Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarven caravan in summer  (Read 1148 times)

Edges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven caravan in summer
« on: February 02, 2012, 03:46:07 pm »

The humans vanished from the world quite a few years back. Trading is such a vital part of my fortress that I miss them.

Is there a way to get dwarven traders to come in the summer as well as the fall?

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven caravan in summer
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 04:12:20 pm »

you'd need to change active season in their entity file in the raws.  I think you'd also have to create a new world.

Edges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 05:54:14 pm »

I don't know anything about programming, but based off of the apparent pattern, I should replace [ACTIVE_SEASON:AUTUMN] with [ACTIVE_SEASON:AUTUMN:SUMMER] in the region's save file.

Is this correct?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 06:03:15 pm »

No.  You will want to have the two seasons in separate lines:

[ACTIVE_SEASON:SUMMER]
   [ACTIVE_SEASON:AUTUMN]

Of course, this will have no effect on a world already in progress.  You need to generate a new world for entity raw changes to take effecti.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Stefrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 10:35:46 am »

Appendum : Why is it that humans die this easily?
(Last 10-20 forts had no human traders, but elves/goblins do appear and even a kobold once in a while)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 12:19:47 pm »

Are you sure that the humans are dead completely? (As in you checked legends mode to make sure that none were still alive?) Because it's possible that the humans could have simply only shown up on a different part of the continent that is inaccessible from where you are. This would mean that in most places of the world you wouldn't have humans, but in other places you would.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Edges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 01:04:44 pm »

In my case, the humans traded for a few years then stopped coming. They no longer appear on the c screen.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 01:14:49 pm »

In my case, the humans traded for a few years then stopped coming. They no longer appear on the c screen.

That seems highly unlikely.  Once your fortress is created, world history outside your site stops.  Civilizations can't go extinct if they existed when you started playing fortress mode.  I'd like to see screenshots, or better yet an uploaded save folder.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Edges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 02:17:48 pm »

Really!? It's happened to me in about a third of the fortresses I've had. Usually it's the dwarves that dissappear but in this case it's the humans. I could show you a screenshot of the c screen I guess. But that wouldn't confirm that they traded with me in the beginning. Could you settle for my word on it?

Is there some explanation other than extinction for why caravan's stop coming coinciding with a disappearance of the corresponding civilization on the c screen? I've always given huge profits to the traders. So I couldn't imagine it would be that they are upset.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 03:29:38 pm »

They wouldn't happen to be at war with you by any chance? :P

Also, sieges stop caravans. Have you been victimised by unfortunate timings? :d

Edges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 03:33:50 pm »

I don't know why they would be at war with me. I've usually been as polite as can be and left them with 300% profits. Maybe my parent civ had a problem with them.

As for sieges, they always show up with a caravan and are disposed of before the next season. So that wouldn't be it.

But would war and/or siege account for their disappearance from the c screen?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 03:54:22 pm »

No.  Being at war with a civilization doesn't cause it to disappear from the c screen, and having sieges at your fortress doesn't cause civilizations to disappear from the c screen.  In fact, as far as I can tell, nothing can cause a civilization to disappear from the c screen.  If you can reproduce this behavior reliably, I'd like to see before and after screens, or a save of a game where it's happened.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 04:19:59 pm »

Speaking of missing civilizations, I don't suppose there's a way to add them into a save? I forgot to check for elves and I miss them :(

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 06:08:10 pm »

Speaking of missing civilizations, I don't suppose there's a way to add them into a save? I forgot to check for elves and I miss them :(
Other then re-embarking in a different location where they are or regenerating the world to get them to show up? No.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Edges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 06:30:55 pm »

No.  Being at war with a civilization doesn't cause it to disappear from the c screen, and having sieges at your fortress doesn't cause civilizations to disappear from the c screen.  In fact, as far as I can tell, nothing can cause a civilization to disappear from the c screen.  If you can reproduce this behavior reliably, I'd like to see before and after screens, or a save of a game where it's happened.

Well, I don't intend on starting a new fortress for a while.

Are old saves preserved or written over? I have assumed that unless you go out of your way to save elsewhere, that they aren't preserved. In which case, I can't get you a before and after.

The first time happened with the dwarves. They stopped coming after about 5 years. No traders, liaisons, or migrants. I checked the c screen and dwarves were missing. I searched around on this forum and discovered that quite a few people had experienced it. The main explanation people gave was extinction. I abandoned that and a later fort for this reason. When it happened in my current fort with humans, I thought I'd start this thread rather than abandon again.

So I don't know what to say. Apparently, others have experienced it.
Pages: [1] 2