Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: *gulp* Accidently embarked on a dragon cave.  (Read 9882 times)

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
*gulp* Accidently embarked on a dragon cave.
« on: February 04, 2012, 09:10:24 pm »

And it's a two for one deal.  Two dragons, not one.

World gen ran for some 4k years, so these dragons have been fully grown for thousands of years.

I'm going to try to floor it over, and if that doesn't work my dwarves are dead anyways.

Or, I could catch them in a cage trap.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

clockout1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: *gulp* Accidently embarked on a dragon cave.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 10:02:20 pm »

What're the odds...

Please inform us of the charred results.
*insert witty signature here*

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 10:12:33 pm »

This... is awesome! Build glass walls around the cave, a dining room around the walls, then use the dragons to dispose of goblins and provide amusement for the dwarves. Or catch the dragons, turn the cave into a royal bedroom for someone important and put the caged dragons in the center. Or if the dragons are of different species, start a dragon farm!
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 10:51:27 pm »

I am jelly
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

funymunky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 11:31:56 pm »

Holy cow, you actually managed to sit through 4000 years of world gen?

Seriously though, that's pretty neat. I'm sure there's some way that you could utilize them against a goblin siege.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 11:36:01 pm »

sit through 4000 years of world gen?

4000 years

wut.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 11:56:58 pm »

Edited parameters or the raws?

Catch them in a cage trap, they will not attack until anyone enters their line of sight. This means entering the cave, be free to cover the top with a locked hatch. It won't break.

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 12:10:05 am »

Are you sure that they're both dragons? The top one appears to be a demon tile. If that's so those things can't be caught in a cage, although you could wall over the cave without fear (as long as neither see you).

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 12:11:14 am »

Bla bla bla 4000 years of world gen bla bla bla

You sir, are a god. I shall now pray to the name of Vehudur for the most holy of patience.

EDIT: Would you mind uploading the save? I'd love to pick through legends mode for all the WTFery that a 4000 year old world is bound to cause. I also have a few ideas for those dragons.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 12:17:11 am by Azated »
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 12:14:44 am »

I'm guessing s/he went off to get dinner while the world gen ran. That's what I'd do.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 12:23:50 am »

Umm. Sorry to say this, but you will be JUST fine as long you keep yourself away from the cave. And sorry because its boring alternative.

Only monsters that live in cave that are problem on the embark are demons(and titans since they tend to live in shrines which is basically does not prevent them from seeing you) as they tend to live outside their caves. Monsters in embark caves never usually leave their cave unless something comes near/inside it =P I know that from embarking on labyrinth and trying to kill minotaur. It never left labyrinth before I came there.(also, they are trap immune on their own embark sites -_-; I tried to capture minotaur in cage trap, it didn't work) I got bored after two years and then tried to kill it. Not good idea, minotaurs are hardcore with mauls  :P I've heard from Dwarf Wiki that they are easy when they attack your fortress, but I guess thats because they come without a maul, if they have a weapon they crush everything.

On positive side, they are also kill all stupid goblins who wander into the cave for some reason :D And after monster has killed all of them it just return back to its original spot in the cave. So thats one more reason to not wall of the cavern entrance.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 12:31:10 am by MaskedMiner »

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 01:28:24 am »

On positive side, they are also kill all stupid goblins who wander into the cave for some reason :D And after monster has killed all of them it just return back to its original spot in the cave. So thats one more reason to not wall of the cavern entrance.
Dig the bridge-blocked passage from that cave and then route the invasions through it. 8)
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 01:39:02 am »

Seriously though, that's pretty neat. I'm sure there's some way that you could utilize them against a goblin siege.

No, I did a short "test" run that I canceled early to make sure the parameters worked and then set the world genning before I left for work the next morning.  It had finished by the time I was home.

Are you sure that they're both dragons? The top one appears to be a demon tile. If that's so those things can't be caught in a cage, although you could wall over the cave without fear (as long as neither see you).
There's one under the cursor (as displayed by the name on the menu to the right) and one to the left of that.  The red horned thing.   The demon is dead.  The named demon with a kill list of like 150 (I checked legends) got killed by these dragons.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2012, 01:41:21 am »

Dig the bridge-blocked passage from that cave and then route the invasions through it. 8)

I didn't even build anything and all invasions that spawned from direction where cave was in went there immediately xD I have no clue why, but it was hilarious.

But yeah, don't try to cage trap them, they are immune to it on their site. Just build your fortress entrance far from the cave and don't have dwarfs go near it.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2012, 01:42:12 am »

There's one under the cursor (as displayed by the name on the menu to the right) and one to the left of that.  The red horned thing.   The demon is dead.  The named demon with a kill list of like 150 (I checked legends) got killed by these dragons.

Capturing them is now a priority.

Well, this may be a modded DF, but the very mention of those & will spoil some new readers here. Get those dragons! They will not attack unless anyone gets into Line of Sight.

Edit: Cage traps work on them IF they manage to be stunned while on the same place as the trap. Made by either cave-in dust pushing or GCS web trap.
Pages: [1] 2 3