Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: So I usually don't use mods...  (Read 10609 times)

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: So I usually don't use mods...
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2012, 02:12:47 am »

Also, since nobody replies to raw question, I assume there aren't guides for it... Is there some short of mod request thread or anything like that then?
Uh there are modding question threads, people spring request threads all the time and you can read the wiki for your raw explaination.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2012, 02:14:09 am »

The Corrosion tileset has some graphincs, but a lot of things like animals and such are still letters.
I am hurt and insulted...
Your mod need to tap on more aspects of DF. I only play technically advanced mods. Fun and lore arent a factor. No hard feeling.
I dunno, I think the tech tiers in LFR are pretty nifty. I definitely would never have come up with something like that.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2012, 02:17:27 am »

Uh, really? I mean, wiki seems to have explanation what tags and stuff mean and how to make dwarfs have all skills legendary, but I wouldn't call it guide... With guide I mean more of a tutorial ^^;

Shandra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2012, 02:27:21 am »

Raw questions... even with my little changes to them i must comment that besides the basic information you get at the wiki (both new version and old) there is no real guide I know of. Some attempts maybe in various threads here, but which loose their focus and lose the "I want it now" Information in their progression... For me it always was a switch between Forum Search (Post wise search) and Wiki Pages for each particular question that came to my mind.

On mods I don't have any advice - but even for the long time since last version: Whats about simply having *Fun*? A Megaproject, some weird concepts tried? Ok, I can understand that one might skip those if allready done in previous versions and so I would like to trick you into the really dirty task of *Science* -> wouldn't that be Fun? Getting some good World Gen Recipes for our current Version, maybe mixed up with some advices about History/Race/etc. Settings combined with mineral setting... Some Evil/Neutral/Good Binomes in one side with Sediments and Vulcanism and Iron and Flux and Fuel and Woods and... yeah, whatsoever? Something that will make you proud of yourself until you find out that exactly once you got it all in one place and ready to publish the new version is out and changes everything in worldgen :P Just Joking, it will happen with all the new stuff - but still, some real good recipes (well researched) for worlds couldn't hurt the wiki as it is now. *Science* is always the way for the bored ones, ain't it?

Of course - getting into the raws and compiling a good guide for the "2nd level"-newbie (Where you understand the ones you read but have many, many and many more questions via the ones you read unanswered) could also be *Science* and would earn the one who does it some status ;)

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2012, 02:28:53 am »

The Corrosion tileset has some graphincs, but a lot of things like animals and such are still letters.
I am hurt and insulted...
Your mod need to tap on more aspects of DF. I only play technically advanced mods. Fun and lore arent a factor. No hard feeling.
I dunno, I think the tech tiers in LFR are pretty nifty. I definitely would never have come up with something like that.
Alot of work in one (actually, quite a few) aspect(s) != work in most aspects. From the modding perspective, one trick or approach can be used to generate many changes or things ingame. Tricks and approachs in isolation can be easily understood without having to play. Only when you have alot of things entangled with each other, one shall need to actually playtest it to understand the true one nature behind the many visible tricks.

EDIT: Unless of course, the creator has handily pointed out and explained the stuff behind the scene.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 02:32:41 am by rephikul »
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2012, 02:37:42 am »

Raw questions... even with my little changes to them i must comment that besides the basic information you get at the wiki (both new version and old) there is no real guide I know of. Some attempts maybe in various threads here, but which loose their focus and lose the "I want it now" Information in their progression... For me it always was a switch between Forum Search (Post wise search) and Wiki Pages for each particular question that came to my mind.

On mods I don't have any advice - but even for the long time since last version: Whats about simply having *Fun*? A Megaproject, some weird concepts tried? Ok, I can understand that one might skip those if allready done in previous versions and so I would like to trick you into the really dirty task of *Science* -> wouldn't that be Fun? Getting some good World Gen Recipes for our current Version, maybe mixed up with some advices about History/Race/etc. Settings combined with mineral setting... Some Evil/Neutral/Good Binomes in one side with Sediments and Vulcanism and Iron and Flux and Fuel and Woods and... yeah, whatsoever? Something that will make you proud of yourself until you find out that exactly once you got it all in one place and ready to publish the new version is out and changes everything in worldgen :P Just Joking, it will happen with all the new stuff - but still, some real good recipes (well researched) for worlds couldn't hurt the wiki as it is now. *Science* is always the way for the bored ones, ain't it?

Of course - getting into the raws and compiling a good guide for the "2nd level"-newbie (Where you understand the ones you read but have many, many and many more questions via the ones you read unanswered) could also be *Science* and would earn the one who does it some status ;)

Huh... You have any good advanced world generation recipes?

Also, I'm not really good designer so I don't do mega projects. I also suck with magma, need to learn how to create pumps and get power for them better... I was at some point attempting to gain monarch, but one never appeared before I died.(even though I had the requirements done) In one raw edited game I'm trying to tame a dragon, but only forbidden beasts attack me... Even if I create world without titans, I still don't seem to get mega beasts.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2012, 02:51:56 am »

Dragons are quite rare creatures. combined with their long aging period they sometimes get killed early on, other times they are not anywhere NEAR your fort in the world, which is a factor.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2012, 02:55:49 am »

Yeah, but I haven't got other mega beasts either. Just forbidden beasts and ettins.

I'm going to try to create world without caverns and only mega beasts and see if I get one.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2012, 02:59:55 am »

check if you have caves and sites generated to house those mega beast. Dragons in vanilla take over 1000 years to mature so you might want to make sure your worlds age that long.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2012, 03:02:56 am »

Yeah, I know from legends that I do have had them. I guess I'm just that "unlucky".

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2012, 04:22:42 am »

I know we're rather pass the mod promotion part of this thread, but here we go. LFR is a good mod and you should give it a try. You got some pretty unique features to go with the interesting lore, which make for great community fortress stories. I myself mostly play for the features it has and will get when the new DF version is up. It gets pretty hard in the late game too, with all the voidwalker destroyers blasting around with their high tech weaponry. I'd say it's one of the few harder mods, and I've been playing since 40d. FPS wise, LFR has a simplified clothing feature (optional) where your invaders and dwarves won't be scattering socks and other unimportant clothes around draining your FPS, yet they will still have almost full clothing coverage and the benefits that brings.

I can vouch for Intensifying Mod & Masterwork for the vanilla feeling and FPS save, Corrosion and Ponies for awesome total conversion, FD for the intense difficulty and Genesis, Dig Deeper, Regen and Civ Forge for the diversity in races and items. But I think LFR is my top mod, as it combines all  of the above (other than the staying true to vanilla) - difficulty, diversity in races and items, total conversion feeling*.

(*with the tech tree it brings, LFR's definitely not just adding more items and races)

Anyway, that's my take on this.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2012, 04:40:33 am »

LoFR is also my most favorite mod.  In fact, I love LoFR so much, -it has a brand new, 1 day old upgrade to a new version, but I am STILL playing the previous version because it is surprising and delighting me so much still-.  That the forum game I'm active with is using that previous version has a factor in this persistence as well - but Narhiril has kept this promise that she uses to describe her mod - Countless hidden features and easter eggs which will not affect gameplay 99 out of 100 times, but are there to be discovered. No playthrough will be the same!
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2012, 09:41:49 am »

Hmm, so many mods ._. Probably not going to be able to play them all before new release.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2012, 09:53:27 am »

Hmm, so many mods ._. Probably not going to be able to play them all before new release.
But even when the new version comes out, and you play Vanilla till it's dead, most of these major mods will be updated to the new version.

EDIT:
I haven't found any acual step by step modding tutorials. Basically you just need to know tags and what they do, were raws are located "%DF Location%/raws/objects"

How to run a Text Editor

Also some basic understanding of programming helps, as some "TAGS" work in a flow format (you cannot make an ATTACK until you have a BODY defined, and some ATTACKS cannot be made until a TISSUE has been assigned to a BODY PART "scratch")

BUt be thankful that us modders on this fourm are friendly and are willing to answer questions *glares at COD:WAW modding community* as others are just useless jerks that will point you to a outdated tutorial that hardly explains anything, and what it does explain is just too simple.

EDIT:
to recap on our friendliness, I think most of the modders have answered the same questions over and over again :P

Which comes to mind I should make a Tutorial for new modders. And Tutorials on how to make "specfic" creatures types or effects.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 10:03:47 am by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2012, 09:56:38 am »

Yeah, but it also means I need to update all mods if I want to play them.

Anyway, so Intensifying mod and LFR mod next... What else was there?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5