to keep ourselves and dad alive.
Best not to jump to conclusions, her faculties may not be precise. Also, necromancers freak people out too, we should be more considerate of her, she could be a valuable member of our band...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: June 04, 2012, 09:19:07 pm »

Captain Davis: Continue being awesome

Koliup

• Bay Watcher
  • Vae Victus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: June 05, 2012, 12:23:11 am »

Best not to jump to conclusions, her faculties may not be precise. Also, necromancers freak people out too, we should be more considerate of her, she could be a valuable member of our band...
She may be insane, or a seer of some sort. Either way, we may as well thank her for the compliment. My logic is thus: If she knows, she's clearly not going to tell unless we go evil, after all she's probably known for at least a couple hours; enough to assemble a mob and get us investigated. But has not.
If she's nuts, then we feed her delusion a little, but no one comes to harm.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: June 05, 2012, 10:57:22 am »

This is awesome. I vote for continue letting skellies having a little freedom, while keeping a margin for restraining in case of need. I prefer "friends" or "comrades" rather than mindless slaves.

As a goal in life I'd want Mayard to change the image of necromants.

But for now, battle!

Were I Mayard, I'd prefer revealing skeletons early rather than risk evitable deaths.
Make Edgar firing from cover. Shelby will charge when opportunity arise. They will retreat instantly when things go less than perfect, then come back and fire. Be careful not to touch allies. When combat ended or nearly ended, flee and return to the shack by night.

Mayard himself will stay in the back, trying not to be killed, protecting the back of someone and commanding skeletons.

Also ask Olof (through Edgar) what the hell is this green thing and if he can help in any way.
Maybe even if it's suitable for possession or whatever.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Evil Lincoln

• Bay Watcher
  • Is non-inflammable
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: June 08, 2012, 06:33:20 am »

Turn 40: The update that never ends

Mayard: "What is that thing?"
Olof: "Looks like a Golem to me."
Captain Davis: "It looks like a Golem, leave it to me."
Mayard(Mind): "Edgar, the grouges have a golem on their side. We'll probabley need help."

Mystery Golem: "Return the shield and helm to us or we will attack."
Captain Davis: "We don't have the shield or the helm."
Mystery Golem: "... Charge!"

Panels 1:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Everyone moves forward a bit to avoid being trapped between the grouges and a wall and raises their shields as the grouges charge.

Panels 2:
As soon as the grouges reach the Villagers the guard in front of you is cut down. You move forward and block a blow and raise your sword to strike at the grouge.

Panels 3:
Both of your exchange blows, he outmatches you but you manage to block his blows.

Panel 4:
Luckily before he can get the upper hand he is struck down by Davis from behind.

Panel 5:
Your attention returns to the rest of the fight. Things seem to be going well. A few of the villagers have been badly ingured and one of the guards might be dead but the grouges are falling back, some of them are even running. That Golem still hasn't moved though...

Mayard(Mind): "Hurry up Edgar. There might not be a fight by the time you get here."
Edgar(Mind): "We are nearly there, I can see a few of the running."

Panel 6:
Green light spills out of the golem and enters the still water of the lake. The water flows up the bank in a massive block engulfing some of the villagers and a grouge.

Panel 7:
The Golem's concentration is broken by the appearance of Shelby and Edgar and the block of water collapses. The water seeps back into the lake, taking a grouge with it.

Panel 8:
Captain Davis siezes the opportunity and attacks the Golem. Taking one of its arms off with a swing of his mighty hammer. The Golem loses it's colour as what you asume is its soul seeps out of an exposed broken bone.

Edgar manages to set a grouge on fire but Shelby takes a hit from a grouge's spear.

The grouges are on the run and there aren't many of them between your skeletons and the villagers now so you tell Edgar to take Shelby and run for it.

Panel 9:
While Edgar's flames didn't kill the grouge before he could put them out it gave Yargan the chance to crush its skull with his warhammer.

The fight is over, you take the oportunity to look at the Golem. It appears to be made of a hard black rock with sections of glass(which were glowing green while it was 'alive'). You can see a skeleton through the glass but you don't think it could be removed from the stone without damaging it.

Father: "A Golem leading the grouges, and skeletons attacking them from behind. What is that supposed to mean?"

Mayor: "Alright everyone! We need to get the ingured back to the hall. I also need volenteers to get the grouge corpses off of the road and collect the equipment."

Spoiler: Author Notes: (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 06:38:00 am by Evil Lincoln »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: June 08, 2012, 06:47:30 am »

Help gather the bodies.

We could maybe use them for future minions. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Talvara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: June 08, 2012, 06:56:22 am »

indeed having a convenient mass grave that we know the specifics about filled with grouge skeletons would be great for future use.

I think we need to memorise the colour that Golem was sporting, It seems we have rival necromancer. Maybe an old aprentice of Olofs we ought to ask him about it when the time is right?

we should also keep in the back of our minds we might need a cover story for how we got our hands on the pile of cash we used just before the fight.
(maybe we can say we found it in a nook of olof's shed, but that might make people interested in our little home... and suspisious of Olofs past)

edit : (then again, the cash we spent wasn't THAT absurd of an amount, I guess Olof could have hidden it away 'as an apple for a rainy day' sorta thing)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 06:58:05 am by Talvara »

Evil Lincoln

• Bay Watcher
  • Is non-inflammable
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: June 08, 2012, 10:50:44 pm »

Turn 41:

You and Yergen volunteer for corpse duty and move the bodies into the woods.

Panels 1:
Mayard: "Well, are we going to burn them of bury them or..."
Yergen: "I used to know grouges before we came to this village and if I recall correctly grouges bury their dead. I think we should respect their customs."
Mayard: "Alright then, won't we need shovels?"
Yergen: "Yes, I'll head back to the forge and get two. You watch the bodies."
Mayard: "Alright then."

Once Yergen leaves you see if Olof is around.

Mayard:
"Are you here Olof?"
Olof: "Yes i'm here, good job in that fight back there. People could have drowned if your skeletons didn't distract that Golem." (+15 trust)
Mayard: "Thank you... Um, just a thought, do you know how that golem might have belonged to?"
Olof: "No. I think. The rock the Golem is made of looks very simular the rock they mine to the west of Turst, so it could have been made there. Although I don't often pay to much attention to the earth so there are almost certainly other sources."
Mayard: "Oh, yes good idea."

Panels 2:

You absorb the spiritual energy from some of the bodies using the incantations but you run out of objects that you can store it in. The Gemstone in the box would be ideal but Olof doesn't want you to use it incase it affects the possesion. Although you can make crystals out of the energy with your new skills....

« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 11:08:29 pm by Evil Lincoln »

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: June 08, 2012, 11:03:07 pm »

Try prying the glass off of the golem and using that for some storage. After trying that, ask Edgar to try and teach us to use magic.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #400 on: June 09, 2012, 05:24:23 am »

Use the extra spirit energy in the bodies to form a few small crystals so you can store most/all of it.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: June 09, 2012, 06:07:28 am »

If Shelby is nearby, give them that strength augment with some excess energy.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 08:03:14 pm by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Koliup

• Bay Watcher
  • Vae Victus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: June 09, 2012, 01:59:19 pm »

Yeah, we oughta beef up Shelby with the muscles. And figure out how to 'heal' skeletons.
Lets not make any soul energy gems just yet. Answering where the gems came from would be a bit of a suspicious pain. But I think the pots could store em. Heh. Zelda style.
And Lincoln, thanks for pointing out that bit about the incantation.
Also, those grouges are wearing belts. Any stuff stored on/in them?
We oughta ask Olof some things: Can we learn (non-necromancy) magic from Olof(or at all)? And what is the afterlife like? Should we expect to be tortured by demons, and hence do a setup like what Olof did? What is the risk of our skeletons randomly deciding to slay us? Also, if we die, what happens to our skeletons/minions?
And holy crap 61 spirit energy. That's 12 god damn imps. 11 if we give Shelby the 5 point muscle upgrade. Maybe we can use the energy to heal Shelby?

Evil Lincoln

• Bay Watcher
  • Is non-inflammable
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: June 09, 2012, 11:22:11 pm »

Turn 42: Oh dear

Panels 1:
Mayard(Mind): "How close are you Edgar?"
Edgar(Mind): "Er, a bit of a way away. We are almost back at the shack."

Mayard:
"Are you still here Olof?"
Olof: "Yes i'm still here."
Mayard: "I was thinking again, can you teach me magic. Non necromatic magic I mean."
Olof: "No. Of course not. You can't just learn magic Mayard. You have to be lucky enough to be gifted with the ability to use magic. Even then you have to spend years learning to control your mind before you can actually use it to avoid killing yourself. As it is you are lucky to be able to practice necromancy, it is after all an uncommon gift."

You turn the energy into crystal, creating them inside the pots. They don't hold as much as you thought they would so you decide to make some crystal outside the pots to see how big it is.

Panels 2:
Oh dear that was more energy then you meant to use. It forms pretty fast.

Panels 3:

Olof becomes partly visible.
Olof: "I hope you have a plan on how to get rid of this before Yergen gets back."

Alright, that is fairly big mass of crystal, and it's glowing. You don't know if you'll be able to talk your way out of it if you get caught.

EDIT: I added some Olof dialog at the begining.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 11:35:05 pm by Evil Lincoln »

Koliup

• Bay Watcher
  • Vae Victus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: June 10, 2012, 02:37:10 am »

Um. Our items still have the numbers listed. That pile is 17 energy, right? Lets shove it back in the amulet before we get caught.
Or we should think up a damn good excuse.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 33