Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Changing Dwarf Fortress  (Read 743 times)

Emerald Salamander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Changing Dwarf Fortress
« on: February 04, 2012, 03:05:18 am »

I really wanna play around with things for the creatures in dwarf fortress but i have no idea what or where to go to do it. I would like to make it so dwarfs don't have to eat and drink as well as other things. Could some-one please make a video to show me what to do? Many people have told me what to do through text but this really doesn't help. So could some-one please make a video to show me how to change any creature i want to change like maybe giving goblins 5 arms or something... Well i  have said it enough so could some-one please make a video?
"Therefore, I implore you, merry band of shit-for-brains midgets, to stop acting like idiots."

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Changing Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 03:08:37 am »

The modding is purely text, so the video would be nothing but text anyway.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 10:27:57 am »

Seconded

I think maybe some of us advanced modders should get together to make a step by step guide on how to start modding.
But when I think of doing it I get too complex, because what is a simple modification?
When I mod I go all out.

@Emerald Salamander
I would read the Modder's Workshop Thread, There has been several good beginning questions asked there. I even have a fair amount of questions I asked in there. It might be alot of reading but the mechanics on how to do the modifications have been explained indepth.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 01:15:18 pm »

I think maybe some of us advanced modders should get together to make a step by step guide on how to start modding.
But when I think of doing it I get too complex, because what is a simple modification?
When I mod I go all out.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Modding_guide

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 04:07:51 pm »

The default raw files are usually commented by toady as well, giving some insight into what different tags do and such... for everything else, there's the wiki!