Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Natural walls and non-magma safe materials  (Read 5808 times)

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Natural walls and non-magma safe materials
« on: February 03, 2012, 01:13:49 pm »

How does magma interact with non-magma-safe natural walls and channels?  The wiki seems to specify that built objects need to be magma safe, but what about natural stuff?  Can I carve a channel through gneiss for magma without worry? If not, what happens to those natural walls?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Natural walls and non-magma safe materials
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 01:16:16 pm »

Constructions - including walls natural and built by you - are immune to magma, no matter what they are made from.  You can build walls out of wood and use them to channel magma safely.  Buildings (like furniture or workshops or trade depots) can be destroyed by magma, but constructions can't.  The one exception is natural ice walls, which will melt.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 02:10:49 pm »

Wait - does that mean that natural walls count as constructions? You just blew my mind.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 02:21:19 pm »

No, but it means that for the purposes of how the game handles them natural walls/floors function the same as constructions. In fact they are actually better then constructions since they can be smoothed/engraved and constructions can not.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.