Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: DF's Tone  (Read 15477 times)

iEpinephrine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF's Tone
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2012, 09:15:54 pm »

Saying "I don't like the tone of D&D" doesn't make D&D bad, it makes D&D suitable for a different audience. 
I hate pretty much all high fantasy and D&D is close to top of my list, but I see my friends have fun with it all the time, so it obviously isn't bad.

Conan The Barbarian crossed with The Silmarillion with a little bit of Watership Down thrown in.

Hahaha, so true.

Though personally I feel the tone is ... call me crazy for this...Tetris, with context. 
Colours and abstract shapes floating about.  Entire goal of the game is maximum utilisation of efficiency, with inevitable death as your final reward.  It's Tetris with less reflex and more narrative.
"This button makes your dwarves less retarded"

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2012, 09:20:29 pm »

I think what you guys are getting at is the tone of DF is: high-realism with a hint of heroism and fantasy thrown in. And that contrasts with DnD's tone of high-fantasy heroism, with no regard for realism.
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2012, 09:36:21 pm »

Saying "I don't like the tone of D&D" doesn't make D&D bad, it makes D&D suitable for a different audience. 
I hate pretty much all high fantasy and D&D is close to top of my list, but I see my friends have fun with it all the time, so it obviously isn't bad.

I wish more people thought like this.

As for DF's tone, I really think that it depends largely on the player. It's completely possible to make a fort where everyone's happy, and you spend all your time churning out toys, or a deathtrap where each new wave of immigrants is crushed by the insane ghosts of the last wave of immigrants, while the other dwarves kick kittens off of cliffs. Of course, some things are harder to control; if you're not careful, santa will need to figure out what to do about all the goblins stopping the exports, and the kitten kickers will eventually run out of kittens. But even things like that can be worked around (turn off invasions, cat breeding program).
On the other hand, if you don't aim for any particular playstyle, there is still a huge amount of room for interpretation of everything that happens. Are the dwarves returning from killing that forgotten beast excited by the victory? Filled with despair that death is all they have to look forward to? Telling stories to eachother about their feats of strength? Complaining about the food? Or is the trauma they constantly go through slowly driving them insane? It's all up to interpretation; DF can have almost any tone you feel like it having.
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2012, 09:37:23 pm »

I don't think it's general tone is gritty and macabre(though things certainly can get that way at times), I actually think it's quite inspiring and uplifting.

It's taking seven little bearded people with all of the odds against them, and helping them to thrive in a harsh and relentless world, regardless of what unspeakable terrors and tragedies are thrown at them. Going from a bunch of homeless drunks with a hole in the ground, to a thriving mountainhome, feared and respected throughout the land. Overcoming challenges, building wonders, and creating legends.

If anything DF's tone is one of hope, endurance, and perseverance. Unless you suck at it, then things can get pretty dark.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2012, 11:29:42 pm »

DF's tone: losing is fun.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2012, 11:33:55 pm »

I'm not sure about WOW but warcraft was pretty grimdark behind the scenes, for example.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Thats pretty damn dark.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2012, 12:05:42 am »

I'm not sure about WOW but warcraft was pretty grimdark behind the scenes, for example.
Thats pretty damn dark.
It's a pity it doesn't translate to the gameplay. Gameplay and Story Segregation etc.

feralferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2012, 12:07:18 am »

Any game with a 'Ready to slaughter?' button for all kittens and puppies is at least a little dark. :D

DF's tone is definitely what you make of it though. I find it delightfully sinister.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2012, 12:08:34 am »

Thats pretty damn dark.
It's a pity it doesn't translate to the gameplay. Gameplay and Story Segregation etc.
It would have been considering this took place in a blizzard game that was supposed to introduce Thrall iirc: Warcraft Adventures Lord of the Clans.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Lumix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2012, 12:13:48 am »

Thats pretty damn dark.
It would have been considering this took place in a blizzard game that was supposed to introduce Thrall iirc: Warcraft Adventures Lord of the Clans.
I had high hopes for WoW, They took a completely solid story, dumbed it down, and babied the players  :'(

Instead of showing Deathwing as a genius who manipulated others through politics, its more or less "Hey im a dragon, come at me"
I know it's fairly common but I killed 180+ people in his civilization before I went after him. I was kind of hoping for something a bit more substantial than a sucker punch and penis theft.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2012, 01:01:06 am »

I go with the "Player make up their own tone while playing DF" . Thats why I find it hard to read community stories, they never fit my imagination of what DF is like.

Lumix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2012, 01:05:16 am »

I go with the "Player make up their own tone while playing DF" . Thats why I find it hard to read community stories, they never fit my imagination of what DF is like.

That is true.

Some talk about their fortress or adventure like a  heroic tale, others talk about it as if its documentry, others talk about it as if its a slow slide to inevitable death
I know it's fairly common but I killed 180+ people in his civilization before I went after him. I was kind of hoping for something a bit more substantial than a sucker punch and penis theft.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2012, 05:49:26 am »

That's interesting. How does others perception of DF (gained through reading community/story forts) differ from yours? Do the others always seem similar?

I don't think DF is that dark, it depends how you play. You could be throwing every child born off the edge of a pit in sacrifice to Armok or just play a peaceful farming settlement with invaders switched off. There probably is something noble about the dwarf militia defending their kin, and I've always thought the mayor had a twisted sense of humour when he demands impossible items just so he can have someone beaten. It's a survival city-builder in its finest form. But DF is great in that you can shift it to be what you want it to be depending on your idea for the game.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2012, 05:57:59 am »

To me, DF is pretty much a take on normal in a messed up world. No random music, amazing special effects or whatever, just your ASCII smileys trying to make something for themselves.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2012, 06:40:43 am »

I hate the current trend of cute or parodical fantasy games.(Dungeons of Dredmor, Majesty 2, etc). Dwarf Fortress has just the right tone.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4