Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Utilizing scales and feathers  (Read 3254 times)

muxecoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Utilizing scales and feathers
« on: February 04, 2012, 07:09:29 am »

While the dwarfs in my fortress enjoy alligator meat roast I'm trying to find a way to utilize the scales. Is there anything useful that can be made of scales? And what about feathers?

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Utilizing scales and feathers
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 08:20:35 am »

Hair, scales and feathers are currently only useless by-products. Nothing can be made out of them, not even artifacts.

SauliusTheBlack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 10:41:30 am »

mayhap it is moddable. Seeing as I haven't ever encountered alligators of feathered beasts, I didn't consider it.
Perhaps anyone else?

aligator scale scalemail??
They died for their fellow Dwarves. They will be remembered, at least until your Dwarves see a particularly nice statue.

muxecoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 12:38:35 pm »

mayhap it is moddable. Seeing as I haven't ever encountered alligators of feathered beasts, I didn't consider it.
Perhaps anyone else?

aligator scale scalemail??
Modding is no different from cheating.

Alligators are common and hunter can kill one easily.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 12:54:35 pm »

Modding is no different from cheating.
You're very much wrong about that. Most people actually mod to increase the difficulty, and that's basically the opposite of cheating. Even mods to add in missing functionality or to use otherwise-useless things aren't really cheating, since they don't really help the player much; armor or clothing made from scale or feathers wouldn't be very powerful at all, and crafts or other trade goods from them would usually require efforts on the player's part that wouldn't provide benefits that spending that effort on similar crafts wouldn't.

Really, modding is just making the game different, nothing more, and, aside from explicit something-for-nothing cheat reactions, isn't cheating.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 01:20:51 pm »

Is it even possible to cheat in a singleplayer sandbox game?

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 01:56:59 pm »

Cheating is breaking the rules the game has set. Modding is changing those rules. They can end up at the same point, but usually don't.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 02:21:29 pm »

Isn't the purpose of a sandbox game to let the player do what the fuck he wants because he knows best what he perceives as fun?

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 02:24:05 pm »

Cheating is breaking the rules the game has set. Modding is changing those rules. They can end up at the same point, but usually don't.

Dwarf Fortress has rules? Can I see them?

nutzy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 03:56:59 pm »

Ignore all the modding naysayers.  ;D

Scale leather can be made if you add the [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:LEATHER] token to the scale entry in raw\objects\material_template_default.txt

Also, you can add the [SHELL] token to the chitin, feather, and nail entries to use them to decorate items or satisfy strange moods, and I like to add [ROTS] to cartilage so it doesn't sit around forever.

Note: There is a modding board in case you have any other questions

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 04:22:52 pm »

Ignore all the modding naysayers.  ;D

Also, you can add the [SHELL] token to the chitin, feather, and nail entries to use them to decorate items or satisfy strange moods, and I like to add [ROTS] to cartilage so it doesn't sit around forever.

Is there a way to make cartilage edible to vermin (maybe some animals) bc I think that's a little more realistic typical than just rotting away.
and if you make leather out of scale, then will it behave like leather or scale? I think (scale)scale mail =/= leather, but I doubt it would be too noticeable practically speaking (as in, in combat.)

nutzy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 05:06:08 pm »

You can add [EDIBLE_VERMIN] to cartilage, but that would take even longer than rotting... maybe forever. Atom smashing is always best for this garbage, though.

Scale leather shouldn't act any more like scale than normal leather acts like skin.
I think I have seen mods where people have made special leather material templates for scale leather and/or chitin leather, but that is more complicated and you have to screw around with body detail plan raws.

Avo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 05:42:38 pm »

Dwarf Fortress has rules? Can I see them?

You managed to completely fail to grasp what he was trying to say in such an infuriating manner im going to step in. ALL games have rules. The way water flows is a rule, how dwarves select what jobs to do is a rule even what items you can make are rules. They are the preset boundaries of the game. Modding does in fact change the rules, sometimes that does make the game much easier.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 05:55:44 pm »

Feathers make excellent ammunition in adventure mode. Just 'sayin.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 10:35:37 pm »

Scale leather can be made if you add the [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:LEATHER] token to the scale entry in raw\objects\material_template_default.txt

You will also need to remove the line [REMOVE_MATERIAL:LEATHER] from every creature that has scales that you want to be able to make leather from.  Otherwise you'll have a material reaction product pointing at a local creature material that doesn't actually exist.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: [1] 2