Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 33

Author Topic: The Necromatic Arts: The Magical Adventures of Mayard Carter.  (Read 93784 times)

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
Re: The Necromatic Arts: The Magical Adventures of Mayard Carter.
« Reply #180 on: March 20, 2012, 08:38:27 am »

Ask Olof why we just can't make a golem body for him.  Then ask him what grouges are.  If he answers satisfactorily, go to the caravan guards and just politely ask questions.  If that doesn't work, we'll figure out something else.   
+2 I guess.
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

Evil Lincoln

• Bay Watcher
  • Is non-inflammable
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 21, 2012, 12:59:22 am »

I've been pretty busy lately so I havn't had time to update. Normaly I would have but since the update involves going to town I have to draw a few buildings and those are a bit of a pain for me. I will update on the weekend though so sit tight.

On another note after next week I will return to Build a Colony for a bit. I may or may not still update necromatic arts during that time. I'm thinking I will but if it gets to be a bit much I'll only do Build a Colony.

Also I get the vibe that Build a colony and build a village were a lot more popular then Necromatic arts. I'm just wondering if it is because of the type of adventure it was, or if i'm just terrible at this sort of style but good at the managment style of adventure. In heindsight this probabley wan't even the best sort of adventure to do since when I started it I diddn't actualy check if there were other Necromancy threads on the forum. If I remember correctly there were three.

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 21, 2012, 04:28:53 am »

Yeah, I feel like Build A Colony was much better.
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 21, 2012, 06:24:23 am »

Meh, BAC got too overcomplicated for my extremely simple taste.  I liked this, more straightforward, but I'd love a Build a Colony again, if it became easier to manage, in any way. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 21, 2012, 11:59:00 am »

YESSS! Build a colony will be back! :D

It's because nobody gives a rats behind about a generic plot heavy RPGlike, but designing bases and clones is fun and engaging.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #185 on: March 23, 2012, 01:34:26 pm »

Yeah, I liked the colony better. The trading, especially, was really good. And the various other colonies were a nice touch. Might need a bit more Fun, though. Maybe have someone start a fight with us? Meh.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Evil Lincoln

• Bay Watcher
  • Is non-inflammable
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 24, 2012, 08:49:44 pm »

Turn 22: Two weeks later but somehow now
Panel 1 - 2:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Mayard: "Why can't I just make you a golem body Olof?"
Olof: "Mayard, I'm not some common spirit. A spirit that is created in a living body can only survive inside a living body. For me trying to inhabit a golem is the same as trying to inhabit a rock. Posession is the only way for me to take on a physical form, well not the only way, but I don't think any god capable of creating a body for me would."

Panel 3:

Mayard: "Okay, I wasn't aware there was more than one kind of soul."
Olof: "That's quite alright Mayard I wouldn't expect you to. Now is that all?"
Mayard: "I just want to know what a Grouge is."
Olof: "You mean you don't know?"
Mayard: "No, I don't think so."
Olof: "Fancy that, at your age and not knowing what a grouge is. There is a section on them in Lands and Beasts. It has some useful information on them but it tends to ramble. I can't remember it to well so it is best if you just read it yourself."

Panel 4:
You get the book out from under the bed.

Grouges:

You read the begining and then skip to how they fight as you don't have time to read about their history. After reading it and looking at the picture you relise you do know what they are, it's just that everyone in the village calls them 'the brown furry people'.

Olof: "It seems this book is a bit out of date. The peace with Tir ended a few years ago when a member of the council made a remark about how they smell."

You should get going now. You tell Shelby to hide in the basment since you don't think the villagers would appreciate him coming with you.

Panel 5:
You walk into town.

Panel 6:
You arrive at the road at the inn.

The paddock is full of grazing snowns.

You see Calline on the second story of the Inn and Jonese checking on his pummages.

Calline: "Good morning Mayard."

Author Notes:
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 08:56:33 pm by Evil Lincoln »

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 24, 2012, 10:10:26 pm »

> Ask About the caravan guards.
BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!
BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!

Evil Lincoln

• Bay Watcher
  • Is non-inflammable
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 25, 2012, 02:51:31 am »

Turn 23:
Panel 1:
You walk closer to the inn so you don't have to talk so loud.

Mayard: "Good morning to you too Calline. Are those caravan guards still in town?"
Calline: "Yes, they havn't left yet, I wouldn't expect them to have. They were up all night swapping stories of the beasts they'd killed and drinking with the hunters."
Mayard: "Can I talk to any of them? I'd like to hear their stories first hand."
Calline: "Most of them are still asleep but one or two are downstairs eating."

Author Notes:
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 02:53:05 am by Evil Lincoln »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 25, 2012, 02:57:58 am »

Thank her, then enter the inn and sidle up to them, greeting and asking them as usual. If they respond offensively, then just state your business as a curious traveler.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 25, 2012, 07:54:04 am »

Thank her, then enter the inn and sidle up to them, greeting and asking them as usual. If they respond offensively, then just state your business as a curious traveler.
solid plan. +1
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 26, 2012, 06:24:47 am »

solid plan. +1

+2
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Evil Lincoln

• Bay Watcher
  • Is non-inflammable
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 01, 2012, 07:23:35 pm »

I updated Build a Colony. I'm mentioning it here because it slipped off the first page and that is a bit disappointing.

Evil Lincoln

• Bay Watcher
  • Is non-inflammable
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 04, 2012, 09:16:02 pm »

Turn 24:
Panel 1:
You enter the inn. There are two other people in the room. A guard who looks like he is a bit older then you, he is wearing a tattered recruit uniform. Gain the barkeep is also here, you hope he'll just keep his mouth shut for once.

Gain: "Good morning Mayard."
Mayard: "Good morning to you too."

You sit down next to the guard.

Mayard: "You're one of the caravan guards aren't you?"
Guard: "Yes I am."
Mayard: "I wasn't here last night and I was hoping to hear the story of that attack."

Gain walks over with a grin on his face.

Gain: "Are you sure you want to hear that story Mayard? I thought you weaving was more your thing? If you want I can go get Calline and you can talk about fabrics together."

Oh god. It's always the same jokes with him. Everytime you come in here he makes fun of you for being born under purple. He says that it isn't 'manly' enough. You give Gain a death stare and then turn back to the young guard.

Guard: "Well it started about yesterday afternoon, we were traveling to this village to stay for the night when some Grouges jumped us. There was only about four of them and eight of us. We killed two of them and the others ran. We thought that would be all since we aren't close to the borders, but we were wrong. A few hours later more of them showed up. About seven I think, we chased them off too but they broke one of the wheels on the wagon. We weren't moving and then we heard some battle cries. Then suddenly there was around twenty of them surrounding us, some of them were pretty big too. We weren't going to last long so Sir Davis, sorry, Captain Davis ordered us to retreat. It is a miracle nobody was killed, but most of us got cut up pretty bad."

Gain: "Things aren't looking to good if that many grouges can get this far into our land without anyone noticing."

Guard: "I agree, I went with the captain to talk to the mayor last night instead of coming here and drinking with the others, it doesn't seem right to be celebrating when this much danger is nearby."

Gain: "What did they talk about, do they think it's serious?"

Guard: "Captain Davis thinks it is very serious, last night was the first night I have seen where he didn't get drunk with the rest of the men and he always drinks with the men. He doesn't want us to leave the village until we know that the grouges have moved on. Your mayor thinks this is serious too. He said he might open the armoury and get everyone to carry weapons with them at all times."

Mayard: "I didn't know the village had an armoury."

Gain: "I've never heard of it either, but whether I have heard of it or not i'm going to go talk to the mayor. If he's giving out weapons and the village is in danger I want to get one as soon as possible."

Guard: "But isn't that your sword on the shelf? surely you don't need two weapons."

Gain: "Well yes it's mine but i'm trying to sell it, don't want to damage the merchandise if I can help it."

Well that was informative, Gain sort of hijacked the conversation but at least you learned a fair bit. You didn't find out where the grouges are now though, you're not sure you even want to know if there are more then twenty of them hanging around out there.

MAYARD

You jump as you hear a loud voice in your head.

Gain and the guard look at you puzzles.

Mayard: "Nothing. It was nothing."

Mayard this is Olof. I think I figured out how to project my thoughts. If you can hear this then I found the tribute wagon, it's in a cave to the north. There are only Three grouges here at the moment. I think you and Shelby could take them if you got them by suprise. I'm heading back to the village to talk to you now.

That was the strangest sensation you have ever felt in your life.

Author Notes:
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 09:28:30 pm by Evil Lincoln »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 05, 2012, 05:09:28 am »

Get back to Shelby, order him nicely to come with you.  Get a stick, or any long blunt object, as a weapon.  Go to cave, have Shelby tank for you, try to kill the grouges.  If things go bad, retreat, preferably with Shelby.  If the grouges are dead, inspect cave. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 33