Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Sun Sign (A roleplaying game)  (Read 10794 times)

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sun Sign (A roleplaying game)
« on: February 04, 2012, 07:54:14 pm »

A woman lies upon a bed, and several people bustle and buzz around her like bees around a hive. She cries out in pain, and a robed man stoops over her. A flickering blue light spirals away from his hand and into the bedridden woman's forehead. Her cry stops, but her face remains strained and fraught with a smothering pain. A young girl rushes in holding a wet cloth, which is then lain above the woman's eyes. The soon-to-be-mother cries out once more, but wrests control over herself and takes several deep breathes.

The woman screams in pain again, yet again charged with strain. The people surrounding her whisper to her, urge her on, and do what they can to help her pain. The pattern continues for many more minutes: wail, push, urge, relax, pain. And then, in an event that shatters the seemingly crystalline situation, a different sound rings throughout the air: the shriek of a young-very young-child. The woman sinks into her pillows and takes a deep shuddering sigh of relief. The people share glances of contentment and happiness, glad that the fragile scene had finally ended.

The robed man straightens his back, holding the small baby that he quickly wraps in cloth. Examining the baby carefully, the man grasps its hand and turns it over. His face, previously so complacent, undergoes a sudden transformation; the eyes grow wide and the mouth opens slightly, as if to say something, before stopping. The concerned mother stares worriedly at the man, and he silently gives the bundle to her. She mimics the man's action, grasping the babies hand and turning it over. What she sees there defies all expectations she previously had, all she could have.

For there, centered squarely on the babies palm, is a peculiar insignia: a radiant sun linked in perfect harmony with a crescent moon.
---

SO, YEP. This roleplaying/action/adventure story will be set in a steampunk/fantasy world with the usual cool steampunk stuff and magic. The magic can pretty much do anything (of course if there is the required energy/etc.), since in this particular story it will basically be... the alphabet of the universe (except this alphabet has millions upon millions of runes/symbols, with more constantly being discovered.) Some runes are rarer than others, some you have to discover, some take more energy than others, etc. It is also worth noting that many 'new' runes will be combinations of old ones.

The technology is also limitless, although it is initially steampunk/clockwerk (Although clockwerk can still be very extensive. It isn't as pure sandbox as the magic is, but it's still there.) Like runes, more technological advancements are constantly being discovered, and the new ones are usually adopted and utilized much faster than new runes are. The player-characters, can, of course, discover new runes/technology. Lost technology, runes, etcetera. There will be world events happening out of their jurisdiction, too. Anyways, let's get onto the history/character sheet, shall we, non-existent audience at the time of writing this?
---
History will be somewhat brief. I would like the characters to find lore for themselves, and I will attempt to provide as many opportunities as I can to do so.
Spoiler: History (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)

I will accept 4 players at once, although some can die and be replaced. Keep in mind that your starting position doesn't really lock you to a certain path, it just starts you along one. Also keep in mind that each character has a Sun Sign, and that there are special powers and abilities associated with the Sun Sign that the players must discover. There will be much to discover, much going on, and hopefully much story. This will, also hopefully, be very sandboxy, so feel free to try to invent stuff, discover stuff, kill stuff, do stuff, etc. stuff. Stuff. Yeah.

I should also probably make a map sometime soon, but we'll burn that bridge when we come to it.
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

terkiey

• Bay Watcher
  • chicken what i need
    • View Profile
Re: Sun Sign (A roleplaying game)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 08:21:04 pm »

Name: Terkiey
Skills: Healing Magic, Staffs, Wands and Runes
Astral sigil: Dolphin
Starting Race: Elf of Bortomire
Quote from: Meistermoxx
Quote from: Knigel
Does anything bad happen if you accuse someone of being a night creature and they aren't?
Yes, they call you a rasict, and then they shot you and take your cocaine.
[(√[1]/∞)+3!+|Chicken|] / [100^(1/2)]

Coolnesstod

• Bay Watcher
  • Drink, Work, Repeat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 08:28:38 pm »

Name: Astral Gorgas
Skills: Sneaking, Archery, Light armor, and Hunting
Astral sigil: Eagle
Starting Race: Human of Dar
Astral is outside Dar, in the forest Hunting game as he normally does. He is at his camp which comprises of one tent and a small campfire. He is drowsy and decides to rest up a little in his tent. he is in the western part of the forest, below Dar, about 4 miles away. Astral was born a farmer. His dad worked him up to be a well young man. His father died 3 years ago, leaving Astral his bow, leather armor and a few arrows. Astral has since sold off the farm and started hunting game for his village, called Fergel, And this is what hes been up to ever since, but now he feels a diffrent force pulling him towards adventure.

(I created my guys history if you dont mind. :P )
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 08:34:01 pm by Coolnesstod »
All glory to the Hypnotoad.
Random fact: Robin Williams was once addicted to cocaine during the late 1980's/early 1990's.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 08:32:38 pm »

Name: Nikalas
Skills: fear magic, enchanting, runes, clockwerk.
Astral sigil:bat
Starting race: Human of dar
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

RoryTehNoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Ingredients: High Fructose Corn Syrup
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 08:35:18 pm »

Name: Lebuarts
Skills: Archery, Acrobatics, Fletching, Enchanting
Astral Sigil: Monkey
Starting Race: Dwarf of Mathen

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Signatures are displayed at teh bottom of each post or personal message.

Max characters: 500; characters remaining: 379

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 08:35:36 pm »

name Jareth
gender male
skills illusion object making, orb of travel(ball, log, barrel, round stuff; walking and moving at speed on), limited far sight(using lenses to see  and judge objects and distances at range), induce amnesia(making memories fly with blows to own head; aka brain bleach)
sigil owl
race elf of Bortomire (I didnt know how to spell the word you used and my browser doesnt show posts when posting)

I dont know anything about your city so I cant give a pretty little history like I want.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 01:01:59 pm by rarborman »
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

JackOSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurker Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 08:36:35 pm »

Name: Keven Thus'neak
Skills: Basic rune lore/crafting,  Knife fighting, Stealth(moving undetected pick pocketing and the like), Lock picking
Astral sigil: (three crescent moons facing the same direction. a small one, inside a medium one, inside a large one.)
Starting Race: Human of Stayire.

Keven grew up on the streets, he was given the name thus'neak by the leader of the local thieves guild (who had a very bad lisp at the time.) after his "real" family threw him out. that's ok with Keven the guild has always been more of a family to him than those people he was raised by.
Its been a hard life that has taught Keven alot about survival, mostly how to stay hid and take things that arn't yours.
but you don't grow up in Stayire without picking up at least SOME knowlage of the magic runes that power everything.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 09:08:18 pm »

Name: Micka Sitchof
Skills: magitech, golem-crafting, mind magic, philosophy
Sign: Ant
Starting race: Human of Dar
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 11:26:20 pm »

Wooooh, this is taking longer than I expected. I should be able to finish and edit this post with the info eventually, though.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 11:36:44 pm »

Is this a first-post first in basis?

Aww...

Name: Tyril Denerin
Skills: Archery; Herbalism; Runelore; Survival
Astral sigil: The Tree; thin, leafy branches entwined against each other with the base being the most prominent
Starting Race: Elf of Patin

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 01:28:40 am »

Yeah, I won't be able to get the first post done today. Hopefully early tomorrow, but eregggs sleep.

And yeah, Tiruin, I guess it's first-post first in, but I do want this to be quite roleplaying-y, so if they aren't being roleplaying-y... yeah.

Also, someone could just not post. Upon which the same thing will happen.

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 03:13:30 pm »

Heh, perhaps I should have noted: You all start the same age, 17, and in a locale based on your starting race. Also, mcclay, you have magic skills but are starting in a tech-based town... eh, whatever. Freedom. I'll put you guys in a waiting list... Also, keep in mind that if I make your Astral Sigil really not do what you intended, you can always send me a PM. Another thing of note is that what I mean by runes is basically letters of power that can be combined to create various spells, not actual physical runes. So, I'd suggest you guys edit your status' if you thought the latter.
---
Spoiler: Terkiey (click to show/hide)
Terkiey grew up in the town of Bortomire, which, although it lacked the cultural diversity that many other towns and cities had in full, had some of the most accomplished magical academies in the world, as well as a plethora of magical knowledge dating all the way back to the days before the Fifth War. Terkiey, for his part, had the astral sigil of the dolphin. This sigil seemed to fit, for Terkiey was always exceedingly lithe and graceful, a trait that Terkiey found exceedingly useful for dodging and running away from bullies. (+dodge)
    Terkiey's mother, like many other mothers in Bortomire, enlisted him in the basic magical courses that were provided at the Baatuin Academy, all the while attempting to keep his Sun Sign hidden, or at least of little notice. Many people feared power, or potential power, and what did a Sun Sign symbolize but primal power and energy just waiting to be unleashed?

Terkiey, although he showed aptitude in most, if not all, things he did, exceeded most of all in the disciples of healing magic, staves, wands, and the manipulation of runes. A useful skillset, many of Bortomire's citizens agreed. Terkiey's skill in manipulation of runes let him do basic, but useful spells, and also enabled him to branch into more complex types of healing spells. His skill in wands allowed him to recharge wands, and even create his own. There was an old saying coined by Prat, a human with a fondness of healing spells and wands: "A man with a warehouse full of healing wands is a man who doesn't die easy." Last of all, Terkiey's training with staves allowed him to channel various spells through various staves, potentially increasing their power, range, and such. Not to mention that being able to bonk people on the head with a long length of wood effectively is useful for fighting.

Terkiey has grown bored, though. He has finished with his primary classes, and there is a whole world out there to see and wonder at! The Cog, the Caves of Laa're, the Bridge of Ice! There were Darian fire dancer performances to see, the fabled healing temples of Latviar to learn at! Terkiey had his basic equipment ready, rations, a few basic scrolls, a stave. Now, all he had to do was go out there and... well, go out there!
Spoiler: Character (click to show/hide)
---
Spoiler: Astral Gorgas (click to show/hide)
Astral grew up in a small village named Fergel, near Dar. All throughout his childhood, he was taught skills by his father, an accomplished hunter. Dar allowed Astral and his father to sell anything, really, for a good price, and the goods that circulated through Dar were plenty, it being a diverse place, having magicians and tinkerers aplenty. Astral's astral sigil (heh) was the eagle, giving him unnaturally keen vision that bordered on magical (+perception). His Sun Sign was kept a close secret between his father, mother, and himself, for obvious reasons. That didn't stifle the pride that his father had for him, though. Theirs was a close, happy relationship.

Astral, even on top of his training with his father, was always skilled at sneaking, archery, light armor, and hunting in particular. He could be a ghost in the forest, catching whatever he wanted unaware, before letting loose with a flurry of arrows. Or one arrow. That was enough, usually. Sneaking and hunting were usually paired with light armors anyway, but again Astral was unusually skilled with them too. Leather always felt like the lightest of blankets on Astral. His skill of hunting allowed him to bait animals, butcher animals, and generally survive.

And then Astral's father had died. Even though Astral was pretty much self-sufficient at that point, but his dad's death hit him hard, as it should have. His mother wept as well, but one thing that his father's death made him realize was that... he wasn't tethered down. He could go anywhere, or do anything... eventually. That realization also hit Astral hard, although in a different way, a better way. Astral inherited much useful equipment from his father, enough to go out and DO something, and that is what he would do.
---
Spoiler: Nikalas (click to show/hide)
    Nikalas grew up in the sprawling city of Dar, famed for its diversity and its pure amount of merchants, guilds, and things to be done and bought. Clockwerk shops in the Clockwerk Hall of Dar sell all manner of components used in creating all manner of clockwerk constructions, while magic shops in the Runic District can be used to create some of the wildest combinations of magic in the known world. Nikalas' astral sigil was the bat, which gave him a fearsome aura, helping him in his fear magic. (+fear)
    Nikalas, frequently hanging about the Runic District, quickly picked up the skills of Fear Magic, Enchanting, and Runes, and in his time around the Clockwerk Hall, he learned much about clockwerk, and tinkering. His Fear Magic allowed him to instill various psychological effects upon creatures, making them run away and panic. His enchanting skill allowed him to enchant any item he wanted to with, well, whatever he could possibly imagine. And then, his general runes skill allowed him to do basic magic, which is supremely useful. Finally, Nikalas' skill in clockwerk allowed him to tinker and create a large variety of useful items.
    After his 17th year of living in Dar, Nikalas, like so many others his age, became bored with his life. Unlike some others, he had the skills to do make it more interesting. In a sense, his Sun Sign was a skill within itself. Someone with a Sun Sign has never been questioned about their want to adventure. And Nikalas, obviously, wasn't questioned either. He had gathered his equipment, and was ready to set out. The only question was where.
---
Spoiler: Lebuarts (click to show/hide)
    Lebuarts grew up in the Dwarven town of Mathen, an interesting place. While it did lack the large amount of magicians and other magic-related establishments that many Elven and Human towns did, Mathen made up for it with copious amounts of clockwerk shops. Yes, it did have a magic district, but that didn't change the fact that technology reigned supreme. Lebuarts was born, aside from his Sun Sign, with the astral sigil of the monkey, which he found useful for... some activities. (+thievery)
    Mathen always seemed to have bows and crossbows abound, so it was no surprise that it had several archery schools, and thus it was also no surprise that Lebuarts learned the skill. Due to Clockwerk Knight Academy students finding it really fun to aggravate Archery Students, coupled with the fact that acrobatics was very nearly paired with archery in the Arrow Schools of Mathen, Lebuarts learned the art of running, dodging, and generally acting like a Will 'o' the Wisp very early. Lebuarts realized that, yes, a man may be a great archer, and he may be able to dodge nearly anything that is thrown his way, but what can he do with no arrows? This realization caused Lebuarts to take up the art of fletching arrows and bolts in all manner of ways.
    Some events that Lebuarts remembers vividly from his childhood were the varied Festivals of Mathen, and he always found the enchanted arrows that were fired up into the air, exploding into a rainbow of colors, incredibly interesting. Lebuarts aspired to one day enchant his own arrows to do that, and thus learned the art of enchanting.
    But the myriad of festivals that always seemed to appear in Mathen have tired Lebuarts. He doesn't want to turn into a decadent old fraud, growing fat with festival after festival. He wants to see the world, with all its amazing things. Having a festival in a different place would just be a bonus. And thus, Lebuarts has gathered his equipment, and he is almost ready to go.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
---

Okay dear god I am finally done. This post is probably plagued with grammatical errors and unbalanced values/items/skills. So please PM me your trepidations and feelings.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 04:14:20 pm by Repulsion »

Coolnesstod

• Bay Watcher
  • Drink, Work, Repeat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 03:24:52 pm »

Good update, very informal. :D

Anyways, Astral will head towards Dar's tavern and ask the tavern keeper iif there was a guild master around. He will then o to the guild master and ask for an odd job to do, if any need to be done.
All glory to the Hypnotoad.
Random fact: Robin Williams was once addicted to cocaine during the late 1980's/early 1990's.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2012, 03:31:42 pm »

Nikalas pawed his way through many a forgotten book store, dusty libaray andstrange clockwerk hall to learn all he could about combining magic with clockewerk. He also had a passing intrsts in tales of horror terrors from outside the mortal realm. All the while the whispering of... something told him about how his destinty was to find some ruined temple or something like that. This patricular day he looking through a notice board, trying to find somewhere to go for adventure.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2012, 03:41:26 pm »

Mind if I join in:

Name: Daniel Greywinde
Skills: Swordfighting, crossbow, scouting, survival
Astral Sigil: The Shield: A circular shape with intricate lines in it.
Race: Human of Dar

Daniel is the son of the noble Simon Greywinde. Simon was murdered in his castle by a barbarian attack, and Daniel managed to kill most of the barbarians, forcing them to flee. He then ran the manor of Greywinde for a while, before leaving to adventure at the age of 16. Now, 25, he stands outside of Dar, waiting for a new adventure.

(Also, are all our characters somehow destined to meet?)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6