Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Butchery Questions  (Read 659 times)

Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Butchery Questions
« on: February 04, 2012, 10:09:03 am »

Okay im a little confused, ive allocated a custom stockpile for corpses however they are not moved when they rot.

Another problem is that all my dwarves just put loads of unbutcherable corpses in there! I don't get it!

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Re: Butchery Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 10:24:56 am »

I think corpses are for things that don't get butchered, like your fallen foes, and comrads.  Refuse, I think is for things that get butchered.  Did you include Refuse in that Corpse pile?

I could be wrong, but I always combine the two in one pile.  And then make a seperate one for bone and skulls, since that tends to clutter up things.  Then I grind out bone xbows, bone helmets and totems, from that pile.  I don't care for bone bolts, the stack size is so small. 

And early in, they miss often.  5 bone bolts causes a ton of extra footfalls.

Sincerely, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 10:45:34 am »

Have you turned on the setting in the orders menu that allows collection of refuse from outside?

Also, when you say that the corpses are not moved when they rot, do you mean they aren't moved into the stockpile, or that corpses that rot aren't moved out of the stockpile when they rot?  It's not clear what's happening and what you expect to happen.

A refuse stockpile will be set by default to accept all corpses, even those that can't be butchered.  To make a stockpile that accepts only butcherable corpses you have to manually go through the list in the stockpile settings and select each creature type you can butcher to be put in the stockpile.  It's tedious and annoying.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 01:29:39 pm »

Have you turned on the setting in the orders menu that allows collection of refuse from outside?

Also, when you say that the corpses are not moved when they rot, do you mean they aren't moved into the stockpile, or that corpses that rot aren't moved out of the stockpile when they rot?  It's not clear what's happening and what you expect to happen.

A refuse stockpile will be set by default to accept all corpses, even those that can't be butchered.  To make a stockpile that accepts only butcherable corpses you have to manually go through the list in the stockpile settings and select each creature type you can butcher to be put in the stockpile.  It's tedious and annoying.

Tedious and annoying it is then!

Oh and cheers for informing me about that refuse outside order, kinda annoying though as I was wondering why the titan i killed wasn't being retrieved and butchered. Cheers! :)