Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 22

Author Topic: Divinity. - Dreams Invaded: 2  (Read 57841 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Divinity. - Potential Political Allies Accidentally Insulted: 1
« Reply #240 on: March 06, 2015, 09:49:31 pm »

Going to need a few more 'ayes' before we launch on a campaign of conquest, if only because it's a radical direction change.

Responses to Rants

Worship: Mechanically, you cannot train priests to bless things in your name.  Either you invest creatures directly with power or do it yourself.  That's the sacrifice of taking power yourself rather than leaving it to the gods - only the gods can endow priests with blessing power.  But that's somewhat balanced by awesome power on your part, yes.

Weapons: Yeah, you can create weapons.

Angelic Necromancy: A flat no on direct animation of the dead here, that's a property of Evil(tm).  The Shades under your command are actually reformed Spectres who were hanging around in the crypts, so you can convert certain existing undead but not create more.  On the other hand, you may be able to actually resurrect the dead.  You haven't tried yet.

Name: Lvantha Talaoia runs off the tongue, and I like it.  You can't change your Name, anyhow.

Heroes: Lvantha is not aware of Heroes, therefore they are not in the glossary.  I'll add Luxpanapi, though.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 06, 2015, 09:51:15 pm »

Oh, I'd say we at least finish our politicking here before we go on a conquest spree - gotta finish what you started and all that.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 06, 2015, 10:22:12 pm »

The demon's name was actually Krlnkr Yrlvnt, so even less vowels.
Hmm. Do we need to sound all demonic though? If anything we could give ourselves a title that's nearly nothing but vowels - our name's pretty alright as it is.
There was actually an 'i' in there. It was in character creation and it was pronounced as such when we were born. Link.
No, we don't! What we need is a high vowel:consonant ratio since they're the most angelic of names. A name that's nearly all vowels would be pretty angelic.

Going to need a few more 'ayes' before we launch on a campaign of conquest, if only because it's a radical direction change.
Of course, that stuff is to be talked about with other players. The suggestions I made (in bold) are things I believe we should do now, though.

Worship: Mechanically, you cannot train priests to bless things in your name.  Either you invest creatures directly with power or do it yourself.  That's the sacrifice of taking power yourself rather than leaving it to the gods - only the gods can endow priests with blessing power.  But that's somewhat balanced by awesome power on your part, yes.
Alright then, but what can our guys do? I mean in terms of how demons have necromancers.
Looking at CULTS from the Demonhood glossary, it seems like demonic cultists are capable of enslaving (mindwiping) living people and creating monsters. Can our cultists do something similar/opposite to that?

Name: Lvantha Talaoia runs off the tongue, and I like it.  You can't change your Name, anyhow.
So that's our actual name? I thought it was the closest approximation we could make with our vocal chords. Thanks for clearing that up. :)

EDIT: In Demonhood, it was mentioned that Krlnkir didn't know any normal magic and thus couldn't use it but it wasn't explicitly said that he couldn't learn. Is it possible for us to use normal magic if we learn it? If we use it as an alternative to angelic magic, would we be able to use it without drawing from our mind power?

EDIT2: You know what would've been a good angel name? Iiue. ;D

EDIT3: Add necromancers to the glossary. We're gonna be dealing with them a lot and our past deals with them show that we know something about necromancers so I think it's appropriate we include them in the glossary for easy reference.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 10:41:46 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 06, 2015, 10:42:11 pm »

Ok, for sake of me not stumbling over my words, I will stick to one part of what you want to do. And that's to Conquest places. I wont say no. I WILL, though, say, not now. First, we need to reassign our shades to visit each of the villages. They will be needed to scout these villages. Mainly we look at the level of lawlessness. Each one, we drive ten people to start calling for the inhabitants to mend their evil ways and to begin serving the Gods loyally, or else death shall be fall them. Try not to drive our messengers mad. Any town or village where the most of our messages are killed is our first stop. We can clense the village and then, any good people who die from the cleansing,  we can offer their souls ways of doing good, even in death.

What of that plan?
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 06, 2015, 10:49:59 pm »

Ok, for sake of me not stumbling over my words, I will stick to one part of what you want to do. And that's to Conquest places. I wont say no. I WILL, though, say, not now. First, we need to reassign our shades to visit each of the villages. They will be needed to scout these villages. Mainly we look at the level of lawlessness. Each one, we drive ten people to start calling for the inhabitants to mend their evil ways and to begin serving the Gods us loyally, or else death shall be fall them. Try not to drive our messengers mad. Any town or village where the most of our messages are killed is our first stop. We can clense the village and then, any good people who die from the cleansing,  we can offer their souls ways of doing good, even in death.

What of that plan?
FTFY
Sig! Onol

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 06, 2015, 10:52:12 pm »

Ok, for sake of me not stumbling over my words, I will stick to one part of what you want to do. And that's to Conquest places. I wont say no. I WILL, though, say, not now. First, we need to reassign our shades to visit each of the villages. They will be needed to scout these villages. Mainly we look at the level of lawlessness. Each one, we drive ten people to start calling for the inhabitants to mend their evil ways and to begin serving the Gods loyally, or else death shall be fall them. Try not to drive our messengers mad. Any town or village where the most of our messages are killed is our first stop. We can clense the village and then, any good people who die from the cleansing,  we can offer their souls ways of doing good, even in death.

What of that plan?
Not a very good plan, I'll be honest. I mean, we spared the lives of slavedrivers for goodness sake! (Hehe) If people reject goodness, we'll just mindwipe the evil out of them. Also, the whole point of us starting a conquest is to get people to worship us rather than the gods. Seriously, the only thing the gods are good for is sanctifying weapons and NOTHING else. You can check out Demonhood to see how well that turned out for the cities who were devout to gods.

Sending our invisible, undetectable shades to scout out the level of goodness in the surrounding villages is an excellent idea, though.

Krlnkir's cult didn't really have any laws except to worship Krlnkir and to worship no others, which wasn't even an explicit law. Actually, there was one law that Krlnkir enforced - all who harm children shall be killed or worse. I think that should be (one of) our law(s) as well.

EDIT: Turns out the law was against sacrificing children. Same difference, really. Link. (Ukrainian Ranger's suggestion.)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 11:01:01 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 06, 2015, 11:00:12 pm »

That should be, but, my reason for saying that they should worship the Gods is because we started doing what we have been, in their name. I feel there is a way of doing that without. . . . . What is the word. . .. . . Going back on our word. Maybe have them worship to gods and then give sacrifices to our character, who is doing the will of the gods. Machanicaly, if will probably means we wont get as much, but then, we dont risk loosing everything we have because, suddenly had an unexplainable change of heart of who we represent.
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 06, 2015, 11:06:14 pm »

We'll tell them that we were mistaken, that we realised that we are inherently different from the gods. Sanctified weapons only work because it's the will of the gods, not because of any effect that good has on evil. (There is an effect, but it's not being used here.) We are a being of good, not of gods.

As for our "unexplainable" change of heart, maybe we had an epiphany where we realised that even these cities who actually do worship the gods aren't any more good than the town or village we just saved.

EDIT: We won't lose everything we have. Remember, we're more powerful now than when we were born, we have artifact weapons, and we have devout followers.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 11:09:22 pm by Andres »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 06, 2015, 11:09:22 pm »

Or if one of them get destroyed and aren't helped by the gods at all, which given from what I remember of the gods is a thing, as humans are basically just prayer fodder.
Sig! Onol

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 06, 2015, 11:10:57 pm »

I forgot to mention this in my original complaint about Demonhood, but if you guys stayed in Barrspring and focused on being eldritch evil rather than "evil", you could've made something akin to the Eye of Terror where physics itself bends to your whim, or at least something like that to a lesser extent.

EDIT: IDEA! So it's been hinted that our angelic powers might be capable of resurrection. What if instead of resurrection, we can instead extend life? It wasn't actually tested, but maybe with some experimentation orcs could've been invented. If that's the case, then maybe humans who live for a long time (possibly since childhood/birth) in an area with a lot of good will mutate into elves who live for decades/hundreds of years longer? Maybe they can even live forever if they stay within ultra-good areas.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 11:19:09 pm by Andres »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 06, 2015, 11:20:03 pm »

Eh, I'm not sure that'd have fit the flavour of the game to be honest. Demonhood was all about being EVIL after all, not about being ineffably powerful and physics-bending. That's for the eldritch abominations. Besides, they could've only gotten so far with the people in Barrspring.
Anyway, that game's behind us now. Onto the future!
Sig! Onol

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 06, 2015, 11:25:14 pm »

Eh, I'm not sure that'd have fit the flavour of the game to be honest. Demonhood was all about being EVIL after all, not about being ineffably powerful and physics-bending. That's for the eldritch abominations.
You say that as if we weren't. ::) Seriously, compare us (demon) to Cthulhu with our unpronounceable name, our evilness, and our tendency to cause madness and you'll find no difference between what we are, save for a difference in power.

Besides, they could've only gotten so far with the people in Barrspring.
You mean the ur location for all things evil in the world, where the source of the polluted Barr begins, where our half-demonic daughter lives, where rape trees live in groves, where a black forge powered by the screams of damned souls, wouldn't where we situate our main stronghold? It's not big but it's got a lot of history and a lot of investment.

Anyway, that game's behind us now. Onto the future!
Check the paragraph I edited in in my previous post. Thoughts?

EDIT: Barrpsring is also the location of the world's deepest mine, so obviously that place is going to get flooded with demons eventually.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 11:27:26 pm by Andres »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 06, 2015, 11:35:27 pm »

You mean the ur location for all things evil in the world, where the source of the polluted Barr begins, where our half-demonic daughter lives, where rape trees live in groves, where a black forge powered by the screams of damned souls, wouldn't where we situate our main stronghold? It's not big but it's got a lot of history and a lot of investment.
I'll note that basically all of that was only possible due to the power we gained by conquering places beyond Barrspring. Not the half-demonic daughter though.

You say that as if we weren't.  Seriously, compare us (demon) to Cthulhu with our unpronounceable name, our evilness, and our tendency to cause madness and you'll find no difference between what we are, save for a difference in power.
Cthulhu wasn't explicitly evil, though. Krlnkr was explicitly made up of Evil, and he got more power by doing evil things and acting super evil. Cthulhu just has power inexplicable to any mortally comprehensible motive.

Check the paragraph I edited in in my previous post. Thoughts?
Seems a cool thing we could do eventually. 
Sig! Onol

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 07, 2015, 12:42:45 am »

I'll note that basically all of that was only possible due to the power we gained by conquering places beyond Barrspring. Not the half-demonic daughter though.
I'm not saying that we should've stopped our conquests or anything, just that we -the demon, not our armies- might've gained something from staying in one place while our armies conquered more and more. Yes Barrspring's a centre of evil because of our conquests outside of it, but it's still a centre of evil.

Cthulhu wasn't explicitly evil, though. Krlnkr was explicitly made up of Evil, and he got more power by doing evil things and acting super evil. Cthulhu just has power inexplicable to any mortally comprehensible motive.
So....we weren't an evil Cthulhu in the making, we were an evil Cthulhu in the making. Jesus, I'd hate to see what Cthulhu'd be like if he were evil!

You know, if we start conquering a bunch of people, that would make us an empress. An angel-empress. We'd assimilate those who joined willingly and conquered those who didn't. We are the anathema to the source of evil in this world. We started our conquests after we saw that independent settlements doing their own thing wouldn't help against the far-off evil that we'll eventually face. There's mechanics for having children and we're basically about to abolish the worship of gods. Did we just get batman gambitted into playing a WH40K fanfic game?

EDIT: If we allowed a small part of our empire to worship the gods (alongside us, of course) so they can create sanctified weapons for us, then we have a parallel for the Mechanicum.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 12:50:52 am by Andres »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 07, 2015, 12:58:54 am »

Oh, there are probably benefits to staying in one place, but that's kinda boring - how would we have gotten to rampage as a dragon through some towns, or super lasered that one army, or any other number of really cool stuff we did?

Sig! Onol
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 22