Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Creating storage space  (Read 1184 times)

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Creating storage space
« on: February 03, 2012, 07:48:02 pm »

What do you do to create storage space? This has always been a problem for me because all mined out areas end up having mined out rocks on them. These must be dumped or used up before a stockpile can be designated. What do you do?

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creating storage space
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 07:53:12 pm »

Dirt layers are helpful.

Outside towers can help by giving you more room and by clearing spaces out.

Or mass dump the rocks onto a single spot
May the mass times acceleration be with you

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 08:05:02 pm »

I use a magma garbage dump: designate a garbage dump activity zone next to an open space above magma, and your dwarves will dump stuff into the magma. Everything is vaporized away, which I'm sure helps with FPS a little bit, but more importantly, it's clean and efficient.

Also, dwarves won't place things on top of stones, with the exception of bins/barrels. Sometimes you can't see the bins, which is why I dump all the stone anyway.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 08:43:25 pm »

What about in the short-term? Mass dumping always requires lots of manpower.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 08:46:27 pm »

Short term your miners suck so you don't make that much stone. As they make more stone, your manual labor increases and you can dump it.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 08:52:01 pm »

Dirt layers can help out at the beginning immensely. Simply make a nice big 31x31 (largest stockpile size) stockpile that accepts everything you need it to. Then as other areas get set up and you empty them of stone you can transfer items from your big stockpile over into the smaller ones.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 10:44:42 pm »

I never have much trouble with (lack of) storage space except for early on, and then I just store stuff aboveground (temporarily.) Dumping all the rocks in a given room into a corner of that room, or setting up a mason's or crafsdwarf's workshop and churning out blocks or pots tends to clean stuff up pretty quickly. I then use the blocks to build towers which I use as refuse (to prevent miasma) and/or drink (to stave off cave adaptation) stockpiles.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 10:46:15 am »

Insomuch as I can, I try and keep the trades, mechanisms and rock pots, going infinitely.  I build a bazillion stonefall traps in high traffic areas.  Also I tower upwards, like Andrew. 

I don't atomize stuff.  I tend to restart often, and don't care for late game, play.

Rock pots serve a double purpose in that they save space, and create space.  Make lots of rock pots and sell the empty low quality ones.

Sincerely, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Muffindog

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 12:35:49 pm »

Sand or soil layers are your fiends here. Not only do they provide space without leaving behind rock, you'll also have your miners trained in no time.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 06:01:33 pm »

What do you do to create storage space? This has always been a problem for me because all mined out areas end up having mined out rocks on them. These must be dumped or used up before a stockpile can be designated. What do you do?

Clear a 10x10 area of stone first, plus your nooby miners will hardly generate much stone. To top it off, it also gives your civs something to do. Hiding and marking all the stones for dumping works too.

My way to get around this is making my storage spaces GRATUITOUSLY LARGE, so that even with all the stone being hauled out, there's always a free space somewhere.