Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Clusters of mountain halls [176.38a]  (Read 1745 times)

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
Re: Clusters of mountain halls [176.38a]
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2008, 02:22:00 pm »

I've had this happen to me before with humans. You'll see a dozen little plus signs all clumped together.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2008, 03:38:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fourth Triad:
<STRONG>You sure you got the seed right? All of mine looks exactly like op's.</STRONG>

I typed it in 3 times.  Each time I got the same map.  And yes, I was using 176.38a

ein Syndication

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2008, 04:49:00 pm »

It's really hard to pin this one down, it almost looks completely random. I gen'd this world four times, the third had only five or so extra human sites around a real town, the fourth had about 100 extra sites. The only thing I did was change how I exited the map screen, but I'm pretty sure it's not gonna reproduce that way next time. And, of course, none of the spams were from the dwarves from the original pictures.

Interestingly enough, though, the entire 100 extra sites were completely counted for by one single human civ. Not sure if it's just coincidence, but maybe just for some reason the one in charge of making the site has an indecisive or flighty nature and just keeps moving on, seeing as how one town had 80 of those spams, with the other two having only a handful.

Edit: Just noticed, in the second world I made, a mountainhall in the OP pic's area was just plain not there, but it was in all three other gens. No idea if it's somehow related, just never seen a town not show up at all before.

Edit 2: Um. I think I might have reproduced the site spam. Got one with about 50 extra human towns second gen after opening. The only thing I did was exit the "Your map's completed" screen using space and not exporting an image. The same humans from my original post have their sites spammed differently, but it's still only the same original set of towns. Only my second attempt at reproducing, though, so it could be a crazy coincidence.

Edit 3: Third attempt, same humans spamming, but this time it was only about 8 extra sites. I wouldn't have known there was anything wrong if I wasn't looking for it in the unit list, and if I wasn't keeping an eye on the same humans. You can find them far left, down two in the world view.

Just make the world, when it's done hit space, make same world again. That's all I did all three times. Normal number of sites should be around 549, but some sites don't always come back.

[ February 23, 2008: Message edited by: ein Syndication ]

Fourth Triad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2008, 05:21:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Draco18s:
<STRONG>

I typed it in 3 times.  Each time I got the same map.  And yes, I was using 176.38a</STRONG>

Weird, well so much for that idea. Anyone else having that problem? What OS's are people using? xp sp2 32bit

[ February 23, 2008: Message edited by: Fourth Triad ]

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2008, 06:11:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fourth Triad:
<STRONG>Weird, well so much for that idea. Anyone else having that problem? What OS's are people using? xp sp2</STRONG>

I'm going to try again, but it's supposed to be OS independant, and I'm running Windows XP 64 corp. ed.

Edit:
OK, found the problem.  I thought I'd updated that computer to 176.33a when it came out 'cause I wanted to screw around with those worlds, I infact have 173.33a, go figure.

[ February 23, 2008: Message edited by: Draco18s ]

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2008, 06:27:00 pm »

Perhaps explicitly specifying the seed is somehow preventing the problem?  The fact that we're getting varying results with the same computer and the same seed is quite strange.  It also suggests that the source of the problem is extermal to worldgen.  You sure you're not doing something stupid like deallocating the sound buffer while still using it?  *Shrug*  Something has to be messing up a flag somewhere...
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2008, 08:54:00 pm »

I'm still not getting anything.  Using space vs. enter shouldn't matter, since it's just an "or" in the code.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2008, 10:15:00 pm »

This bug doesn't make any sense to me, even though it keeps popping up... because the random seed is set, there shouldn't be any deviation... unless something overwrites some variable somewhere...
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Jothki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2008, 10:42:00 pm »

Did you happen to copy the current version you're using into an old folder?

SquidDNA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2008, 10:48:00 pm »

I got urban sprawl for dwarves, elves, humans, and goblins on the following seed:

Created in DF v0.27.176.38a.

[WORLD_GEN]
   [TITLE:STANDARD]
   [SEED:1512179828]

When the game was made in save slot three.

Relicnews Forums Fleet Biologist

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2008, 10:55:00 pm »

Well, that's the thing.  I'm assuming that some variable somewhere isn't being reset, or something isn't being cleaned properly.  The sprawl problem always seems to happen to people when they've made more than one world per session, so that is the most reasonable assumption.  However, there's a lot to check, and I have looked at it, but I haven't found anything yet.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

ein Syndication

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2008, 11:03:00 pm »

The only thing I can really think of is, somehow they decide to make their town somewhere, but before they can build anything, some sort of enemy chases them away and continues chasing them for a while. Or somehow something to do with personalities. But I didn't think either of those two things could possibly happen during worldgen in such a significant way if at all, so I have no idea. I just know I appear to get it reliably every second gen, though it's often so small you don't really notice. The part about having to use space was a little premature, I guess, 'cause I just did one with enter, second gen, and there was spam EVERYWHERE. 716 sites instead of 549, I mean there was even some elf village spam. Strangely enough, though, the number of events was noticeably lower. It's normally around 950,000, but with that 716 just now, there were only about 890,000 events.

I've tried it a number of times in a row. I can pretty much always get extra site spam if I gen the world, quickly leave the screen, then gen the same world. There's anywhere from 12 to 150 extra sites on the second world.
If I export an image before leaving, however ... Things get sort of interesting. I've just gen'd four worlds in a row without restarting, exporting an image each time. Normal number of sites is 549, but I get anywhere between 545 and 552 sites. Events can go down to as few as 860,000, too. But the first gen, it's always the same number of hist figs, deaths, and events, at least up to the thousands.

Windows XP 32-bit, dual core AMD 3.2ghz processor, 4gb memory. Just in case it matters.

My posts are very long. They make me laugh.

SquidDNA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2008, 11:05:00 pm »

Created in DF v0.27.176.38a.

[WORLD_GEN]
   [TITLE:STANDARD]
   [SEED:479935998]

Yeah more spam. Same session, I'll see if that makes a difference.

//

I restarted the game, spam is gone.

[ February 23, 2008: Message edited by: SquidDNA ]

Relicnews Forums Fleet Biologist

Nite/m4re

• Bay Watcher
  • Too Deep
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2008, 02:29:00 pm »

Never got this bug, but now that we can generate 17x17 worlds, I gave it a try. If you keep generating world after world in the same session WITHOUT playing them. Eventually you will get this to happen.

[ February 24, 2008: Message edited by: Nite/m4re ]

ein Syndication

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2008, 01:49:00 am »

Messing around with these new worlds, I found something that might be related. Only generated one world, and seeing as there were only a handful of them, I decided to try to wipe out all the elves. When my first adventurer got there, there were three groups of migrants directly around the elven retreat, one of which had the druid in it. Asking about most things, he said to wait until he got home.

Four adventurers later, those same three groups directly around the retreat are still there, the druid is still in what looks to be the same exact spot and refusing to give me more than family info. Perhaps the spam is this to a second degree, where instead of idling around in nearby squares, they decide they are homeless and build homes, sometimes causing them to idle in other nearby squares, etc.

Pages: 1 [2] 3