Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22

Author Topic: Divinity. - Dreams Invaded: 2  (Read 57895 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Divinity. - Necromancers Deposed: One.
« Reply #105 on: February 06, 2012, 10:19:52 pm »

You conjure up a small hood for your grey robe and cover your silver hair.  The peasants grudgingly give their spears to the macemen, who march you into town in the guise of labourers.  The guards stop you at one of the roads, enquiring where the two soldiers have been and where their captain is.  The macemen glance at each other.

There is a pause, a sense of hesitation.  Then one of them taps the other's right wrist.

"Just back from Fere's Pike.  Captain Logue's busy in the temple there, says he found a lot of bones.  We're just buying supplies and bringing in some labour."

You pass through without issue, the peasants clearly relieved.  The shades surrounding the guards relax as well and silently continue to follow you.

The temple is easy to find; a larger domed structure of similar design to the one in Fere's Pike, with attached ancillary buildings, dominating one end of the marketplace.  The moment you see it, you get a lurching sensation in your stomach.  As you get closer, you have haunting suspicions as to why.  The sunsign sigil of Tokchoko above the doorway has been broken in half.  You hurriedly pass by the few stalls as weary peddlars shout bargains after you until you reach the temple proper.

The stench of Evil here is only overpowered by the stench of blood.  One of the peasants dry retches.  The rich tapestries and hangings have been burned or torn, those that have not already been stolen.  The statues and carvings of saints and angels have suffered a similar fate.  Dry, black blood spatters the walls.  You can guess from the sprays where people died, and where the pooled blood stained the marble and has not been scrubbed away.  Maybe it never can be scrubbed away.

You glance back.  The shades remain outside, refusing to enter.  The evil in this place is so strong even you feel the need to run, to get out of here as quickly as you can.  You force yourself to look back, to take in more of the room.  Tokchoko's symbol is missing from the altar - probably melted down for whatever precious metal is was made of.  The altar itself is broken, with a massive crack running down the middle as if it was hit with a pickaxe.  So much dried blood covers the veined pink marble that it seems black now.  At the base, there are pieces.  Unidentified human pieces, drenched in rather fresher blood and ground into mush by footsteps and clumsy evisceration.  Atop the altar in pride of place is a statue in black bronze; a coiled serpent bristling with spines, three headed and eyeless.  The statue leers at you, as if mocking your very presence in this desecrated place.

The statue is undoubtedly the source (or at least focus) of all the evil in this terrible place.  You advance towards it, intending to destroy it where it stands, when you spot the runes.  A tiny ring of runes carved around the idol's resting place and a larger ring around the altar itself, steeped in blood and bristling with evil energy.  Wards, and strong ones.  Perhaps stronger than you are right now.  You aren't sure what will happen if a mortal crosses them, but you expect it to be bad.  You are certain it will be worse if you do, before breaking them.

The priest, if there is one, does not seem to be present.  You get out of the temple before you get sick.  Your followers seem more than happy to vacate it as well.

Will you:

-Search for information on the priest, if any?
-Examine the wards?
-Something else?

Name: Lvantha Talaoia
Strength: 13 manpower ()
Mind: 9 menminds ()

Followers: 1 luxpanap (John) (training, 2 wks)
5 peasants (training: spearmen, 2 wks)
2 macemen

Slaves: 0

Servants: 0 (Beings under your command - be they mutated mortals or lesser angels.)

Holdings:
1 village (1 Resource)

Items:
Unnamed Angelic Sword: +2 vs undead & demons if you wield it.  More effective when a mortal holds it.

Quote from: Stats
Shade: 0 Str, 1 Mind.  Cannot be attacked physically save by silver or desecrated weapons, cannot physically attack.  Special Attack: Haunt - Drives victims insane or inspires terror.  Invisibility.
Greater Shade: 0 Str, 2 Mind.  Abilities as Shade.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 06:36:34 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

JackOSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurker Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 06, 2012, 11:03:13 pm »

If just the wards are stronger than we are then we're already out of our depth here.

-we need to use our "senses" to see if we can find any good-faithful people left here. if so we should attain their help as we need more power atm.

-above all stay hidden until the time to strike has arrived.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 06, 2012, 11:54:21 pm »

If just the wards are stronger than we are then we're already out of our depth here.

-we need to use our "senses" to see if we can find any good-faithful people left here. if so we should attain their help as we need more power atm.

+1
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 07, 2012, 12:00:35 am »

We should earn their help by helping them first. No doubt they will be suffering. We ease their suffering, then request their help to slowly begin cleansing the town of evil.

Our next step, once we have a few of the 'good' residents on our side, would be to look for the basically-good-but-slowly-succumbing-to-evil  people, and have them repent before us- saving them from falling into 'true' evil.
Long Live United Forenia!

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 07, 2012, 01:27:35 am »

We should earn their help by helping them first. No doubt they will be suffering. We ease their suffering, then request their help to slowly begin cleansing the town of evil.

Our next step, once we have a few of the 'good' residents on our side, would be to look for the basically-good-but-slowly-succumbing-to-evil  people, and have them repent before us- saving them from falling into 'true' evil.
Thats good, but, my only question is how do we plan on doing that without revealing ourselves out in the open. I will though an idea out, but its only because I feel that the Shades Invisibility makes them perfect for use in reconnaissance and scouting duties. At least for now, that is.
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 07, 2012, 08:16:24 am »

Thats good, but, my only question is how do we plan on doing that without revealing ourselves out in the open. I will though an idea out, but its only because I feel that the Shades Invisibility makes them perfect for use in reconnaissance and scouting duties. At least for now, that is.

We should not be afraid to reveal ourselves to the "good" people. As previously said, we help them a bit, ease their suffering and gather their support. Once we are confident of our strength, we can cleanse the temple and the town.
Obviously, low profile is in order,for there is no rest for the wicked and they will have their eyes open for anything suspicious.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 08:26:24 am by Ardas »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 07, 2012, 08:23:21 am »

Posting to watch and suggest later on,  :D.

Edit: Could there be linking from the OP to updates on the story? I think this will grow from here, and thus will be hard to read back on.

Or something like NUKE's glossary/indexing, if he's alright with it.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 08:29:07 am by Tiruin »

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 07, 2012, 08:42:37 am »

Idea. Use the shades to find areas that radiate the most "good" in the area, and for "good" people. Have the shades whisper into their ears to meet you in a specific, but alternating, areas. Reveal yourself to them and tell them that [insert plan here].
That provides a means of revealing ourselves and gain believers, without losing our cover that easily.
Actually. That allows all three actions to be do.

1. You can find people who can be used to purge the land of its vileness

2. Find information on the whereabouts of the priest

3. You yourself can study the runes. (warning, I think its best not to actually interact with them.)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 08:45:08 am by zomara0292 »
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 07, 2012, 12:21:05 pm »

Would it be possible to tap the mindpower of our shades? Once we've discovered the nature of the wards, we could then use the combined might to break them.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 07, 2012, 12:22:55 pm »

Name the sword Darkbane. Unrelated, I know, but if there is a crossover, I'd like to see Barrsdoom vs that. :3

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 07, 2012, 12:28:22 pm »

Name the sword Darkbane. Unrelated, I know, but if there is a crossover, I'd like to see Barrsdoom vs that. :3
I would rather mistbane. Sounds less forced. But darkbane is a really nice choice too, though cliche

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 07, 2012, 12:29:39 pm »

Mistbane would imply you were fighting the wind demons. :3

Eh, I'll change my suggestion to mistwalker.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 07, 2012, 12:44:11 pm »

You must like dual words. I will plus one it.

JackOSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurker Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 07, 2012, 04:42:44 pm »

aw I was going to suggest The Righteous Sword of Holy Justice. just because this begs for a pompous long winded title.

1. You can find people who can be used to purge the land of its vileness
2. Find information on the whereabouts of the priest
3. You yourself can study the runes. (warning, I think its best not to actually interact with them.)

+1

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 07, 2012, 05:00:22 pm »

See, if you wanted a proper Barrsdoom reference you should have gone for something like Feresaved, but perhaps you ought to save town name items until you actually make something of your own, hehe.  Taking Mistwalker as the name.

Before I do the update, I want a quick consensus; infogathering will take a couple of days.  Will you stay in town at the inn (the soldiers have a bit of money) and pass yourselves off as their slaves/henchmen, or camp outside the town and venture in at dawn and when you need to?
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22