Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mayor/Baron Questions  (Read 951 times)

Harvey

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Mayor/Baron Questions
« on: February 04, 2012, 04:04:14 pm »

Newbie here with two questions about leaders:

1) Should I be doing something specific to get my expedition leaders promoted to mayors?  I've only run three or four fortresses to the mayor point so far, but the leader never got elected, losing out each time to one of those pump operators who has nothing to do but move furniture and chat with other pump operators.  (Most recently, the engravers actually commemorated the leader's firing on several pillars, but not until after he was killed while trying to save a friend from reptile men.)  Similarly, my sheriff never seems to become captain of the guard automatically (also commemorated in snarky pillar format).

2) Is there any reason to pick a specific dwarf for the Baron?  I just picked the mayor so that I wouldn't have to create another private dining hall - although he lost the next election, so I had to do it anyway.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mayor/Baron Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 04:26:40 pm »

1. You should choose a dwarf who is friendly and who likes crowds as your mayor, then leave them idle as much as possible. Those traits make it more likely for your prospective mayor to choose to idle in the meeting area instead of in a bedroom, which will let them socialize more, which will let them make more friends, which will tend to lead to them becoming and staying major.

2. Baron candidates should have material and item preferences which mesh with your existing production and export plans and capabilities. Nobles who mandate things you can't make, or that are useless for you, are bad. Nobles that ban export of things you want to sell are bad, too. Nobles that mandate the production of something you're planning on making for your own use are good, though; nobody much cares about bin, barrel, or steel-production mandates, for instance, because it's likely that you'll be making those things regularly anyway. Since nobles' mandates are based on their preferences, that's what you should choose nobles for.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 05:58:48 pm »

1. You should choose a dwarf who is friendly and who likes crowds as your mayor, then leave them idle as much as possible. Those traits make it more likely for your prospective mayor to choose to idle in the meeting area instead of in a bedroom, which will let them socialize more, which will let them make more friends, which will tend to lead to them becoming and staying major.

= Good consolidator

If a tantruming dorf arranges a meeting with your leader/mayor/baron and they suck at consolidating, they'll give your already angry dorf an unhappy thought.

Harvey

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 08:51:54 pm »

Thanks for the responses!  That makes a good deal of sense - I had my expedition leader locked up in his office, processing work orders and double-checking the books.  No wonder he developed the social skills of an accountant.  Next time I'll groom somebody friendly but useless, like a bearded, alcoholic Irish setter.