Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stockpile question  (Read 1692 times)

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stockpile question
« on: February 02, 2012, 05:18:10 pm »

Hello.

In my latest fort, I want to achieve a system where each dwarf's profession decides where in the fort they live. Each area with it's own workshops, bedrooms dining room, fun generator ect.
What I'm asking is that I plan to grow/ slaughter food in the farmer's district, beofre cooking it and sending it off to other districts for the rest of the populace. I can do this by setting stockpiles near each district's dining room to [t]ake from the farmer's 'master' stockpile. However, is there any way to set stockpiles to only store cooked food? I don't see any option on the stockpile screen but I may be missing it.

TL;DR How to set stockpiles for only cooked food?

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stockpile question
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 05:20:48 pm »

Prepared meals are a 'special' setting under the food section, found in the bottom right - you'd just have to forbid any other type of food from going into the stockpile by enabling food, then blocking all IIRC.

Cabbagetroll

• Bay Watcher
  • likes weiner dogs for their endless pluck
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 06:32:41 pm »

I believe the letter for toggling prepared meals is "u."

Firbozz Pieman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 10:29:50 pm »

Beware, though. I'm pretty sure only one stockpile can have any single stockpile as a source.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 10:32:17 pm »

No, a stockpile can have more than one stockpile as a source.  A stockpile can only feed into one other stockpile, though.  So stockpiles A and B can both feed into C, but A can't feed into B and C, or C and D.  Many-In-One-Out.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 01:22:03 am »

you only tell a food stockpile yes or no on whether it should contain cooked meals.
sadly, there is no option for "ONLY" cooked meals
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 02:14:23 am »

No, a stockpile can have more than one stockpile as a source.  A stockpile can only feed into one other stockpile, though.  So stockpiles A and B can both feed into C, but A can't feed into B and C, or C and D.  Many-In-One-Out.
I can confirm you have your logic backwards, Ghills.  Many-Out-One-In is how its structured.  I've had four different 6 tile wood stockpiles successfully taking from a single large (75+ tile) stockpile on the surface, just as an example.  My haulers fill the smaller piles first, then the main one.  As wood is used from the small piles, haulers take from the large pile and refill all of the smaller ones in what appears to be a pretty much random order (so they fill about evenly).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 03:18:06 am »

Are you completely sure about that? I've just tried telling two stockpiles to take from the same source, and the second one seemed to cancel the first (the designation disappeared from its 'q' screen). Also, a stockpile was successfully assigned several sources. The wiki also has many-in-one-out:
Each stockpile can take from any number of other stockpiles, but can only have one stockpile taking from it in turn.

Lmaoboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 05:10:03 am »

you only tell a food stockpile yes or no on whether it should contain cooked meals.
sadly, there is no option for "ONLY" cooked meals
Actually, you can block absolutely everything in the food list, but have prepared food toggled on, and it will only take prepared.

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 08:41:57 am »

Are you completely sure about that? I've just tried telling two stockpiles to take from the same source, and the second one seemed to cancel the first (the designation disappeared from its 'q' screen). Also, a stockpile was successfully assigned several sources. The wiki also has many-in-one-out:
Each stockpile can take from any number of other stockpiles, but can only have one stockpile taking from it in turn.

When i set stockpile B to take from stockpile C, when stockpile A is already taking from stockpile C, stockpile A will no longer take from stockpile C.

You can, however, have stockpile A take from B, and B from C, and as such all stockpiles will effectively be taking from A.