Poll

Do you like the layout/ideas ?

Yes.
Yes, but too complicated
Undecided, I will post why
No, it is too complicated
No. (please post why)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: How to create an easily understandable Tech Tree: Volume One  (Read 7989 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: How to create an easily understandable Tech Tree: Volume One
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2012, 02:34:53 pm »

I was thinking about upgrading weapons and armor. Using bayonets for ranged weapons, and creating a custom toy called: Armor Plate. Add several armor plates to a breastplate, and you get a plate armor. The problem I have is with materials.

Adding a steel bayonet to a wooden crossbow....

Adding copper armor plates to a steel breastplate...

I just dont know how to set it up. Or which material I keep. Making the wooden crossbow with a steel bayonet to be made out of wood would still mean that it is horrible in close combat.

Would be glad for the help :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Abregado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2012, 03:43:43 pm »

I just dont know how to set it up. Or which material I keep. Making the wooden crossbow with a steel bayonet to be made out of wood would still mean that it is horrible in close combat.

You unfortunately have to use the more advanced metal, otherwise there is no mechanical reason for the player to use this reaction. However it isn't so terrible that you can take a copper armour and "upgrade" it with a steel bar to steel armor, given the reduction in micromanagement for forts who have hit a higher tech level (and the reduced steel cost).

I would point out that if you go ahead with this youll end up with SOOO MANY REACTIONS, so maybe best to only allow the main components (platemail torso, sword, shield, ect)

We were looking at a reaction where you can collect all the used bullets from the map, add a bar of lead and it creates a new stack. Similar to refilling the bullets/reworking them.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2012, 07:03:03 pm »

Well, taking ITEM:ITEM_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:NONE for armor and weapons should only cause one reaction for each, thats not too much.

If I use any material item, upgrade with steel upgrade-item (armor plates, lamellars, bayonets, whatever) then I'd produce full steel items with one item and any goblinite I can find. Copper Goblin breastplate + steel armor plate = Steel platemail does not seem right. But I cant find another way, except making 500 reactions for every item*every metal, which would be madness. And not a good madness.

Narhiril, you seem to have something similar, any help ? I'll download your mod and go through the raws, see what you came up with. :)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2012, 06:10:28 pm »

Well, taking ITEM:ITEM_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:NONE for armor and weapons should only cause one reaction for each, thats not too much.

If I use any material item, upgrade with steel upgrade-item (armor plates, lamellars, bayonets, whatever) then I'd produce full steel items with one item and any goblinite I can find. Copper Goblin breastplate + steel armor plate = Steel platemail does not seem right. But I cant find another way, except making 500 reactions for every item*every metal, which would be madness. And not a good madness.

Narhiril, you seem to have something similar, any help ? I'll download your mod and go through the raws, see what you came up with. :)

The weapon upgrades work in one of two ways...

1) If a bayonet is being attached, the new weapon takes the material of the bayonet used.  This requires one reaction per metal if you want to be able to choose what bayonets you use.  It encourages the player to make cheap (bone or wooden) crossbows and then attach bayonets to them, which is still a lot more work and expense than simply making them right away, and it allows you to stagger the upgrades.  You are of course, welcome to take a look at my raws if you're looking for any ideas - the file you want is reaction_tech_t3.txt.

2) Upgrades other than bayonets work by preserving the material and simply producing a different type of weapon using the base weapon, blueprint, and any upgrade materials.  For example, the "spring-loaded bayonet crossbow" differs from the "mechanized bayonet crossbow" only in the power of its bayonet attack.

I have not really dealt with upgrading armor yet, though shields would be very easy to make upgrades for (simply doing different variants with higher block rates).  LFR has a few pieces of "reactive armor" which can only be made by an amalgamation of materials put together, which feature better coverage than normal armor (and some pretty nice physical properties) at the expense of being very heavy. 

If I were going to upgrade armor (and I might, at some point) by adding things like extra metal plating, I would define a bunch of new armor items and play around with the layering.  There is an easter egg item in one of the LFR reactions which can produce a (metal) "runic cloak," which is simply a metal copy of a cloak except with an [ARMORLEVEL] token on it, and it can be worn over armor for extra protection.

For example, instead of using copper to upgrade a steel chest piece, just allow the player to unlock the ability to make an armor piece called "additional copper plating" which can then be worn OVER the original chest piece.  If you do that, you can get multi-layered, multi-material armor going, which is the only way I can think of offhand to do something like that.  You obviously can't make the "additional (metal) plating" require the original item to be equipped, which would be ideal, but this is the best I can do at the moment.

Also worth noting - you can't ever create working gloves from a custom reaction because the game does not assign them the "left" or "right" attribute (unless this has been fixed, which it hasn't, to my knowledge).

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2012, 08:40:22 pm »

Thanks for the answer, I did look through your raws. I like the random exotic weapons and the research fail_stones quite a lot :)

I made several custom gloves, they have no right or left, but the seemed to get equiped. Maybe only one glove though... so you say real custom gloves are impossible ? What about boots ?

I also made the weapon and armor upgrades. The weapon upgrades just take a weapon of a certain mat, and produce a different, better version, with the same mat. I have only one upgrade level, with a low chance (2%) for an epic weapon (which would be lvl3)

The armor upgrades use an armor of a certain mat, and armor plates (custom toys) and assemble a plate armor. (ignoring the armor plate material, taking the one from the orig armor instead)

I also made bayonets to attach to the crossows/javelines, using the weapon material (instead of the bayonet material as you proposed) I might change though, needs more testing. I guess making a wooden crossbow and wasting a candy bayonet on it is no fun...

And layerd armor is a part of the mod since the very beginning. You can make padded armor out of leather that can be worn underneath metal armor, and you can create metal clothing (robes and such) that can be worn over the armor. But I will think about different shields now. Blockrate 100 would automatically block everything ?

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2012, 10:50:16 pm »

I do not think blockrate: 100 blocks everything unless a skilled dwarf is using the shield, so it may work for like a 1% chance epic item i geuss.
Pages: 1 2 [3]