Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [176.38a] Caravan fails to unload?  (Read 599 times)

Lorithad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[176.38a] Caravan fails to unload?
« on: February 21, 2008, 08:18:00 pm »

Ok, so I know this is my first bug report, but I've tried to gather as much info as I can. If you need anything else, please ask. I'll see what I can do.

Anyway,
It appears as though any caravan that attempts to get to my depot, fails to unload. It gets there. It says they're unloading. But shortly after, they just take off.
Usually what happens, is that two wagons get there. The first one gets to the center, then the second one doesn't make it all the way onto the depot. It sits one tile off. After a little while, the second wagon(I think) disappears, and drops all of it's stuff. Immediately after this happens, the first wagon leaves.
I never have the ability to trade, as they never fully finish unloading (if they've even actually started.)

Another thing to note: The depot they are trying to access is not my first one. My first one, I built underground. Unfortunately, due to another possible bug )that I'm still gathering info on), the wagons felt that there was no wagon access to said depot. (yes, I used ramps, and yes I made sure that the ramps on the first floor had sufficient clear space for the wagons to make their way down.)

So, because of that, I reloaded a save that I conveniently made at the beginning of autumn, in order to try to get an accessible depot.
I've tried with having the original depot still there as well as destroying the original depot and then building the second one. Each time, reproducing the effect.

Save file is available upon request.

[ February 21, 2008: Message edited by: Lorithad ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: [176.38a] Caravan fails to unload?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 07:54:00 pm »

I can take a look at it, as long as the wagon isn't being tormented by some kind of wild beast (in which case it would disappear).

toadyone@bay12games.com or somewhere downloadable
region folder in some kind of zip/rar/7z
any new objects that were added to the raw folder

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Lorithad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 09:03:00 pm »

K, i've emailed off the save file.
You should be able to just load it up and wait a few minutes for the caravan to arrive. Everything else is ready.

Also, with a little additional testing, I've discovered that trade depots can never be accessed if they are below the first underground layer.
I Made sure to make 3 tile wide ramps, as well as cleared any and all debris between the depot and the surface.
So unless i'm screwing something up, (which I guess is entirely possible) that would be another bug.

ein Syndication

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 05:57:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Lorithad:
<STRONG>
Also, with a little additional testing, I've discovered that trade depots can never be accessed if they are below the first underground layer.</STRONG>

It's a little confusing at first, but the way to do it is to put a 3x3 flat area between your ramps up. A ramp tile counts as one space you can stand on, so if you just put ramps right next to each other, they don't have enough room on each z-level to stand. 2x3 should technically be enough, but 3x3 is safer, I think.

... Er, that sounds confusing. Have a picture.

code:
__▼______
■■▲___▼■■
■■■■■■▲__

Edit: Ooh, prettier symbols ...

[ February 23, 2008: Message edited by: ein Syndication ]

Lorithad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 08:51:00 am »

Unless you need to have three in between the ramps that connect the different levels, mine should work. As I have a 4x8 wide hall.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 03:40:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Lorithad:
<STRONG>Unless you need to have three in between the ramps that connect the different levels</STRONG>

I do believe that is what the just said.

Lorithad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 06:57:00 pm »

...Yes, I understand what he said.
He said you need 3. Not exactly 3.

His version has ramp, 3 tiles, then ramp.
My version has ramp, 8 tiles, then ramp.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 11:48:00 pm »

I've fixed the wagon scuttling part -- that came from a bug with multiple depots.

I also got them to access the lower depot.  You need a channel opening up the upper ramp to the surface, and you also need a 3x3 clear floor area around the downward ramps.  It's sort of weird looking, but that's what the wagon needs.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 12:22:00 am »

So...
code:
__▼ _____
■■▲___▼ ■
■■■■■■▲__

?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 11:39:00 pm »

I didn't need the open space next to the down arrow, and that might cause it to fail, though I haven't tried it.  If that open space is a floor instead (yeah, that's weird), it works.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 03:39:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>I didn't need the open space next to the down arrow, and that might cause it to fail, though I haven't tried it.  If that open space is a floor instead (yeah, that's weird), it works.</STRONG>

I was basing the drawing off the previous one, assuming _ was floor and the boxes were solid rock.  But good to know what you meant.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 04:19:00 am »

Also be sure not to mine the space "behind" your ramps.

I.E.

code:

■■■
▲▲▲
+++

works

code:

■■+
▲▲▲
+++

is not working even if it's a floor above the top-right tile. The wagon can't climb the "empty space"

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 08:26:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Deon:
<STRONG>Also be sure not to mine the space "behind" your ramps.
code:

■■+
▲▲▲
+++

is not working even if it's a floor above the top-right tile. The wagon can't climb the "empty space"

</STRONG>

That's because the ramp goes up diagonally now.  Which makes sense.

Oracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2008, 12:31:00 pm »

I found that if you build 2 depots, and one is inacessable the caravans will do the dump-on-ground thing.  The best thing to do is stick with one depot.