Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: *gulp* Accidently embarked on a dragon cave.  (Read 9883 times)

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: *gulp* Accidently embarked on a dragon cave.
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2012, 01:43:14 am »

Are you sure that they're both dragons? The top one appears to be a demon tile. If that's so those things can't be caught in a cage, although you could wall over the cave without fear (as long as neither see you).
There's one under the cursor (as displayed by the name on the menu to the right) and one to the left of that.  The red horned thing.   The demon is dead.  The named demon with a kill list of like 150 (I checked legends) got killed by these dragons.

Capturing them is now a priority.

Well, this may be a modded DF, but the very mention of those & will spoil some new readers here. Get those dragons! They will not attack unless anyone gets into Line of Sight.

Dang it, does nobody listen me that beasts on their own cave sites are trap immune, unless you mod them so that they stop being trap immune.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2012, 01:45:00 am »

Are you sure that they're both dragons? The top one appears to be a demon tile. If that's so those things can't be caught in a cage, although you could wall over the cave without fear (as long as neither see you).
There's one under the cursor (as displayed by the name on the menu to the right) and one to the left of that.  The red horned thing.   The demon is dead.  The named demon with a kill list of like 150 (I checked legends) got killed by these dragons.

Well, this may be a modded DF, but the very mention of those & will spoil some new readers here. Get those dragons! They will not attack unless anyone gets into Line of Sight.

Dang it, does nobody listen me that beasts on their own cave sites are trap immune, unless you mod them so that they stop being trap immune.

I figured this may be the case.

I'd use the GCS web + cage trap trick.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2012, 01:45:49 am »

I figured this may be the case.

I'd use the GCS web + cage trap trick.

Oh yeah, forgot that one...

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2012, 01:46:05 am »

I edited the fact before those two posts came up. Oops.

And ninja'd again...

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2012, 02:16:29 am »

So are they of different genders? Or do you have to wait for a third dragon to appear? :P

Two words: Dragon farm.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2012, 02:31:33 am »

I once embarked on a site that was FULL of rocs.(something like ten of them) Turns out that putting mega beast number highest isn't a good idea since they don't live in caves apparently.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2012, 03:02:51 am »

They should be utterly immune to cage traps as the original residents of the lair--somehow even cageable things cannot be caged if its their home. Isolate the cave and dump prisoners in.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2012, 03:14:35 am »

!!FUN!!

Gotta love how some people's first repsonse is to weaponize these.  Can't say I blame them.  Shame the dungeon master isn't working.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2012, 06:16:14 am »

Breed wild dragons. Tame dragons are for wimps who want controlled destruction.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2012, 07:02:25 am »

I wonder how big a 4000 year old dragon is? Can it kick stuff for miles like a BC?

!!SCIENCE!! is needed!
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2012, 07:27:06 am »

One time I embarked on the lair of some Night Creature, like a Hollow Man or similiar. It was seriously awesome, like Grendel or something, occasionally with no warning it would just wander out, kill a couple of dwarves as they worked and sprint back to its lair before I could do anything. :o
The fort died as my dwarves desperately tried to barricade the cave mouth...

Edit: Oh wow, just had an amazing idea! :D If you had two giant megabeasts, like BCs or giant dragons or similiar, couldn't you build a sort of soccer/football field? You split it in half by an impassable chasm, release one creature on each side and drop captives in there. On either side of the field, behind each beast's lair, is a goal... I think y'all see where this is going. :D Possible?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 07:29:38 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2012, 10:51:03 am »

-snip-
If you somehow chained two BC on either side of the field, and have the exit lead to 'salvation', then this could very well be a game of goblins and bronze collosi.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

nukularpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2012, 11:41:01 am »

Any chance you would upload that original save/region?  ^ ^

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2012, 01:06:08 pm »

to all those saying 'wow, 4000 years!'
I gen pocket worlds with a 10000 (maximum) world history. pocket world+cull unimportant historical figures...

Here's the part where I tell you that it's 128x128.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2012, 02:10:18 pm »

No no, no capture! No touch! Here's what to do: create legendary dragon mountain. Build your fortress for dragon livability.

First, get them a hoard. Route your fortress entrance through their lair, so merchants will go in there and Smaug and Smaugette can sleep on their smoldering remains and gems. Hopefully, this triggers an invasion by someone, so they can try their mettle against the dragons. Have a backdoor entrance, so you can breach the caverns elsewhere on the map (you can also do it under your fortress, just keep it walled up) so forgotten beasts will come say hello to the dragons. Since dragons can be trained, they can learn skills, right? Hopefully someone will also bring some dragon-wearable armor at some point. Meanwhile, you concentrate on making immense wealth to bring in titans and soap makers to try their luck. If you think the dragons need extra space and statues, you can expand their lair like you would a magma well, suicide style.

Then, when you're convinced they're sufficiently legendary, breach the HFS at your secondary site and have the dragons try their luck against the clowns. They'll probably die to some extra-dusty clown, but if not, abandon site and now you can play Dragon Mountain with adventurers.

Bonus 1: World has entered the Age of Smaug and Smaugette
Bonus 2: Horde of armored dragons with legendary biting skills (if this can happen)
Bonus 3: If you meet one of them you lose instantly due to their kill list crashing Dwarf Fortress
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.
Pages: 1 [2] 3